Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:02:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689806
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Innsmouth Historical Society Presents: (Update 07 July; MiGo in the Woods!)  (Read 33369 times)

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
Re: Mr West's Pictures (Updated 30 Oct)
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2015, 03:07:20 PM »
You are on fire wally.  Between you and cutp I'd pack up my toys but I can't because they are unpainted :) . Seriously, great looking collection and I'm astonished how quickly they are coming together.  Well done.

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2015, 04:37:33 PM »
My philosophy is paint and them in one go to play and then play as much as I can. Setting up the "painting studio" takes a solid day- I also cheated, I had them based and sanded before I started.

It could be a while before I sit down and paint again.

Edit In- it's important to have a uniform presentation - I will be posting some long term campaign play, I intend to focus on "my basics" - Presentation, Mechanics and Story or PMS.

Strange Aeons solid "Space Hulk" core combined with some of the greatest open intellectual property on the market and Mikes freakish dedication to creating a great product has given me an opertunity to explore this fascinating world. Now I have to spin the narrative and give this the spit and shine it deserves!

I've also been very lucky to use a friends vintage CoC set to play many games of this thus far. Call-out to Joyce of Plymouth Mass for letting me use your painted minis to get me into this game. Also to Mitch of 495/The Whiz for pointing me in the direction of this game years ago. And 023 and Games Poet for letting me steal the basing color and inspiring me to stick with miniature gaming despite 5+ years of harsh deployments.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 05:11:50 PM by WallyTWest »

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2015, 11:20:55 PM »

Well.. That's oddly frustrating... At $3 each I am kinda disappointed. These guys do not look like 8 point lurkers. Heck- they are massive. Those claws are must be more than 1D damage...

And 3 of them is just too much- each one feels like a land-raider on the tabletop! They look too imposing- and don't have enough of a Statline to back it up.

Offline Litebrite

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2015, 04:56:26 PM »
Ythians are big though if you go by the CoC RPG rules.

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2015, 05:49:46 PM »
@Horrid Person
Yea- had to get everything done for some gaming on the 31st! ;)

@Litebrite
I just measured them- they are "In Scale" for 25mm. I'm actually twiddling my thumbs. Yes Strange Aeons is a "Home Game" but just making up stats is a little rough. Downright unfair in the light "club" atmosphere. I got to figure out the best way to use these critters.

After re-reading the source material I realized they had not invented time travel, just the ability to push their minds forwards through time and space... (They would make for a fantastic episode of doctor who)

But I needed an alien race to complete the collection- perhaps to even act as a primary villain in a future campaign. The Statline is less than inspiring and the model has more potential...

I don't know; this is kinda a modeling conundrum... I need some inspiration.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 05:57:01 PM by WallyTWest »

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2015, 06:36:09 PM »
Do you have any mi-go Wally?  As you said the yith (formerly great) are a doomed race and act locally (temporally) through possession.  The mi-go are a race of ETs who like putting human brains in jars and conducting nasty experiments.  If you are envisioning a campaign villain race this might work better for a running story.

Your Yith might work if you had a terrestrial organization working on behalf of the Yith but they wouldn't have much face time.

Offline cutp

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2015, 09:38:33 PM »
that was a prolific pace, mr. west!

congrats :)

Offline Litebrite

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2015, 09:43:59 PM »
By the RPG rules, the summon spell has no restrictions from 'whence' the being is summoned from. Just need a spell caster to summon it. Mind swap first and then a summoning. The Ythian is here. (the summoning would have had to be done before the scenario most likely and by the team's Nemisis). So part of the storyline.

Lem   ;)

Offline mdomino

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2015, 12:46:24 AM »
Who makes the byakhee? I need one of those.
Mike D

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2015, 04:16:41 AM »
@Mdomino- those are Em4/MoonRaker models- dated, but great sculpts.

@HorridPerson- MiGo are hands down the most powerful lurker in the book. Great movement abilities, great close combat, great command ability, access to alien weapons, low cost... I've never seen anyone loose a game with them.

And the worst bit- they are from Vermont!

Seriously- a full 1/3 of my games I have spent shooting at MiGo, they have been over used in my group and they are very very powerful. Going up against them is a guaranteed loss. I got to try something different... And now that I have these models I got to figure something out... But they are huge! I threw them on a board last night and they are insane!

Im seriously thinking about selling them to an acquaintance of mine and just being done with them.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 04:26:34 AM by WallyTWest »

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2015, 06:46:34 AM »
That's a shame.  I hadn't bothered reading the stat lines  (narrative/story fixation) and was making my suggestion from a purely thematic point of view.  I liked their background and depending on the sculptor thought they looked really cool.

You didn't have your Yith in any photos with other models but with your hand as a scale those are massive.  Imposing is nice (2x the height of a man sized fig) but if your hand is similar to mine they are topping 3x comfortably.  Any of those heroclix styled prepaints ranges are a janky mess.  The lack of any internal continuity and sculpting standards within their mismatched ranks has always struck me as repulsive.  I won't encourage you to sell them but if I had them I would.  Ugly models are ugly models and if you identify them as such you will never get it out of your head whenever look upon them. 

I have a great looking classic grenadier three stage nun.  As a single character model she is awesome (I love the version with the lantern).  I also have SA and 7th ed RAFM CoC models (both scale well with Reaper figs).  She is the odd woman out.  I will paint her up because she could be a petite woman but it is causing me some hesitation.  I'm concerned that I won't be able to overlook the disparity (real or imagined) if I bring her to table. 

If you have your heart set on the great race have you considered sculpting something you feel more appropriate yourself?  Even if you have never worked with green stuff before this could be a good project to get your feet wet because the model would be large for a 28mm scaled piece which is good for early sculpts and the details are quite simple and could be achieved with very rudimentary sculpting skills.

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2015, 03:47:23 PM »
Who makes the Yithians ,  after all since Mike's been kind enough to include them in the new edition it'd be rude not to get some !

Offline Tsu

• Assistant
  • Cultist of the Ape
    • Strange Aeons G+ Community
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2015, 04:08:08 PM »
Pathfinder Battles prepainted :)

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2015, 05:36:10 PM »
Ah yes, I remember them now, many thanks.

Offline wellender

• Mad Scientist