Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:52:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690823
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 10mm Vietnam questions  (Read 2480 times)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
10mm Vietnam questions
« on: November 20, 2015, 07:24:54 PM »
Hello,

What do you think will be the best way to base 10mm Vietnam War miniatures? At first I was considering using FoW bases but then I thought it could be a good idea to base the figures, in group of 2 to 4, on round 25mm bases.

Does anyone have any other options/suggestions?

Also, what Rules would you recommend. Keep in mind that, so far, my collection mainly includes Infantry figures, only 2 or 3 AFV and 2 Chopper…

Cheers! 8)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 02:29:39 PM by Calimero »
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: 10mm Vietnam questions
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 03:00:28 PM »
*bump* ...and same questions ;)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 03:27:12 PM »
Pick your rules first, then base accordingly.
Decide on single figure casualties or rosters, 1-1 scale or 1 base per squad or platoon, what size battles are you gaming...platoon patrols or Battalion level "sweep and clear" operations.

My suggestion on rules for mainly infantry games is (always will be) Crossfire, for which there are excellent Vietnam/Modern conversions. Works up to supported company or Battalion level if you have enough players.
Although for the larger scale engagements maybe the 5Core Company Command set which I am looking at for 10mm Falklands at the moment.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 05:58:10 PM »
As robh says it will largely depend on the rules/scale of game you are using... for some it's actually the base that's important rather than the number of figures on it.

My one-size fits all 'looks right' solution would be to base in terms of fire teams and weapon teams... but the size of these could vary from unit to unit for a variety of factors. 

I can't offer any options for rules I'm afraid, but if I find any I like I'll try to remember to let you know.  ;)

Offline julesav

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 09:44:18 PM »
The obvious rules choice is probaby the Flames of War Vietnam variant 'Tour of Duty'. This will give you a playable game but at the 'game' end of the game vs simulation spectrum.

Cold War Commander might also work - it contains 'Nam army lists but it has an activation dice roll mechanism (borrowed from WarMaster) that is not to everyone's liking!
"Some scientists say that humans exhibit a behavior called neophilia, which is a preference for new objects. It’s why we like shiny new things."

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 01:27:26 PM »

Thanks for the replies, I’ll have to check out the suggested rules... The "problem" is, as always, that I’m more of a figures painter and collector than a real wargamer... I might very well end up selling these figures once painted.

In fact, I’m looking forward to paint them and, for such small figures, it is far more easier to base them before they are painted.

Anyhow, thanks again for the replies... I’ve still got some thinking to do ;D

Cheers! 8)

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 06:08:06 PM »
As rules I recommend Charlie Do not Surf from TFL. It plays well in 10mm, (company sized games, I think that 10mm it is perfect, if I did not overspend in 15mm... but pendraken is tempting).

You play the period and there are plenty of interesting scenarios.

As basing, I would say 3-5 men (only the USMC had fire teams at the time). Thus a PAVN/NLF squad will be two stands (one 4 one 5) and you can mark casualties). Three 4 men bases give you a full (rare) USMC squad, while the army was usually around 8.

Arrigo
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com