Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 03:13:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696617
  • Total Topics: 118776
  • Online Today: 443
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: obsidian3d's Infinity thread  (Read 2495 times)

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
obsidian3d's Infinity thread
« on: October 08, 2015, 07:37:50 PM »
I recently picked up an Operation Icestorm box and am looking forward to getting some models built. I noticed that most of the Infinity talk online is in Corvus Belli's official forums. I did join up over there to see what it was all about, but quite frankly I consider this to be my home for the vast majority all of my miniature gaming.

I don't have any hobby stuff to show off yet having just picked up the box a few days ago. I'm hoping to have at least one faction built before end of the month and have a tentative day set up with some local folks to start learning the game.

Now that I've finally taken the plunge I've looked through the CB store and find myself drawn to the biker models for Haqqislam and the dog soldiers in Ariadna. I'll be doing my best to focus on the two factions in the starter box, but feel free to weigh in with your thoughts on the game, the models, the factions and the like. I'd be happy to see any kinds of recommendations or helpful info for the game or getting started.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Napalm Backflip

• Assistant
Re: obsidian3d's Infinity thread
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 10:19:40 PM »
I've debated getting back into this for a while but I have a few too many hobby projects right now. I loved the game, and the models. Honestly, the requirement for large amounts of terrain was my only issue. I simply don't have enough of it available.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 10:54:07 PM »
I've got plenty of terrain, at least enough to fill a 4x4 table to a sufficient density, so that isn't a problem for me. I do have a huge number of hobby projects though...like everyone else on this board I imagine. :)

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 11:16:17 PM »
I did lots of demos with their Quickstart Rules (2nd Edition, I think) but then stopped when everyone here dropped the game. Ended up selling my Pan Oceania starter set. I really liked the rules but the prices of the minis and their scale-creep between editions killed it.

Since you mention terrain, I must say that AT-43 containers and walls are ideal for Infinity  ;)

Don't know if you already found it, but this other forum - http://www.data-sphere.net/ - is also very good.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 12:06:46 AM »
I love Infinity, but I accept that it can get expensive if you go full-hog.

Although the quick rules in OI are okay to teach you the simple game mechanics, I would download the full rules PDF from Corvus Belli's website and use that ASAP. There's a lot of rules and skills to learn, and quite frankly the sooner you get used to them, the better! The quick rules cut too much from the game to really give you proper feel for the game's tricks, lethality, or tactical depth IMO.

Terrain doesn't have to be urban either. The main thing to realise is that you need different types or terrian as well as different heights and denisities of terrain across the board. If you don't have boards with variation on them, a lot of skills, weapons, and troops miss out on being useful, and even-sided boards rob any meaningful decision in the choice to pick table edges/deployment/first turn.

I would also probably not go with the recommended expansions to the OI forces in the back of the quick rules. Instead, I would probably add a couple of blisters of troops instead, or even a second Faction starter box (eg: Bakunin starter for Nomads and Neoterrans for PanO). This gives you a lot more variety a lot quicker, and you can decide better how you want to build your forces from there.

There is also an Ariadnan starter set themed around US troops. This is like OI, but has models all of one faction (Ariadna), and includes more of the card stater set buildings too. If you like Infinity, and you fancy Ariadna, and you want a few extra buildings, this might be worth considering.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!  8)

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 01:57:20 AM »
I have seriously tempted by that US Ariadne box set, but like many I have too many projects on the go.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 05:26:48 AM »
I watched most of the icestorm and uSAriadna stuff on Beasts of War. I really like the USA box, but I don't want to spend any more cash until I give the Icestorm stuff a spin. Thanks for all the replies so far! I'll keep everyone updated as I progress.

Offline julesav

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 03:15:03 PM »
Be careful folks! I played the 'Operation Icestorm' version with my son and now I'm finding I'm addicted to the full version. I have to say that Infinity is probably my favourite game system and I've been gaming since the 1970s!
"Some scientists say that humans exhibit a behavior called neophilia, which is a preference for new objects. It’s why we like shiny new things."

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 06:40:28 PM »
Haha oh the horror! :D

Offline randycarter

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 09:55:13 PM »
I love Infinity too, it's a great game. The big issue, IMO, si that you need some costancy in playing: you will need some game to even try all the game mechanics, not to speak about  the special rules.
But definitely it worths all that work!

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 01:49:33 AM »
I spent a few hours putting together the nomads from Icestorm. The bodies are nearly flash-free, but the other pieces were hellish. Tons of huge chunks of metal on tiny arms and backpacks. It took me about 20 or 25 minutes per figure to build them all. That's longer than I expected, and is largely due to some of the three-point  joins being a little tricky to line up. I'll need to do a bit of green stuff to get everything clean but overall they were pretty decent looking once glued together.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 06:04:35 AM »
I can echo everything the Major has said about Infinity. I took the plunge to play Infinity at the start of this year, after having looked at it for many years. Starter boxes are always worthy ways to expand and often getting the main faction starter and one of the sectorial starters is a good place to start as they give several line troops, a heavy hitter and a couple of fun units.
Regarding terrain, you definitely don't need to go urban, and in fact fun games can be had with very varied terrain. The main thing is to make sure it's possible to move a bit without incurring a lot of AROs.