Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:05:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Grumbling Grognard's Pics  (Read 12677 times)

Offline Grumbling Grognard

• Scientist
Grumbling Grognard's Pics
« on: October 07, 2015, 04:27:45 AM »
I have decided to make a thread for my Strange Aeons fig pics.  My "style" is (reasonably) fast painting with the cheapest materials possible.  It is a tried and true "style" I have honed over my last 40+ years of miniature's gaming.  I generally use a "dip" over a few base colors and some dry brushing before I call them "good enough to game with".

When I saw the artifacts, plot devices, etc in this game I had to start work.  And my first pic will be of the (not so) good Doctor Alexander Jackel being rudely interupted just as he is about to test his latest creation (is a "just" a resonator or is it a doomsday device...well the Doc is not too sure that is why we test things, right?!?)

Appologies, I finally figured out the gallery function here and have posted my pics there and will continue to do so.  You can see them here:

Link To Grumbling Grognard's Gallery

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 08:28:58 PM by Grumbling Grognard »
Scott Clinton
(aka The Grumbling Grognard)

Offline forcedperfect

• Bookworm
Re: Grumbling Grognard's Pics
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 05:30:11 AM »
Cool machine! I Love the artifacts concepts also.

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 01:54:31 AM »
I have posted a dozen or so more pictures of my quickly growing horde of Strange Aeons figures.  I am afraid I have quite fallen in love with this game...  :-*

GG's Gallery

Scott

Offline necrocannibal

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu for President!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 09:44:54 AM »
Very nice and imaginative stuff you have there!
The Cult of the Black Goat Cultist No. 11

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 10:07:39 AM »
Great stuff GG.  You have quite an eclectic collection of models.  Your lab is pretty neat.  I'm going to have to do some more reading on the forums so I can figure out how to start a gallery like you did.  Do people get mad about about posting pics in the forums rather than in a gallery? 

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 03:35:37 PM »
Great stuff GG.  You have quite an eclectic collection of models.  Your lab is pretty neat.  I'm going to have to do some more reading on the forums so I can figure out how to start a gallery like you did.  Do people get mad about about posting pics in the forums rather than in a gallery? 

Since when do we care if anyone on the internet is mad at us?!?  Hell, that would take 1/2 the fun out of the net! ;D  lol

I have no idea.  I just got here a month or so ago....  I just work from home 5 days aweek (in a damned easy job!) and post like an insane man when I have a new game I love (and this is one for sure!).

To start a gallery, just go to the link at the top (between "My Messages" and "Chess"), then click on "My Gallery" link (about 1/3 way down, on the right), then click on (I think...if I remember right...) "Add Category".  From there you just name you new gallery, give it an icon you like and load pics.  

I cheat.  I use both a gallery and a forum (to publish when I load a new pic).

Scott

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 03:56:22 PM »
Just seen your gallery...what a fabulous assortment of characters, beasties and places! Great stuff!

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 08:25:13 PM »
Thanks for the positive feedback!  Face it, that is why we post our stuff, right?   ::)

I do not get to game as much as I would like (who does?), so it helps to keep me modivated.  Considering I have barely painted a dozen 25-28mm figs in the last decade prior to  Strange Aeons I think this game has done that quite well.

Thanks again
Scott

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 11:59:32 PM »
Thanks for the tutorial GG.  I wasn't sure if there was, "pic etiquette" but I haven't been here long either so I thought I'd better ask.  I'm warded by cats in silly outfits so I'm not afraid of "internet mad"  :). I have a blog but I neglect it.  When I'm using my hobby time to make stuff I don't like cutting into it with photos and blogging but I enjoy having access to both the forums and a blog. 

The blog allows me to ramble more (long winded), tighten up my shoddy production values a little, and post higher resolution photos of stuff I'm working at.  It also give me a concise archive of my projects (if I get around to documenting them :) )  With the forum as nice immediate feedback and smaller photos I can present what I'm up to and if people are interested they can check the blog for elaboration.  For me the gallery would be a bit of a vestigial limb.

Offline Reviler

• Student
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 05:45:10 PM »
Your collection is outstanding. If I may ask, what is your technique for rebasing the d&d plastic minis? I usually end up butchering them in my attempts.

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 06:20:50 PM »
Thank you very much.

oh...boy will this "answer" be a bit of insight on how I do minis...   ;)

It depends.  Really, on alot.  Not the least of which is what I have on my painting table at the time in regards to glue (I hate running to the store for crap like that), and my whim...

For all "clix" figures the base has to go.  No doubt.  So, I use a new, very sharp Xacto and slice them free at the soles of their feet being very careful not to to hack off part of the foot (which I too have done a few times).  If this happens, I can generally fix it with some creative flocking on the base or something of the sort...   ;)  But, to be honest, it has been months since I did that, and it was simply because I was in a rush.  I then use GW bases I have added mags to or GaleForce9 mags (my new favorite).

For the Patherfinder and D&D stuff I have been keeping many bases and just gluing mags to the bottom.

Since I mag the bottom of all of my figures, I then generally glue my magnets to the bottom of the figure.  Then I will then wash the figures with soapy water (rince very, very well, soap and paint do not mix well).  Then I "prime" using a clear, plastic varnish.  This allows me to use the paint from the manufacturer as a "rough outline" and they almost always work fine for that (and I am just not that great a painter anyway!)....but I digress you asked about basing.   :D

The glue is the hardest part for these "bendy" plastic bases.  But, I have found that my favorite glue on the planet, good, old white "Elmer's Glue" works almost every time.  A good heavy coat on the base.  Sometimes another light brush over the top if I think it is needed (but to be honest, almost never).  Then, they get a varnish coat.  I don't flock, etc until after I am done with all painting, so it never has any time to lose *any* flock/sand.

Super glue works even better.  The problems with super glue are: Cost, Toxic Odor, difficulty handling as opposed to white clue and the fact super glue will cause a color shift in sand, or flock (to the darker, much darker).  All are not show-stoppers, but should be kept in mind.  I do like super glue for when I am in a big hurry (of course) and for a base for which I am not entirely trusting my white glue (generally the former, I really do love white glue).

For materials I use whatever cheap flock is at the hobby store when I run out, and a bag of "play sand" from Walmart and a bit of cat litter and plastic plants every now and again.  Pour glue on base, then stick it into the baggie of flock/sand/whatever....repeat with 2 or 3 baggies...move to the next one.

Last warning: Seriously, if you try super glue, be careful when you use enough for an entire large monster base or they will find you on the floor under your table some night.   :(

Hope this helps,
Scott
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 03:07:12 AM by Grumbling Grognard »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 06:58:44 PM »
I like your stuff very much!

Your approach adds to the SA world in a way that many of us wouldn't have thought of.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 07:59:03 PM »
I like your stuff very much!

Your approach adds to the SA world in a way that many of us wouldn't have thought of.

Lol why thank you very much.   :D

But, just wait.  When you get to be "old men", jaded, cheap and lazy....you will then completely understand.  Keeping in mind "old" is in the mind (I am "only" 51)  ;)

Scott

Offline Reviler

• Student
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2015, 02:57:17 AM »
Thanks for letting us into your methodology for basing! You do a great job with your miniatures and basing. You have given me a lot of food for thought as I approach basing miniatures. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2015, 06:19:45 PM »
Added a few pics as well as some (quick, easy) rules for climbing in Strange Aeons to my gallery and sub-galleries.

Scott