Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:38:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690722
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Wizard Colors  (Read 2015 times)

Offline Epix

• Schoolboy
Wizard Colors
« on: October 23, 2015, 03:23:31 PM »
I am planning to paint a Wizard and an Apprentice for each wizard class so right now I am wondering which color scheme I am going to use.

Here is my actual thinking:

Wizard

Illusionist
Thaumaturge
Sigilist
Witch
Necromancer
Elementalist
Summoner
Enchanter
Soothsayer
Chronomancer
Primary Color

Purple
White
Yellow
Gray
Black
Red
Orange
Brown
Turquoise
Blue
Secondary Color

Blue
Yellow
Brown
Brown
White
Yellow
Black
Red
Purple
Green

What do you think?

Offline frogimus

• Librarian
  • Enthusiastically Apathetic
Re: Wizard Colors
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 04:19:03 PM »
Those colors seem good. It all depends on your style, the style of the model, and how you paint.  Say, for example a gray/brown druid as a witch would work better than a Halloween type witch in gray/brown.
"Never rub another man's rhubarb!"- The Joker(Jack Nicholson)

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 04:30:08 PM »
Elementalists could also go: Blue/Green (water), Grey/Brown (earth) or White/Blue (air).
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 05:27:14 PM »
I think it depends entirely on the models you use, and on the colours like/enjoy painting.

If you like those colours and feel they'll suit your models, then go for it! :)

Offline Epix

• Schoolboy
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 05:48:32 PM »
Thank you for the advises.
I would like to avoid having two wizards with the same color so it is easier for my opponent to know what kind of wizard I am playing.
I am just trying to plan ahead the color scheme just to avoid painting a wizard in one color only to realize just after that this color would fit better with another wizard.

I am not sure for Sigilist and Chronomancer colors at the moment, any idea?

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 06:06:33 PM »
I suspect that maybe you're trying too hard to solve a problem that doesn't really exist by trying to "fit" each one to a set primary/secondary colour.

The wizard model would make it reasonably obvious (hopefully) what school of magic they belong to?

I mean, I can't say that purple suits an Illusionist better than any other school for example, since it depends on the model, the ratio of colours, etc.

So whilst I think making each one a bold main colour is a great idea, I wouldn't get too stuck on it if it means you have compromise on a colour scheme you like.

Another idea might be to pick one colour for each wizard, and then add to it the colours from aligned schools for accents? Again, not something you *have* to follow, but it might throw up some interesting colour combinations to work with?

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 06:18:44 PM »
I think it is less about the colour of the wizard than it is about the look and equipment of the figure.
An emaciated looking wizard carrying a skull, with bones hanging off his belt is going to work as a Necromancer whether you paint him in red, purple or black or any other colour.

Offline Epix

• Schoolboy
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 07:20:31 PM »
I am a painter more than a player so yes indeed I may be overthinking about it but it is part of the fun!

Another idea might be to pick one colour for each wizard, and then add to it the colours from aligned schools for accents?
I love this idea! I will go that way. So now I just have to pick one color for each school and then the secondary colors will be obvious and thematic!

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 12:51:48 AM »
I've been tackling this by placing the models I've been painting in orders or organizations that are representative of the particular class of wizard but are not "canon" for the entirety of the world's arcane populace.

For example my Sigilist (Northstar fig) is a "Chanter", one of the cloistered sisters of the Kjelll Islands Kingdom.  There are other Sigilists out there undoubtedly but this one is mine :) .

I'm in the process of painting my Summoner and again painted him in a similar scheme to the Northstar studio model but more because I liked the vibe and the story it told about him; Not so much the form of magic he practices.