Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:35:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Power armor for 20mm-1/72 Star Wars force-Pics Added  (Read 5103 times)

Offline Hrothgar

• Scientist
  • "We grow old because we stop playing" - GBS
    • Cheshirekat's Hobby Corner
Power armor for 20mm-1/72 Star Wars force-Pics Added
« on: October 12, 2015, 09:12:40 PM »
Hi everyone;
    I am already kicking myself for going down this road...Contrary to all my vows to never be untrue to the One True Scale (28mm, btw), I have begun assembling a 20mm-ish sci fi collection based around my Star Wars Micro Machines collection. I would classify the figures as small 20mm but when based they do pretty well alongside my 1/72 plastics. I really want to augument the collection with some figures in light power armor to act as Clone Commandos, Dark Troopers, etc. Anything in the realm of Starcraft Marine power armor would work as well. Would really like some figures that are about the same height and asethetic but bulkier and armored. I tried bulking some up with putty, but they just looked silly-as they started out too slender.

I have some GZG 25mm Power Armor suits, but they are too big to fit the role I need to fill.

I am aware of the MJ Figures' Emperor's Elite, which are okay, but remind me a bit too much of 40K Space Marines.

I procured some HALO master chiefs from the McFarlane toy series. Okay, but still pretty slender, and they are too rare/expensive to slice and dice the way I hope to.

Any other ideas? Large 15mm's? Board game pieces?  Your feedback would be quite welcome!
For reference, I am trying to scale the PA to the stormtroopers in this pic (not mine, found with a GIS):
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 05:00:02 AM by Hrothgar »

Offline S_P

• Mad Scientist
Re: Power armor for 20mm-1/72 Star Wars force
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 12:57:19 AM »
There are these in plastic- never had any myself mind:

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/ShowFeature.aspx?id=54

Also in metal there is the RH models range

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 02:20:40 AM »
How easy is it to get those MicroMachines figures in bulk? I always figured that was the prohibitive factor to gaming Star Wars with those.

Offline Hrothgar

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 03:02:38 AM »
@S_P Those plastic troopers are nice figures,  and I did pick some up. Unfortunately,  they are mostly unarmored and can't pass for power armored to picky bastards like me.  :-D. I will look in RH models, though.  Thanks!

@Hupp n at em - They are not currently,  unfortunately,  too  easy to find, but it is possible.  I have been picking them up cheap where I can find them for over a decade.  You can occasionally find big lots of them cheaply on eBay, Board Game Geek marketplace,  and even the marketplace here.  Besides,  you can supplement them with Risk Clone Wars pieces pretty cheaply,  and there are rumors that figure packs may again become available through The Force Awakens Micro Machines line.  There is still hope!  :-)

Offline johnl5555

• Librarian
    • Wargamer Printing
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 03:10:44 AM »
Risk Star Wars games have Clones, Super battledroids, Gamorrean Guards and some other figs that are Micro machine scale. Starguard figs are 1/72 scale, I believe. There are also a few plastic sets. Check Plastic Soldier Review.

Micro Machine figs are not easy to find in bulk. I'm lucky I have large Imperial and Clone Era armies for the period including lots of vehicles. But I have been buying stuff since the late 90's. I love the scale. Looks awesome on the tabletop. My Clone Wars games usually have a couple 100 infantry and 20-30 vehicles and several.heroes/villains. I had converted or scratchbuilt a Yoda, General Kenobi in clone armor, Grevious, Dooku, Anakin and a couple others like Rex, etc.

I have some old Gear Kreig (I believe) 20mm infantry that I use. The Buck Rogers board game had some 20mm/1/72 scale infantry that could possibly work. The game pieces are sold by Science Surplus pretty cheaply.

Thanks,

John

« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 03:13:08 AM by johnl5555 »
Owner JS Wargamer Printing. 3D printing miniatures, buildings and terrain.
https://wargamerprinting.com/

Offline BlackWidowPilot

• Scientist
  • "Mwahahahahaahaaaaaa!!!"
    • "It's Them! Blast 'Em!"
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 09:27:15 AM »
Here's an entire line of 1/72 scale sci-fi figures including several flavors of powered armor for you to choose from:

http://www.tin-soldier.com/sgdp.html

Note that the entire Starguard! line is on sale until the 18th:

http://www.tin-soldier.com

Some of the powered armor troops from Starguard!:

Hope this helps!
Leland R. Erickson
Metal Express
www.silent-death.mx

\\\\\\\"Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!\\\\\\\" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 01:26:06 PM »
what about the 25mm WEG zero G stormtroopers, would they work for you as PA suits?

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 01:48:50 PM »
Damn you all! I was SO sure that the SW Risks were too small for the MM's that I considered putting my never-used, fair-sized collection up for sale. Now I'll have to give my Risk boxes another look...

Weird thing to me was there were sets of the Rebel and Imperial pilots. 'What use is that in a groppo game?' Then the WotC collectible game included pilots for play. I still shake my head; I only want to play so many hanger fire-fights.

Still, to a person that's painting adverse, any pre-paints look lovely.  :D

By the way, are there any appropriate figs to go with Lord of the Rings Risk pieces?

Doug

Offline Hrothgar

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 09:36:15 PM »
@TheBeast- The Clone Wars minis are definitely a good match. The Original Trilogy Risk's figures are, I believe, much smaller. Your mileage may vary, but I could see mixing the Gammoreans with MM, but not much else.

Can't get enough of the CW Risk clone troopers, though. I picked up hundreds of them cheaply on ebay and have converted them into Stormtroopers, ARC Troopers, Senate Guards (in blue armor), Mandalorians, Rebel Assault Troopers, Traveller Imperial Marines, HALO-type armored troops, 40K IG Stormtroopers. I even tried modding them into 40K Space Marines and Clone Wars Commandos, but they were just too slender. They fit perfectly with MM figures, though.

I will try to get some pics posted when I get home, so you can judge for yourself.

@Aliensurfer-The old WEG are an okay fit, but they are pretty large in comparision to the MM stuff. I have four of 'em and a bunch of GZG 25mm PA. They are great as small walkers or MAK-style PA for 20mm. I am just hoping to find some PA that is in between those and regular 20mm humans.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 09:40:57 PM by Hrothgar »

Offline Hrothgar

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 04:54:49 AM »
Okay, below are some pictures of Star Wars Micro Machines figures mixed with Clone Troopers from the Clone Wars Risk game, painted and modded in a variety of ways:

More pics here:
http://saxondogwarband.blogspot.com/2015/10/star-wars-clone-wars-micro-machines.html?m=1
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 04:58:38 AM by Hrothgar »

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 01:47:44 AM »
Can't get enough of the CW Risk clone troopers, though. I picked up hundreds of them cheaply on ebay ...

Not as cheap as the two sets I found at local charity shops...  :D

However, from what I'm seeing in your work, I'm not sure I can wait for them to 'bubble up' at such prices. Well done!

Doug