Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 02:11:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Clear Acrylic Bases?  (Read 1924 times)

Offline coopman827

• Assistant
Clear Acrylic Bases?
« on: August 26, 2015, 09:56:39 PM »
Is anyone using these for their figures?  I personally find them unattractive by comparison with the normal flocked or terrained bases that we have all used since the beginning of time.  I guess that there is a market for them somewhere or they wouldn't be making them. 

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
Re: Clear Acrylic Bases?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 12:40:09 AM »
I am not but it is simply because I have been collecting for a long time and want all my figs based in similar fashion. If I were not so anal I would use them especially for my skirmish level game figs because the table terrain is so varied and the clear bases allow that to show through.   

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 01:58:01 AM »
I've started using them for my pulp skirmish figures and they look okay. They are far less intrusive in the flesh than thay appear in photos (I've seen pics where the edge shines quite brightly).

Having said that, I wouldn't use them for massed troops because I like the look of good multi-figure bases.
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Valerik

• Mad Scientist
  • "...promiscuously brandishing a revolver..."
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 02:23:32 AM »
I'm using the hand-made ULTRA-INVISO™ 20MM BASES  that Wolf Girl, aka Mila Phipps, creates for the Phipps Cartel, aka Pulp Alley, game, store, lifestyle, cult, or obsession, whichever you prefer.

http://store.pulpalley.com/product-p/1320.htm

Or I'm rolling mine own with the handy dandy rusty trusty punch stolen from the leather shop, or a mech one I purchased from Michael's.

Mind you these are purely for individual figures in Pulp Alley skirmish games using multifarious environments.

The very thin-ness of Mila's ULTRA-INVISO™ bases is what sold me, over other offerings out there.
To me they look & "feel" better with un-based vehicles, aircraft, buildings & scenery, whether next to or ON 'em.

I haven't even considered them for unit based wargames, which I doubt I'll ever buy/build/paint for again.

I'm a returning gamer, after 3 decades of absence & an almost complete lead pile divestiture, plus a dearth of local opponents.  
Thus skirmish, suited so to solo as tis, seems the way to go, & my present path.

"Curse you Bob Murch & Mike Demana too"

I'm looking backwards from Pulp Ally & The Volstead Act to Song of Drums and Tomahawks with the stalwart Swedes on the Delaware.  
I plan to ULTRA-INVISO™ base those Minquas & Squareheads I paint to blend with forest, field, fort, rock, redoubt, ship, shore or snow.  
Again though, skirmish games with individual figures, not units. 

& while we're in the confessional I might as well add "curse you too Matthew Beauchamp"

For forcing me to allow HER to tip me over the edge into ordering sample Hydra Valkeeri...
As a marketing ploy she worked splendidly, at least on this susceptible old man.

Mathew's Galactic Glamazons will lead a future Retro Space Pulp alien invasion league for Pulp Alley. 
Did I mention that lovely as they are the Valkeeri will doubtless require Murchification? 
In the form of a Radon Zombie gang for Earth Askaris furthering their interplanetary nefarious schemes?

Yeah focus is fruitless on my Pulp Planet....

Bottom line(s): 

I quite like the way the thin discrete ULTRA-INVISO™ bases make my figures look standing on ANYTHING.

The thicker Litko ones I've got may see use for critters or plot points, or or weapons, or simple scenery pieces.

& it's actually much easier, & far less labour intensive or materiel hungry than traditional scenic-ed bases.

Valerik

...As someone with no personal intrinsic originality (a simple thief of my betters)...
Lysander 2/7/14
BGR

"Fart in the devil's face"
Martin Luther