Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 12:55:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: can liquid green stuff be used in a sculpt that will be cast?  (Read 3190 times)

Offline ShortscaleDave

• Scientist
can liquid green stuff be used in a sculpt that will be cast?
« on: August 20, 2015, 10:50:58 PM »
currently working on a sculpt that will be cast and resin minis produced - does GWs liquid green stuff survive the casting process like normal putties?  There's a couple of things I'd like to use it for but am worried it won't work when the mould is made!

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
Re: can liquid green stuff be used in a sculpt that will be cast?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 10:57:37 PM »
It should work fine, i can imagine it might crack and break up if used too thickgetting pulled away with the silicone, but you can clean the mould up afterwards.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 11:31:33 PM »
I suspect it would survive the casting process as it withstands fairly high temperatures. This being said, I don't like it. When it came out, I was excited about the concept and tried it extensively for various sculpting applications. However, I didn't find any situation where it performed better than a standard putty. The main problem for me is that it becomes "furry" rather than smooth when dry as there seem to be some very small fibres in it.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 09:14:05 AM »
Resin casts tend to hold more detail from the original hand-sculpt than other usual casting methods (i.e., metal or plastic).

I don't personally think you get much smoothness from Liquid GS, being essentially just coloured wood filler with more water added to loosen it up.

I feel that you would be better off with some Milliput washes, as these can be further sanded down afterwards to an extremely smooth finish.

For fine surface imperfections like scratches, you can also lightly spray the area with an automotive sandable primer, and then after it's fully dried for 24h you can very lightly sand it to get a really smooth finish.

Ultimately though, whether Liquid GS "will work" does also depend somewhat on what/how exactly you're applying it. A little more info would be helpful please!

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 10:59:08 PM »
Tamiya does a green modelling putty in a tube. Is this GW stuff just a repackaging of that?

Offline ShortscaleDave

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 11:24:48 PM »
thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.  the intention was to fin grit sand it however i think i shall heed your advice and go with miliput washes (and more sanding anyway!).  I'm working on somthing for Forge of Ice and will post a progress thread soon :)

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 03:07:08 AM »
Tamiya does a green modelling putty in a tube. Is this GW stuff just a repackaging of that?

I don't believe it is. The Tamiya, I think, is a sticky putty that is great for dealing with larger, mechanical model types such as planes and tanks, where you can fill the gap and then sand it smooth. It's a pain in the rear to sculpt anything with it, and the modifications to a mini I made (hood and mask to an overcoated figure for a scifi game) weren't difficult ones to make, but took forever to look right because it's to soft early on and it oozes a lot until dry because it isn't really intended for that kind of thing. It's almost like spackle, save a lot stickier and stains things, but is night indestructible once hardened.

Liquid Greenstuff, from my experiences is more of the texture of a slightly thicker liquid paper. It's decent for filling small gaps and imperfections, but the container dries out quickly...it's also rather interesting for making nurgal/plagued/zombie conversions...

Normal greenstuff is keadatite, and is a two part epoxy that can work well for gap filling and works extremely well for softer detail work, brown stuff being a counterpart that works well for the harder detail work...