Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:36:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Gaming Mat Kickstarter - looks interesting  (Read 4140 times)

Offline Nooblord

• Librarian
Gaming Mat Kickstarter - looks interesting
« on: September 28, 2015, 02:15:11 AM »
Hi,

There is a kickstarter for 3' by 3' impregnated felt gaming mats:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/987582441/subf-x-gaming-mats-for-miniature-board-gaming?ref=discovery

The 'frosted cobblestone' mat screamed out 'Frostgrave' to me and I might well back this one (they are also doing a pure snow mat and a more icy looking one as well as normal cobblestones and dungeon flooring).

A £19 pledge gets one mat of your choice with free postage in the UK.

Anyone else backing this?

« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 02:29:51 AM by Nooblord »

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Gaming Mat Kickstarter - looks interesting
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 11:20:24 AM »
Hadn't seen that kickstarter before.  Thnaks for teh info.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 12:07:19 PM »
Hmm, looks okay, but I would expect something a bit more... professional-looking TBH. I mean, it's a basic repeating cobble texture with a ropey "frost" effect over it. :?

I think the cobbles need a bit of variation to break up the cut-n-paste look, they need to look cold/frosted (rather than clean, sunny and warm), and the bigger frost patches should be more realistic-looking and integrated. As it is right now, it looks like something that anyone with my level of Photoshop skill (i.e., low!) can do in a few minutes with a free texture from Google Images.

Of course, if you like it, then please disregard my comments!  lol

Offline Polkovnik

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 12:31:11 PM »
Yes, I agree. The frost effect looks more like clouds. I'm surprised some of the other companies making this sort of product haven't jumped on the Frostgrave bandwagon and produced a mat for it. I would think that they could make a really good playing mat for this game, but I'm not impressed by this one.
I've started to make a Frostgrave board using the Heroic Maps Winter Wilderness tiles (available on Wargames Vault). I've printed them onto sticker paper and stuck them onto a mdf board. If something like this (with a bit more paving showing through the snow) was available as a playing mat I'm sure it would sell very well.

http://www.heroicmaps.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/wintermain.jpg

http://www.heroicmaps.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/forestaltarmain.jpg
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 12:34:59 PM by Polkovnik »

Offline Nooblord

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 12:32:56 PM »
They look better 'in the flesh' so to speak. For example:

Offline Awesomeshotdude

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 01:09:10 PM »
I'm surprised some of the other companies making this sort of product haven't jumped on the Frostgrave bandwagon and produced a mat for it.

I'm currently getting a custom one made by Deep Cut Studios. Essentially it is their cobblestone mat with the manhole covers removed and then 50% - 60% of the surface covered in patchy snow.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 01:19:30 PM »
They look better 'in the flesh' so to speak. For example:

Well, that's a different mat you've linked to, and I still think that a lot of the designs are a bit basic/repeating. Of course, for the tiled dungeon floor it's much less of an issue, but there's a lot on offer in that KS that could do with some improvement I think. Anyway, I'll leave it at that.

Offline armyofmites

• Student
    • frostagram
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 01:21:11 PM »
@Polkovnik
Thanks for the links, i never heard of Heroic Maps before (shame on me) and i just downloaded some stuff from their page. Very helpful!
Wanted: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=82825.0

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 01:40:53 PM »
I also think the snowy cobblestone iamge is rather simple, not to say lazily done. Snow doesn't just get transparent in certain parts; It's obvious that a soft brush was used to paint the snow, but in reality, the pattern would be different. Snow would accumulate in the cracks between the stones, for example.

Offline wrinklestiltskin

• Bookworm
  • sexy beast
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 01:53:30 PM »
I'm currently getting a custom one made by Deep Cut Studios. Essentially it is their cobblestone mat with the manhole covers removed and then 50% - 60% of the surface covered in patchy snow.

Sounds interesting, I'd love to see the finished product. They have the mousemats, right?

Offline Awesomeshotdude

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 02:11:05 PM »
Sounds interesting, I'd love to see the finished product. They have the mousemats, right?

Yes they do have mousepad material mats, however they can't do custom ones (on the mousepad material) for several weeks yet...so I've ordered a PVC one, and when they start taking mousepad material mat custom work, I'll order the same image printed on that.

I'll get some images up when I get them.

Offline Morray

• Bookworm
  • I'm a Snow Troll...Boo!
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 04:43:06 PM »
Nice price but yea, a little repetitive for my tastes. 19 quid posted is pretty amazing though.

Offline baza

• Lurker
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 05:13:35 PM »
Not bad for the price, anyone seen the cigar box battle mats, Cold Magic which would be ideal for Frostgrave albeit a bit pricey.

Offline Awesomeshotdude

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 05:34:35 AM »

I just received my custom mat from Deep Cut Studio's today. It's a PVC material (which I'm not overly fond of) as they don't do custom mousepad material mats yet, but will be soon...and I'll get the same size and artwork done on a mousepad material mat when they do become available.

Essentially, it is their Cobblestone pattern with the man hole covers removed and snow added over the top...4' x 4' in size. I'm pretty happy with it.

Whole Mat;

Close up of Artwork;

With a few bits of terrain plonked down on top;

Offline wrinklestiltskin

• Bookworm
  • sexy beast
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 07:23:22 AM »
That is one nice looking table!

Those ruines, up front, are those the 4ground ones? I like the look of those, maybe a bit too clean, but nice.