Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 10:56:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Scots Militia Pentland/Covenanter Risings  (Read 6269 times)

Offline Pikeman Nasty

• Schoolboy
Scots Militia Pentland/Covenanter Risings
« on: August 12, 2015, 07:21:49 PM »
So currently researching/painting for Battle of Rullion Green, part of the Covenanter Pentland Risings of 1666. Now most of the units uniform is accounted for. However as it is an action fought by the Scots army of the time, the two militia units have very little information on what kit they actually wore, as it is not listed on the English Army list. Contemporary prints show that they were wearing brimmed hats, rather than Scots Bonnets and the Ballad of Bothwell Brig has them wearing Blue Coats lined with grey. That's all good, but would still be interested in what colour breeches/stockings were worn, or indeed any further uniform differentiation. Does anyone have any further knowledge regarding these units?

Offline julesav

• Scientist
Re: Scots Militia Pentland/Covenanter Risings
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 10:07:35 AM »
Scots Lowlanders always seem to tend to 'hodden grey' as a default option, if that's any help?
"Some scientists say that humans exhibit a behavior called neophilia, which is a preference for new objects. It’s why we like shiny new things."

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 06:58:28 PM »
Hi - interesting! No idea but have you tried John Childs' "The Army of Charles II"? If I'm right it had a chapter on the Covensnt campaign of 1666 (hope saying that I've remembered correctly!). Also, I think Partizan Press have a book on the post ECW/pre Marlburian Scottish armies by Stuart Reid but if they have I've never read it so no idea if it's any good. I suspect you may have already tapped these sources but, if not, I hope this is of some help? Interesting subject! Let us know what you find out in the end?
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 09:00:28 PM »
You would be lucky if the Covenanters had any sort of Uniform. Field signs would be the only way to distinguish them on the field.

Offline Pikeman Nasty

• Schoolboy
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 10:26:14 PM »
So having perused through the Army lists/Childs "The Army of Charles II" and Charles Dalton's "The Scots  Army 1661-81" I've  found no information regarding the blue uniforms reference. Haven't been able to get hold of Stuart Reid's Partizan Press book in any Scots libraries, so not sure whether that has any further information in or not. However talking to Stephen Ede-Borrett, who is very well versed regarding the period, he feels a standardisation of bonnets would not be  widespread, even in the Civil War.  As for the coats, the price of blue cloth,  compared to red or undyed grey cloth, supports the latters predominance among Scots Militia during the Covenanting period. Any further insight from anyone with further research/the Reid book would be much appreciated.

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 10:40:31 AM »
Is it the book "The Last Scot's Army 1661-1714" that you are talking about? If so i have it and ill try and see what info there is. I know when i was looking at doing Bothwell Bridge i was going to use Monmouth Militia figures from Front Rank and paint them in a variety of Drab colours.

Offline Pikeman Nasty

• Schoolboy
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 06:52:09 PM »
"The Last Scots Army" book is exactly the one I was looking for and I think that's a perfect way of highlighting the militia. Any further information would be hugely appreciated  :)

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 08:59:24 PM »
All Reid makes ref to is Blue coats lined in white. No mention of breeches and stockings.