Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:09:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Company B Model T contest  (Read 7276 times)

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
    • http://www.companyb.biz
Company B Model T contest
« on: November 09, 2008, 06:49:35 PM »
Ok, I've been held up with delays from work and other distractions long enough!  Time to get this started!

I'll confer with Alex on how to judge the entries on the forum after we get a good number of participants.  In the meantime, I want to make sure everyone who wants one can order a model set, and folks have time to plan their builds.

Rules are simple:

1. Acquire a model T base kit.  This is the kit on the following page:
http://homepage.mac.com/brentdietrich/ModelT_variants.htm
2. Build a model using the kit in one of two categories. Armored variant or weapon carrier or a transport vehicle.  Bonus points if your model is modular (as in, the back end is one piece and can be redesigned as a kit later)
3.  Submit your photo of the painted and assembled models to me.  Lets give this a end date of Jan 30th, 2009.  If I need to extend it, I will.  Send photos to me at brentdietrich@mac.com
4.  I'll post a gallery of everyones work here: http://homepage.mac.com/brentdietrich/Gallery_Tcontest.html
5. For those overseas, I'd suggest gathering together buddies here via the forum, and we can sent a bulk shipment of these kits to a single address.  Multiple kit orders get a 10% discount.
6.  I'd prefer folks to scratch build all the pieces, but I'll post a page of accessories tonight (turrets, more stowage, guns, etc.)
7: Winner will be selected via voting on this forum, similar to the painting contests.  Winner will get a voucher for some nice Company B kits from our store!  and the chance to have their model turned into a regular kit!  I'll try and get some prizes of some built up models as well for runner up prizes.
8:  Get Going! 

Brent
Company B
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 06:58:01 PM by CompanyB »

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Company B Model T contest
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 09:54:23 PM »
Hi Brent,

I just want to express my best wishes to all who place their model into the competition.

Talking about Model T Fords. I received my two scout, one tender and one ambulance from Lon the other week. I'm looking forward in building these models for my demo game coming up next month.

I hope you can work on a later scout car that the Brits and ANZACs used for later in the conflict.

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 06:27:33 PM »
Hi Brent,

I want to get started by ordering a kit, but I want to wait until the list of extras is available.  Whenever I hit that link, however, I am directed to a page that says: "We're sorry, but we can't find the HomePage you've requested."  Can you explain what's going on, or perhaps just email me the list of extras?  Thanks.

Mancha
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 07:01:13 PM by Mancha »

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 10:33:15 PM »
I have the same problem !!!! I diden`t want to miss the contest so let us know what is going on .
Grimm
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 01:51:33 AM »
Not to detract from a really fine modelling job, but I don't get this truck:

If memory serves, this is based on a real design.  Why would they fail to extend the armored compartment through the back of the truck?  Instead, the driver and a gunner are crammed into the cab.  I would understand if it's an armored tractor, but I don't see any evidence that it tows something.  And what's the purpose of the armored plates on the back of the truck; to protect the axle?

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 07:40:01 AM »
I've added a quick list to the site, so that link should work now.

More stuff is coming, as well as pictures for the accessory list.

-Brent

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 08:45:17 PM »
Anyone can also just send us a list of what they want as far as the base kit, crew, accessories, etc and I'll fwd an invoice.

e-mail   companyb@comcast.net with your order list, and label the heading Company B Model T contest.

Ok, so we have 5 entrants thus far!  Looks to be a small contest!

-Brent
Company B

Offline koz10

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 11:09:40 PM »
Not to detract from a really fine modelling job, but I don't get this truck:

Thanks, I had lots of fun with this (well, now that the rivet thing is done and over!)

If memory serves, this is based on a real design.  Why would they fail to extend the armored compartment through the back of the truck?  Instead, the driver and a gunner are crammed into the cab.  I would understand if it's an armored tractor, but I don't see any evidence that it tows something.  And what's the purpose of the armored plates on the back of the truck; to protect the axle?

To answer your questions honestly, who knows? Take a look a the design of almost anything mechanical up until the 1940s and you can question the design (good examples - French bombers!) The reason the back might not be extended could be lack of metal plate or, more likely, the inability of the rear to support the extra weight. Remember much of what was produced were likely quick and easy conversions.

It's not an amored tractor but an armored truck.

The armored plates on the back are to protect stuff - things stored in the rear, people transported in the back and possibly fuel. Here's what I found on the web:

"Body - made of armour plates, screwed to the body frame. In front - short engine compartment, not separated from the combat compartment. A radiator before the engine was protected with a hatch. There was only a single door on the right side of the combat compartment. The compartment had 4 loop-holes for machineguns, one in each wall. In the wall before the driver there was a window with a hatch. In the rear, there was a low transport compartment, probably covered with hatches. According to the source [1], it could be used to carry spare parts, fuel, ammunition and, in emergency, several men. The car was initially equipped with an iron frame, fixed to the front and used for breaking wire entanglements, which was apparently removed during service. The car had a single searchlight on the roof."

http://derela.republika.pl/jeffery.htm

I hope this helps. The oddness of the vehicles of WWI and the RCW are what draw me to this period!

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 12:42:15 AM »
he oddness of the vehicles of WWI and the RCW are what draw me to this period!

I certainly agree with you there!

From the site you cited, perhaps an answer to my Why? question: "The profile of their lower body part made easier overcoming terrain obstacles and breaking wire entanglements and poles."

Anyway, as I said, my curiosity was not meant to detract from an excellent modelling job.  Brent should immediately make a mold of this.

Mancha

Offline koz10

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 07:38:58 AM »

From the site you cited, perhaps an answer to my Why? question: "The profile of their lower body part made easier overcoming terrain obstacles and breaking wire entanglements and poles."

Anyway, as I said, my curiosity was not meant to detract from an excellent modelling job.  Brent should immediately make a mold of this.

Mancha

Hey, no offense taken. Right, I think the V at the bottom of the middle of the car will allow it to traverse small trenches. Or that may have been the intent - with a frame contraption on the front the car looks like the intent was to be able to cross trenches...  only one of the few photos I've seen of it looks like it actually got stuck in a trench. So much for plans vs actuality...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 08:13:29 AM »
Anyone can also just send us a list of what they want as far as the base kit, crew, accessories, etc and I'll fwd an invoice.

e-mail   companyb@comcast.net with your order list, and label the heading Company B Model T contest.

Ok, so we have 5 entrants thus far!  Looks to be a small contest!

-Brent
Company B

I will most likely be in it to.

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 08:15:44 AM »
Just waiting for payday.  ;)
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 01:22:41 PM »
I'm sorely tempted. I haven't touched a paintbrush in two or three months, and it's been longer than that since any serious model-building got done...

I didn't see any prices on the Company B bits list?

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 06:07:53 PM »
The accessories list is so new, I have not posted prices....or pictures...

In general, metal bits are about $.50 US each and the resin turret is $1.00

As this is a promotional "event"  if you wish to acquire a small pile of items, you can e-mail us direct and get a quote.  With our initial stock on the accessories, I wanted the purchases limited to contest entrants for now.  This would ensure that everyone can get what they need/want for their build.

If anyone needs tips, or advice, you can post questions here, or I can create a new thread.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 10:59:54 AM »

Mancha

Hey, no offense taken. Right, I think the V at the bottom of the middle of the car will allow it to traverse small trenches. Or that may have been the intent - with a frame contraption on the front the car looks like the intent was to be able to cross trenches...  only one of the few photos I've seen of it looks like it actually got stuck in a trench. So much for plans vs actuality...

I agree with producing this model.  I like the look of this silly car and would be worthy in a RCW game.