Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:11:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: FIW gallery/Included in April 2019 Wargames Illustrated  (Read 7426 times)

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
FIW gallery/Included in April 2019 Wargames Illustrated
« on: November 21, 2015, 03:57:44 AM »
The five pictures posted below are samples from a 95-picture gallery I have put together reflecting my 15mm/18mm French and Indian War (FIW) collection.  The collection is presented as four phases of the FIW displayed on four 5 ft. x 7 ft. tables.   The gallery is accompanied by a lengthy write-up explaining what went into the making of the collection.  If you like the sample pictures, and I hope that you do, please check out the entire gallery at www.warin15mm.com
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 09:59:21 PM by War In 15MM »

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Large FIW gallery of 95 pictures
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 08:22:37 AM »
Totally awesome. Once again regardless of the collecting and painting it all (1500+ miniatures!) you and your daughter are able to photograph and tell little stories really well.

Thank you so much for sharing.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 08:30:06 AM »
Utterly superb, fantastic work, that is a pleasure to see.

Great bit of narrative as well  :)

Thank you for sharing

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 03:27:28 AM »
von Lucky and Tactalvanic, thank you both for taking the time to write and for your very kind words.  As I said in the write up that accompanies the gallery, this collection is something I have dreamed of doing since I was a little kid, and believe me that was a long time ago.  I had a wonderful time collecting it, in some cases constructing it, painting it and organizing it for the photo shoot, so I really appreciate that you have enjoyed it too.  Thanks again.  Richard

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 04:19:40 AM »
Richard,
Spectacular work as always  :-* :-* I really admire your painting on 15s, too small a scale for my eyes.  I like that you get the Euro-American fields right, fenced while the Native American fields are unfenced.  The unfenced fields were often subject to the depredations of loose European livestock - a common source of conflict.  One gentle critique on the Indian fields.  They typically grew their crops in low mounds that were planted in corn, beans, and squash/pumpkin. The corn as it grew provided support for the twining beans and squash/pumpkins, while the understory of beans and squash kept out weeds. So your field of pumpkins would be better in the Colonial setting rather than in a Native American village.  I also like all of the deer skins staked out and drying. Totally spot on for the period as trade had shifted from furs to deerskins. Thanks for sharing another great photojournal!
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline archiduque

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 12:47:23 PM »
Fantastic work my friend!!!! :-* :-*

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 05:51:14 PM »
Marvelous!  :o Being a great fan of 15mm, it's inspiring to see what can be done with the scale!

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 04:33:42 AM »
marianas gamer, rafa, and shandy, thanks to all three of you for the very generous comments.  They are sincerely appreciated. 

marianas gamer, additional thanks for the information about Indian fields... I was working from paintings and guess-work.  As to the pumpkin field, I should admit that it was a last minute October inclusion decision... kind of an homage to Halloween and fall.

Rafa, it is always wonderful to hear from you... as I have said many times before, I love your work and it makes me very happy to know you have enjoyed mine.

Shandy, it's not easy to give a 15mm collection/layout the detail and flavor that can be had with the 28s, but it is great fun trying.  Thank you for making me feel I've had some success in that direction.

Richard

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 06:33:06 PM »
Very impressive as always. I love the amount of detail you get in your collections

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 12:12:29 AM »
The french and indian war captures my imagination as it does yours and it has been a real pleasure looking over these pictures as I slow down for a few minutes with work for the week behind me and Thanksgiving ahead. Wonderful collection, great craftsmanship. I like that you have your figures presented in collections. These days the norm are posts to show what someone is doing at the moment and these are great, but many people whose work I admire aren't thinking in the long term and have no gallery, and so you can get a sense of the collection as a whole if you sift through old posts but there is not the satisfaction of seeing it all together. Like you I feel a need to show the collection.

Earlier this year I picked up the first installment of my planned Blue Moon collection, about 750 figures, the fort and lodges, etc. So it's especially great to see an example showing, yes, it CAN be done!  lol And all in one year, you say, very impressive. I'm at the stage of filing mold lines and am about 300 figures in, planning to do priming all in one go when the whether is warm enough for it next year.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 04:17:55 AM »
The gallery is a testament to your dedication and artistry. It is an atmospheric and inspiring wander through your project. I'm sure it took a lot of time to do, but rest assured it is inspiring countless other enthusiasts....

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 02:39:30 AM »
This is just terrible.  An absolute travesty.  Unforgivable.  I was NOT the first person to respond to this post!  Oh, the shame, the shame.

lol  I've only been watching for this for about two years, maybe a little longer since I've known for quite some time this was on the approach march.

Wow, Richard!  And 1500 figures in one year.  I wish!  Richard is the only other person in 15 mm who I'm aware of who collects such large numbers of figures as I do - but he is miles and miles ahead of me on getting his painted.

Well, done sir, very well done indeed.  I will be back, again and again and again to look this over.  
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 07:17:34 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline kingsmt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 08:06:58 AM »
Wonderful!! An inspiration to us all. Thanks for sharing this.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 12:41:31 AM »
Thanks so much to all for your taking the time to write and for your very generous and much appreciated words. 

gamer Mac, the saying goes that the devil is in the detail but the detail is where I find so much of the fun.  I'm really glad you enjoy it too.

Spooktalker, I hope you will post your collection when you get it done.  As my write up says, the FIW holds a special place for me so I love seeing the work that others do with that exciting period.

mikedemana and kingsmt, I drop by LAF almost everyday for a shot of inspiration, and I'm seldom disappointed by the wonderful talent that posts on this site.  So when I post, I hope that I'm returning some of that to others... and it's wonderful when members like you take the time to write and say nice things about the "work" I have done.  Thanks so much again.

FifteensAway, honestly I was getting worried that my FIW had been a disappointment to you... perhaps I had played too long in the fields of 28mm.  So it's was great to see your post and to know that you have enjoyed my return to the true faith.

Here in the USA it is the Sunday of the Thanksgiving weekend which means a big dinner on Thursday/Thanksgiving day with the extended family, Black Friday sales which actually began last Wednesday, and for my wife and me this Sunday is the time to hang the Christmas lights on the house... been doing that for 30 years.  With that said I will end this post by saying how thankful I am to have found this crazy hobby which brings me constant joy and for the kindness of people like you who have written to tell me you have enjoyed what I have done.  My sincere thanks, and Seasons Greetings to all.  Richard

Offline Captain_Hook

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 11:23:19 PM »
Fantastic pics and presentation. Thank you for sharing.

I have always been more of a historical gamer, but never really ventured into the FIW. I purchased the rules "Muskets and Tomahawks", and have become fascinated with that period. Still have much to learn, but thoroughly enjoying it. 

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.