Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:22:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690807
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bolt Action or Muzzle Loading?  (Read 7493 times)

Offline Sturmpioneer

• Librarian
    • http://www.kingsfordminiatures.org
Bolt Action or Muzzle Loading?
« on: November 16, 2008, 04:01:22 AM »
Last year I bought some Germans firing bolt action rifles but I was torn because I also wanted the ACW muzzle loading rifles.  Did I make the right choice?  The VSF covers such a large timeframe...
Makers of 28mm Samurai!
www.kingsfordminiatures.org

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Re: Bolt Action or Muzzle Loading?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 11:05:57 AM »
Last year I bought some Germans firing bolt action rifles but I was torn because I also wanted the ACW muzzle loading rifles.  Did I make the right choice?  The VSF covers such a large timeframe...

If you intend to use Germans, or more correctly Prussians, Vs ACW era troops, you can have breech-loaders as the Dreyse Needle Gun was in use from 1841, according to Wikipedia [yes, I know, always treat Wiki information with a little suspicion!]:

"The Dreyse needle-gun (German Zündnadelgewehr, which translates roughly as "needle ignition rifle") was a military breechloading rifle, famous as the main infantry weapon of the Prussians, who adopted it for service in 1841 as the Dreyse Zündnadelgewehr, or Prussian Model 1841. Its name comes from its 0.5-inch (13 mm) needle-like firing pin, which passed through the paper cartridge case to impact a percussion cap at the bullet base. The Dreyse rifle was also the first breech-loading rifle to use the bolt action to open and close the chamber, executed by turning and pulling a bolt handle.

The gun was the invention of the gunsmith Johann Nikolaus von Dreyse (1787–1867), who, beginning in 1824, had conducted multiple experiments, and in 1836 produced the complete needle-gun. Dreyse was ennobled in 1864."

So, if you are using Prussians, you have a very wide time-span where bolt-action rifles are used. Later rifles looked more "modern" than the Dreyse, but anyone bringing this up is really being very "picky". I would personally be happy to use 1864 Prussians for the whole of the later 19thC, as I know Malamute does.

Of course, I could be wrong & Wiki has lied to me lol

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 11:33:06 AM »
also dont forget, by the end of the ACW, union forces were useing all kinds of rifles with differing loading mechanisons, from breach loading all the way up precusion caped, revolver type rifles and even a few pump action rifles!
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 06:33:33 PM »
It's VSF use whatever you like.  My VSF units span about 60 years, from 1850 to around 1914 so the weaponry is quite varied.  I've just bought some Crusader 7 years war Austrian Grenze as a bodyguard unit for my 1860s Colonial Russians.

I'm prepared to use any period figures pre WW1, a 'long arm' can be either a rifle or a musket - it doesn't matter much to me.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 08:30:14 AM »
Yep, as the guys have said, anything goes. Have fun, sounds like an interesting project, photos required please. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Sturmpioneer

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 05:36:49 AM »
Well it's been over 120 days since I posted this msg but here come some photos:

The Kraft Repair and Produktion tractor (official designation to throw off snoopy inspectors of weapons of minor destruction capabilities) otherwise known as the Lil' Red Wagon is inspected by its depressed crew.  It never started the entire game!

A fantastic close up photo of the Blue Squad close assaulting a downed Martian Sail Barge.

The veritable Tarantula, a device designed to hold a crew of two that can straddle almost any obstacle!

After getting bloodied in the Black Forest on Earth the Prussians have used the recently discovered Ring o' Stars to transport large quantities of men and materiel to mars.  No sooner had they landed but they spotted their arch-enemies the White Martians.  Quickly forming up, the Prussians immediately began to lament the fact their technology lagged that of the White Martians.  However, Major Pita stepped forward and led the men valiantly forward.  Unfortunately, it was also to his doom!  Though the Prussians took some losses the Blue and White units marched forward and pressed the Martians badly.  For example, not one of the Martian vehicles escaped unscathed if indeed it escaped at all!

Better pics and write up will be provided next time!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 05:39:45 AM by Sturmpioneer »

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 09:25:34 AM »
Painting those late WW1 Germans in blue uniforms is a very good idea. I would have thought they would look too "modern" for VSF, but they seem to fit in well  :)

Another idea to steal  ;)

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 07:17:56 AM »
Excellent! Looking very, very good indeed old man! I look forward to seeing some of this at the club this month.

Thomas
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Mad Carew Snr

• Scientist
  • One in the Eye for the little yellow god
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 08:29:23 AM »
Great looking models
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone
The song is over
Thought I'd something more to say

Online fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 05:14:49 PM »
What is the white piece in the background behind the white Prussians - a vehicle or a building ?

Looks interesting.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Sturmpioneer

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 02:31:00 AM »
It's a scratch built piece of terrain.  Rob is a veritable terrain making machine!  I have a couple of pics of a samurai hill fort on my website that he built.  So many people want to see more of it that I am building a new gallery page devoted to it.

http://www.kingsfordminiatures.org/Gallery.html

I'll try and take pics of his stuff next time we play.  I'm sure you'll be amazed at what he can do with some twine, a rubber band and a toothpick!

Offline Sturmpioneer

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 02:58:22 AM »
Well, my VSF project has moved along with many others.  A few others have embraced GASLIGHT and are wanting to do'Nefs as well!  These photos are from last night.  It looks more like Venus than Mars but I'll defend it by saying it's still under development.  Whatever rules I couldn't remember I just made up!  Martians taking care of their temple while the Prussians and Dr. Todt are looking for some artifact within it.  The Rebs and the Union forces don't trust each other or the Martians or the Prussians and are willing to disrupt everyone's plans.

Highlights of the evening were the Krootox damaging the Prussian Wagon to the point it fired into Dr. Todt's unit and killing him!  The Reb Walker called the Tarantula managed to start up but never hit anything!  A nasty melee developed between the Kroot and the Union Cavalry and then we ran out of time.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 03:00:36 AM by Sturmpioneer »

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
    • Bloggity-Blog-Blog / "The Zone"
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 04:00:14 AM »
I have to say I really like those buildings. What are they?

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
Sweet
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 04:05:05 AM »
Lovely lovely looking game! Some beautiful minis and the scenery is fantastic.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 09:35:58 AM »
Just noticed this thread  ::)

I love the KRaP-wagen  :-*

I assume it might be a conversion based on an early WW2 German halftrack? If so it's surprisingly effective as a VSF vehicle.

The red colour scheme is a very good touch - like a proto-Red Baron  lol

Again the buildings are very nice. Are they from a kit like Hirst Arts or similar?