Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:29:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689603
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Belgian Colonial  (Read 2459 times)

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
Belgian Colonial
« on: October 13, 2015, 09:54:29 AM »
While reserching for my recent  project i found those few colour plates on Belgian Force Publique in Congo and their ennemies...they where drawn by famous Belgian artiste africaniste James Thiriar..and republished many years ago by the Museum of Thervuren in Bruxelles.

http://abergo1.e-monsite.com/album/eic-histoire/

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Belgian Colonial
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 10:43:19 AM »
Thanks! Love that picture of the Tetela mutineer with the flag. I have an unpainted mixed force of mutineers and tribesmen that was going to be my next project, and a guy carrying that flag was one of them.

Sadly they are all just gathering dust now. Don't expect they'll ever get done. Fairly sure my painting days are behind me now.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 11:05:26 PM »
Great plates,my friend bought me a set from the Museum years ago,thanx for sharing.

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 05:26:50 PM »
i'm happy that you also appreciated those plates  and the period...
the Museum of Thervuren in Bruxelles has, in his library, many other platetes depicting scenes, above all military, from the same illustrator...and something else could be find in Musée de l'Armée and another Museum..in think in another city..which is devoted to the Belgian African Congo...in this period , in Thervuren, there is also an exhibition on Congolose troops participation in WW1 (German East Africa and Kamerun)..i suppose it should be worth a look..probably above all for artefacts and picts..including unpublished uniform plates cards from the same James Thiriar ...the only danger could only be, as i easily imagine, the pletoria of "politically correct captions which, in those days, cannot be avoided to show to the masses anything colonial and military...

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 05:29:37 PM »
Thanks! Love that picture of the Tetela mutineer with the flag. I have an unpainted mixed force of mutineers and tribesmen that was going to be my next project, and a guy carrying that flag was one of them.

Sadly they are all just gathering dust now. Don't expect they'll ever get done. Fairly sure my painting days are behind me now.

I hope everything is ok, thought hadn't seen you on the forum for a good while

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 11:03:17 AM »
I'm fine mate, and I'm around most days, keeping my beady eye on things. Just don't post much. Lost my passion for painting so I don't really have an awful lot to contribute these days.  :)

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 10:26:44 PM »
Thank you for posting.  Makes me want to get my old Foundry African castings out and have a go with the paint brush (probably have to wait till retirement though).  The photos were also interesting, particularly that of the "King of Boma" and his entourage.