Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:21:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Spell Eater spell - Who takes the damage  (Read 2298 times)

Offline Azzabat

• Scientist
Spell Eater spell - Who takes the damage
« on: June 11, 2016, 08:56:03 PM »
Forgive me if this has been answered already. I've searched the forum and web but could not find it anywhere.

When Spell Eater is successfully cast to remove an in play spell, which Spellcaster actually takes the wound?
Is it the Spellcaster who's just cast "Spell Eater"? Or is the the Spellcaster who originally cast the spell that is being dispelled?

From the description ...  it could be read either way. the spell description

"This spell cancels the effects of any 1 spell currently in play, and the Spellcaster immediately takes 1 point of damage. It cannot unsummon a creature, but it can cancel the control of a creature"

Again apologies if this has been answered previously, but my google-fu is not strong.

EDIT: I've also just realised I've posted this in the wrong section. It should have been under the Rules. Would some kind soul move it over for me please?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 10:39:32 PM by Azzabat »
I know the voices aren't real .... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

Offline Like_Clockwork

• Bookworm
  • "The only way to meet your equal, is to become it"
Re: Spell Eater spell - Who takes the damage
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 11:26:21 PM »
I would assume that the caster of the spell that is being eaten takes damage, as it would be redundant for the caster of spell eater to take damage. However, that would mean that Spell Eater is literally just a better version of Dispel. I would run this by the Rules Thread (top of this page), and ask Joe himself. Because, here's the thing, both Dispel and Spell Eater seem to do the exact same thing, and have the same target number, except Spell Eater also does damage. I always played under the assumption that Spell Eater does damage to the target spells initial caster, but I think it would be better, if the caster gets a bonus to his/her next roll on any spell next turn, because they successfully ate the spell, consuming its energy, but I also think Spell Eater should either have a higher target number, or a change in range. Either way, I say run it by Joe, if you don't want to I can and then report to this thread what he says.

Thank you,
Like Clockwork
I do hope you enjoyed reading whatever it is I have typed, I likely put some thought into it, and appreciate when others look into my brain and go, "Huh, okay"

Offline Azzabat

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 11:52:44 PM »
Thanks for that. Yes please if you don't mind running it passed him.

For some reason I can't post new threads in the Rules section. All I can do is reply to existing ones.

As you say it just makes it a better version of dispel.

Offline punkrabbitt

• Scientist
  • Let's do this!
    • Punkrabbitt Publishing
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 01:03:51 AM »
Thanks for that. Yes please if you don't mind running it passed him.

For some reason I can't post new threads in the Rules section. All I can do is reply to existing ones.

As you say it just makes it a better version of dispel.

I went ahead and posted that to the Rules topic for you.
Hi! I'm Harry. I am a hobby addict; I game sci-fi, fantasy, and historical (including Ancients, Dark Ages, Renaissance, and World War II Manchukuo.)

Please visit my OSR products for sale at www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/17194/Punkrabbitt-Publishing

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 02:10:03 AM »
Spelleater is exactly the same as dispel except the school and that the caster of spelleater takes 1 damage when successful. I asked the same question ages ago and Joe  gave me that.

Offline Azzabat

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 03:11:01 AM »
Thank you very much. That's how I thought it worked, that you basically take 1 damage if you cast Spell Eater.

We have however been playing it that the Spellcaster of the spell being eaten takes the wound. It makes a big difference.

Offline November

• Scientist
    • November in Frostheim
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 09:21:51 AM »
[Mispost, delete please.]

Offline ChaosChild

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 06:29:45 PM »
For what it's worth, this is all answered in the FAQ (the downloadable one, not the rules thread).