Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 02:54:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696311
  • Total Topics: 118758
  • Online Today: 465
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Newbie - Stargate vs Mummy vs Indiana Jones  (Read 2403 times)

Offline wargame_insomniac

• Assistant
Pulp Newbie - Stargate vs Mummy vs Indiana Jones
« on: September 22, 2015, 10:00:00 PM »
Hi

Long tie lurker, recently joined, first time poster.

I found this forum a couple of years when searching for 28mm Stargate Minis after a marathon including all 10 Seasons of SG1 and 5 Seasons of Atlantis plus movies. Thanks to you guys I managed to find Cold War Minis and picked up a few of their various Jaffa packs. So far I have painted 4 of Skull Cap Jaffa, 8 of Serpent Guard Jaffa, Jaffa Prime, Stargate and DHD. I also bought a couple of not-SG1 teams including Cold War Minis and Haaslefree Miniatures, plus some resin scenery pieces and the Soma Egyptian Adventure temple. I bought a couple of Stargate RPG books, not to run as RPG, but as background material for scenario ideas etc.

I was stuck with finding a skirmish ruleset that could cope with half a dozen to dozen figures. I tried 7TV with a friend using retro sci-fi figues. Good fun game but was nt sure it had the feel for a Stargate minis game for me. No one else at my local club seemed particulalrly interested so got put on backburner.

A few months back I found Bob Murch's Pulp Figures online. Thought they looked cool but unlikely to order from US. Then a week ago I was browsing on North Star Minis for Battlemats and I spotted that they also carried Bob Murch's Pulp Figures range together wth Fistfull of Kung Fu, Ronin. Acthung Cthula and In Her Majesty's Name,

I'm sure it is not an original idea, but what if I crammed those all together in a Pulp Games..... 1930's Stargate meets The Mummy and Indiana Jones. I may not have any Stargate fans at my local club but, from playing Fortune and Glory and Eldritch Horror bordgames, I knew we had a couple of hardcore Pulp fanatics and another half a dozen or so who might dip in and out.

It would be mean I would probably have to collect, buy and paint ALL the factions (at least initially) but I figued 6-12 figures would be enough for most factions. Plus after playing WFB and 28mm Historical Wargames, that was far less than the average units had to paint previously. Plus would be a fun excuse to paint all sorts of wacky and fun figures that would never normally see the tabletops.

So the others will be PC's playing the 1930's SG1 team and allies, whilst I would be GM playing enemies of the week. I am lookig through Pulp Alley as possible ruleset having got free download.

Initially 3 Acts: 1st Act to find the Stargate, 2nd Act to get it working by sourcing the hard to find parts, 3rd Act actually using Stargate. So it would allow the PC's to improve before they face the Jaffa.

The idea is to have each of the intended factions to be either (secretly) worshipping a Go'Auld or have been secretly infiltrated by a Go'Auld or one of their minions. Some will be obvious. e.g. In Her Majesty's Name Servants of Ra. Other hopefully less obvious.

My initial plan will be to come with a Go'Auld and colour suitable for each faction:
Cultists   Ra  Colour Red
Thugees  Kali  Colour ??
Mafia  Set  Colour ??
Triads  ??  Colour ??
Ronin  ??  Colour ??
German military   ??  Colour ??

I am off to do some research to finalise my list but wanted to see what you guys thought so far.

Thanks very much

James
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 10:06:11 PM by wargame_insomniac »

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
Re: Pulp Newbie - Stargate vs Mummy vs Indiana Jones
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 10:50:52 PM »
Have a look at Flying Lead by Ganesha Games. It might give you enough to work with. I'm sure folks have used Pulp Alley for some Stargate-related gaming as well.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 10:36:15 AM »
I've used Pulp Alley successfully for Stargate. There's a couple of ways of generating SG-1 leagues. Here's one I created based on the early series.

There's a new Pulp Alley perk where you can have a four man league that is comprised entirely of sidekicks. For me, it means slightly downgrading Jack and upgrading Carter, Jackson & Teal'c. Suppose that would better reflect the mid to later series where it was an ensemble cast rather than a star vehicle for RDA.

There was a discussion over at TMP a few weeks ago http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=392966

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 01:04:54 PM »
How about the system lord Yu (Yu-huang Shang Ti) for the Triad?
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 11:07:00 PM »
Thanks nozza_uk. I found your SG1 League when I gogled Stargate Pulp Alley.

v_lazy_dragon - I did think about Yu but I think I wanted a female Go'Auld as the main protagonist.

Basically I figured that having Ra as the main protagonist would be too obvious as will definitely be getting these:
http://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=5260

I love the Dragon Lady in this pack:
http://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=5259

I thought of making her a minor Go'Auld stuck on earth without the power of a System Lord to be able to call for help to leave.

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 04:47:49 PM »
Thanks nozza_uk. I found your SG1 League when I gogled Stargate Pulp Alley.

No worries. I've added my latest SG-1 Pulp Alley league and added the Jaffa league that I use.

http://www.freewebs.com/norrins/pulpalleymiscleagues.htm

They do use some abilities that have been retired by the latest Pulp Alley book. However, my gaming group aren't fussed about that, so they get used as they are!  :D

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 11:35:39 PM »
Have started to sketch out my first ideas for Pulpgate.
I am thinking 6 scenarios mainly Egypt based to find the Stargate in Part 1.
Then a similar number spread geogrpahically wider for them to "fix" the Stargate y acquiring various artifacts in Part 2.
And only then send 1930's adventurers through the Stargate to face the Go'Auld in Part 3.

For Egypt I am thinking of starting in east in Heliopolis in Temple of Ra.
Then heading west across the Nile mirroring the daily journey of the god Ra into the west.
I can't miss out Temple of Anubis with terrain I acquired so get to see City of Dead.
Figured one cenario out in the desert allowing me to use some French Foriegn Legion and Tuaregs.
Then finish at Giza.

What I need to do next, and I will have some time off work post operation. is to match each of the above with Pulp Alley scenarios, working out what other figures will need to buy.

That's the starting Grand Plan - the reality might end up being more modest.
Initial limiting factor will be my ability / speed to paint up all of the figures.
And then maybe the availability of likely players to make games club.

Just awaiting on the arrival of IHMN's Black Dragon Tong and Servants of Ra for my first baddies.