Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:31:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690842
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Apprentice improvements in a champaign  (Read 1363 times)

Offline Fencing Frog

• Scientist
    • Fencing Frog
Apprentice improvements in a champaign
« on: September 22, 2015, 02:22:38 PM »
Apprentices rise in ability along with their wizard in a campaign correct?
As per the book(sorry I have the kindle format so I don't have Page numbers) :  "Apprentices are a special case when it comes to their sat-line.  Instead of having a fixed stat-line, as do other characters, an apprentice will generate his stat-line as a function of the Wizards stat-line.  Essential, the apprentice is learning his trade from the Wizard.... As the wizard gets better, so too will the Apprentice"

See a little further on...

"To determine your apprentice's Stat-line, Subtract 2 from your wizards Fight, Shoot, and will states and subtract 4 from Health."  (some Charts) "An Apprentice's sate line will always be based on the Wizard's actual stat..."

So for example if my fight stat is raised to +3 my Apprentice should have a fight of +1 Correct?

Offline JohnDSD2

• Librarian
Re: Apprentice improvements in a champaign
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 03:08:04 PM »
That's my understanding.

It's not easy being an Apprentice, if your Wizard increased his stats so that the Apprentice becomes equivalent to the Wizards starting stats then it would take 24 levels! (2 fight, 2 Shoot, 4 Health and 2 for each of 8 spells), makes them expendable when you think of it that way and the prospect of replacing a dead Wizard with a low level Apprentice less attractive when it comes to game play, from a narrative point of view it is of course the right thing to do.

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 03:19:24 PM »
You are playing it correctly.  The idea is actually that the apprentice is always 10 level behind his wizard (represented by the stats).  The -2 to casting is more a lack of magical knowledge - the wizard not quite giving away everything because either the apprentice 'isn't ready' or the wizard just doesn't full trust his apprentice. If the wizard dies, the apprentice gets full access to his magical library and thus loses the -2 spellcasting penalty.

Offline Fencing Frog

• Scientist
    • Fencing Frog
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 03:21:30 PM »
You are playing it correctly.  The idea is actually that the apprentice is always 10 level behind his wizard (represented by the stats).  The -2 to casting is more a lack of magical knowledge - the wizard not quite giving away everything because either the apprentice 'isn't ready' or the wizard just doesn't full trust his apprentice. If the wizard dies, the apprentice gets full access to his magical library and thus loses the -2 spellcasting penalty.

Great Thanks Joe