Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:28:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Spell Eater? and Illusionary Soldier  (Read 2307 times)

Offline Denizen Kane

• Librarian
  • French Army? What,s that?
Spell Eater? and Illusionary Soldier
« on: October 03, 2015, 06:15:44 AM »
My group and I have been talking about the Spell Eater spell. It reads to me to just be able to remove current spells and has no effect on what I would call "instant" spells like Leap and Bone Dart or Elemental bolt. Is that what you guys think or am I missing something vital here? The Illusionary Soldier is another spell that makes no sense. If he is supposed to be an illusion would that not also make him secret? Otherwise why call him an illusionary? The second someone attacks him and he takes damage he disappears. Yet I assume to make a convincing illusion he must fight back and what then? He causes no damage so ...the jig is up either way. This spell is very hard to play without a referee.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 06:19:49 AM by Denizen Kane »
The world is changing so fast and we,re just trying to catch up...

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
  • Rolling 1s so you don't have to since '95
    • Home of the ARBBL
Re: Spell Eater? and Illusionary Soldier
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 07:01:13 AM »
Have you been declaring to each other which is the illusionary models then!? It doesn't need an umpire. Just make a (secret) note on your play sheet which model is the illusion. And when your opponent engages that model and blows are exchanged you can declare the illusion as appropriate. That seemed pretty straightforward and obvious to me as well.

Joe has said that you have to tell your opponent which one is the Illusionary Soldier (I think it's in the FAQ thread).

That said, it's still a useful spell.  The IllSol can "find" the Fools Gold (as it disappears when touched, not picked up), can lure wandering monsters into the opposing warband, can tie up enemy spellcasters and/or bowmen in combat and can provide the multiple combat bonus.  And of course, the IllSol still fights, and can win combat, so can push opponents back - with good placement can even push off building (which means the fall causes the damage, not the IllSol).

So it's a good spell, you've just got to be creative in using it.
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=80899.0
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 07:03:32 AM by Darkson71 »
Home of the ARBBL
"I survived the 525"

Offline Denizen Kane

• Librarian
  • French Army? What,s that?
Re: Spell Eater? and Illusionary Soldier
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 01:08:59 AM »
Yes I now see the possible uses for it! Joe has actually stated even tho he wrote the spell with the intention that the IllSo be declared it can be more fun to keep him secret until the moment of deception. The paper trick is a good way of identifying him (or her). I played a game last night where I stuck a simple self adhering sticker to the bottom of the base. Actually worked out well. That said one must be crafty so as not to expose "the trick". I found myself having to resist doing obvious things that my opponent would know something was up with that model