Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:28:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691081
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote in Frostheim -SORRY- ALL PHOTOS PRIOR TO P.14 ARE INACCESSIBLE  (Read 55295 times)

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
Re: Koyote in Frostheim
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2015, 08:39:33 AM »
Sometimes it is better to just push on through. It's still a great looking model, even if you may dislike some of the colours. I do like him a lot. Keep it up!

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2015, 08:52:51 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  How do you go about black-lining?  Do you leave a black recess between borders, or do you paint it in?  What color brown do you use for brown-lining, and when would you do that instead of black-lining?

Regarding highlights, how many do you usually use for faces?  How many on clothing? (Average estimate, as you stated it varies)

Even though it’s traditionally called black-lining, the vast majority of the time I use a dark brown ink or, depending upon the colors that I’m separating, a lighter shade of brown or another color.  I will use black ink to black-line metal armor or in areas where two darker colors come into contact and brown ink won’t cut it.  If one or both of the colors are dark enough, you may not even need to black/brown-line.

I begin by painting a model by painting all or nearly all of my base coat colors. I don’t leave gaps between the colors.  Next, I apply my inks/washes.  Typically the inks/washes will create my black/brow- lining.  I begin highlighting by applying one or two thin coats of the base color to the raised and flat areas  that were washed, taking care to not paint over the black/brown lining created by the inks/washes.  If I accidentally paint over the black/brown-lining, I fix it by carefully applying small amounts of ink/wash to the effected area.  After this, I continue highlighting. During or after highlighting I sometimes use a thinned down ink/wash to lightly shade certain areas, such as shallow depressions or transition areas.

Depending upon how particular you are about your finished work, painting faces can be difficult.  I still f*** up faces.  

Sculpts with well defined facial features are much easier to paint than sculpts that are less well defined.  I use the technique described above to paint faces.  When painting faces or anything that is finely detailed, success requires a steady hand, a fine brush with a good tip, proper lighting, a proper brush load and paint properly thinned with water or a paint medium. If the paint is too thin it will flow like ink and get everywhere.  If it isn’t thin enough, you will struggle producing a smooth coat and getting the paint where you want it.  If your eyesight isn’t up to the task, get a magnifying lens.  It also helps to steady your hands or wrists on the edge of your painting table.

I hope this helps.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2015, 08:38:57 AM »
Thief

This fella started out an Otherworld Miniatures Male Thief v2.  I replaced the model's head with a head from a Bretonnian knight plastic kit.  I removed the model's sheathed longsword and boot knife.  Five blades are simply too much steel for a thief to be lugging about.  Plus, a Thief is not armed with a hand weapon and while the short sword in the model's right hand might pass as a very big dagger, the longsword on the model's belt could not.   

Lastly, I altered some of the model's proportions.  The original model's legs are very skinny and they sprout from a torso without a groin.  I used greenstuff to bulk up the model's upper legs, sculpt a groin for the poor fella and extend the padded vest below the model's belt.

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2015, 08:54:30 AM »
You are so talented! Thanks for sharing! He reminds me a little of Johann the Knife.

Offline Harry

• Scientist
« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2015, 10:44:50 AM »
Great stuff. Love that head swap.

Offline RoyWilliamson

• Scientist
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2015, 02:13:49 PM »
Wow! Excellent work all round.

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2015, 02:40:04 PM »
Great stuff - a nice bit of figure bashing.

Offline Iamafish

• Bookworm
« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2015, 08:35:52 PM »
your painting is great , makes me ashamed to post my stuff !

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2016, 11:25:14 PM »
Dwarf Troll Slayer (counts-as Barbarian)

I don't have much to say about this fella. The model is an Avatars of War plastic Dwarf Berserker.  Not a lot of conversion work on this one. My original plan was to go sans mohawk (SEE below), but at the last moment I decided to remain true to the traditional GW Slayer imagery.

Troll Slayer WIP

Offline Harry

• Scientist
« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2016, 12:49:15 AM »
Nice. ... and a happy new year to you too. :D

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2016, 08:23:34 AM »
Halfling Ratcatcher (counts-as Tracker)

I painted this sleepy little fellow several years ago to serve as a hired sword for my Averlander Mordheim warband.  I am very fond of this quirky little model and I'd like for him to see some more table time, so tonight I pulled him out of my display cabinet and touched him up a bit. 

Equipped with staff and sling (counts-as bow), he's armed like a Tracker.  Moreover, since his trade requires him to hunt rats in city streets, buildings and sewers, he's probably pretty good at stalking and tracking down prey in an urban environment. And when it comes to a fight, what he lacks in size and strength he makes up for with his propensity to strike his two-legged prey in the family jewels.

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2016, 08:58:34 AM »
A lovely, characterful figure, and a great paintjob!

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2016, 09:07:57 AM »
Nice work so far  :-*

Regarding "Hans", your treasure hunter.
I was also planning to get him and was wondering if you would work scale-wise with the old Confrontation-minis, as these minis are also on the larger side ;)

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #88 on: January 07, 2016, 05:08:24 AM »
Regarding "Hans", your treasure hunter.
I was also planning to get him and was wondering if you would work scale-wise with the old Confrontation-minis, as these minis are also on the larger side ;)
I think that Hans will scale well against the Confrontation human minis.  Hans may be a bit taller, but I suspect that's by design. He's tall and lanky.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2016, 01:43:04 AM »
If I'm going to be ready for Adepticon in April, I need to get back to work on my SAGA Irish warband.  Before my Frostgrave hiatus I thought I'd give you a preview of my future plans for Frostgrave.

When I get back to Frostgrave, my first order of business will be to paint a Minor Demon and Imps for my Summoner to summon.

And now that I've painted Sir Quixote and his squire Sancho, I want to add a few more Estalian mercenaries to my warband. I've ordered some Gamezone Miniatures models pictured below to serve as Sir Quixote's Estalian Men-at-Arms.  

I in addition to the Estalian Men-at-Arms I also need to add a Templar and Marksman to my stable of painted 'Frostheim' models. Below are an Empire Captain and a converted Bretonnian man-at-arms model that should fill these roles, nicely.  Like Quixote and Sancho I am going to paint this pair as a team - a Knight Templar and Sergeant-at-Arms. They won't be Estalians or Averlanders so I have to decide on a new color scheme.

My second 'Frostheim' warband was going to be a Rankin/Bass-esqe Dwarven warband, but then I was lured away by the amazing Frostgrave plastic cultists and the new metal cultist Soldiers.

My cultist warband will be led insane and diabolical Necromancer (really, is there any other type of Necromancer?). There are many great Necromancer models out there, so it was a tough choice, but ultimately I settled on Custom Made Mini's Necromancer.

Selecting a model for an Apprentice was a bit more tricky. I like the Frostgrave Necromancer Apprentice models, but since so much of my cultist warband is going to be 'right out of the box" (i.e. little or no conversions), I want Spellcasters to be a bit more customized. I got the idea for my Mad Jester from a similar conversion that I saw in another thread, several weeks ago.  I've tried to find that thread again so that I can credit the hobbiest that I inspired my conversion, but can't find it. If that hobbiest is you, thanks for the idea.

Original model:

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 02:22:42 AM by Koyote »