Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:03:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ventures in the Age of Sail (1/2400)  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
Ventures in the Age of Sail (1/2400)
« on: October 05, 2015, 01:50:53 PM »
Okay, this came right out of the very deep blue: Recent excavations at Lead Mountain met a vein of 1/2400 scale sailing vessels purchased in a mental timeout, quite possibly after watching "Master & Commander" for the umpteenth time (best historical movie ever, period). And just in time for their reappearance a fellow LAFer's review of "Galleys & Galleons" had reignited my interested in naval warfare and the Age of Sail in particular. So I decided to finally give these models a try.

To be clear, these are deliberately simple paintjobs, the waves (made of filler) are exaggerated, and no rigging's involved. After all, the models are (veeery) tiny and, like all my wargaming stuff, has to be fit for travels and the occasional move. Time spent on the tabletop, in turn, will be limited, as this is clearly a personal side quest, which also doesn't generate much interest among fellow gamers.

Since the ships look generic enough from a distance, they may serve any seafaring western country from 1700 through to the Napoleonic era. Therefore I've played with the idea of exchangeable labels, which can be 'clipped' to the ships' magnetic bases. Not quite there yet, but printouts glued onto metal foil might well be the way to go for me.

Sticking with "frigate warfare" for now, I'm painting a few more small vessels and even boats. Bits of scenery might follow as well – if I don't get distracted too soon again. ;)

A few more pics and pieces on my blog. Thanks for visiting and all that! :)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: Ventures in the Age of Sail (1/2400)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 02:10:56 PM »
Very unsual for you but totally awesome stuff, Doc, I so much love it  :-*

Now I have to pick up the next Patrick O'Brian book and get inspired for some Seafaring adventure :)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 02:41:28 PM »
Saw these on Twitter and loved the blue of the sea  :-* :-*

Even I they are simple paint jobs they work wonderfully  8)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 03:32:28 PM »
Very unsual for you but totally awesome stuff, Doc, I so much love it  :-*
Now I have to pick up the next Patrick O'Brian book and get inspired for some Seafaring adventure :)

Well, you should know by now that I'm a wargaming butterfly. Don't think I could stand 'usual' things for too long. lol
You could always play some landing operations. Done that years ago, mixed in some Sharpe adventures – AARs are somewhere down in the LAF dungeons.

Saw these on Twitter and loved the blue of the sea  :-* :-*

Thanks for the Fav, James! :) Admittedly, I chose a Pollock-style approach to basing. Messy, great fun, and the somewhat expressionistic/impressionistic results are good enough for my purpose.