Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:52:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Intro: Lao Xane and now Lao Jade (Warband Reboot Jul 06)  (Read 10429 times)

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
Intro: Lao Xane and now Lao Jade (Warband Reboot Jul 06)
« on: December 05, 2015, 05:01:18 PM »
As Lao Xane reached the top of the rise a ramshackle village came into view and beyond it the mountain pass that lead to the ruins of the frozen city now known as Frostgrave. There were many newer buildings in the once small village below which was now shaping up to become a town or evin a city for this was the last bastion of civilization before entering the foreboding magical wastes that even now were crawling with all manner of creatures both magical and mundane. Dispite this Xane knew the risk would be worth it for within the frozen depths and catacombs were mystical wonders of a lost age and he would be the one to discover them.

Xane was distracted from his musings by the sounds of bickering. Looking back he spied his apprentice Jade arguing with Vandel and smiled. Those two should just make it formal and get it over with. Even if Xane hadn’t seen this with his divinations it didn’t take magic to see these two were in love. Xane shook his head, just as long as it didn’t interrupt her studies or his research the relationship just tied Vandel more tightly to his little band.  Vandal’s brother Korvak had seen the exchange as well and scowled. There was one to keep an eye on. Personality wise the opposite of his brother. Both were renowned hunters and expert marksmen and normally be much too expensive to keep on retainer but they owed Xane for saving their home village and so they traveled with Xane, a dept of honor they could never really repay.

Thinking of the village brought back the memory of how they had found him. They were desperate, an evil wolflord had insinuated itself into their village and in the run of a month everyone was infected. When Korvak and Vandel returned home they were forced to flee from their friends and family who were being controlled by the Wolflord. They think they found Xane by luck, but it was his divinations lead him to them and told him what to expect. It was a savage battle but in the end Xane was able to defeat the Wolf Lord freeing his victims and if it were just that then Xane would have taken a reward and been on his way but the people were still infected and would become uncontrolled monsters on the next full moon. Xane used the last magics of the only relic he had been able to save from doomed Xao. It allowed him to put a permanent mental enchantment on the entire village. This didn’t cure their affliction but it allowed them to remain in control of themselves when the change came upon them or any they accidently infected,(though Xane cautioned them to be very careful not to infect others).

Though many protested their accursed state they knew it could have been much worse. Some came to accept the change and volunteered to accompany Vandel and Korvak with Xane to the frozen city. Xane even promised to return if any cure for the affliction could be found and if one could be found anywhere it was Frostgrave. At first Creed, Victor, Rhane, and Leana were just camp followers helping with choirs, hunting cooking, but soon they acclimated to their condition and with practice began to control their transformations. This made them ideal out runners and scouts. I foresee them only becoming stronger with time and experience.  Their feral natures have had another unexpected side effect. Two large wolves have decided to attach themselves to our “pack”. It seems they sense that the shifters are subservient to me which makes me pack leader. It was so easy to teach them simple commands and they obey everyone in the group, very eager to please like overgrown puppies really but threaten one of their pack or give them the order and they would rip out someone’s throat.

Hopefully there were other far stranger bands drawn by the promise of magic and riches. Thinking of strange brought Xane back to thinking of his personal servant “James”. Though technically an animated corpse James is not your average mindless zombie. He was in life the Lao family butler. His family had served the Lao’s for generations but he was the last of his line. His family centuries ago (possibly even as far back as before the ice covered Frostgrave) had sworn to serve the Lao’s and some great magic was cast binding them to the family so now even after his death James keeps reanimating to serve. Never complaining and always insightful James is simply put one hell of a butler “Even if it takes a cantrip every day to prevent unpleasant odors”.

Xane gathered his followers and began walking down the hill. The sun was setting and wind had begun to howl. Soon a storm would blow in he had foreseen it. Shelter was their first concern then after getting some basic supplies they would begin their first foray into the ruins looking for a secure place to make their base camp. What wonders and horrors awaited them? For all his mystical abilities at peering into the future even Xane could not say for sure.

End....for now.

Lao Xane is a traveller from the far east. He hales from the lost city of Xao. During it’s final days Xane divined what was to happen. He fled the city with but a few trinkets, his faithful apprentice Jade and his living impaired butler James. He knew the counsel would not believe him for they had been consumed by the politics of the ancient city and so he fled.

Xane had heard of the ancient city of magic now known as Frostgrave and set out in a quest to learn great and powerful magics lost to time.

Starting Warband/Expansion plans:
Lao Xane Soothsayer (Primary Wizard)
Jade (Apprentice)
1.   Korvak (Marksman)
2.   Vandel (Marksman)
3.   Creed (Thief eventually upgrade to Treasure hunter or maybe Barbarian)
4.   Victor (Thief eventually upgrade to Treasure hunter or maybe Barbarian)
5.   Rhine (Thief eventually upgrade to Treasure hunter)
6.   Leina (Thief eventually upgrade to Treasure hunter)
7.   Fang (Warhound/Wolf) *eventually will be slotted into Kennel bonus.
8.   Snarl (Warhound/Wolf) *to be replaced with a Raven master: Mesha (Raven: Loki)
9.   (Inn bonus) Third Marksman: Lucas Sure shot
10.   (Kennel bonus) Raven master: Sasha (Raven: Thor)
Others:
Summoned Zombie: James (the living impaired butler)

Hope you all liked the story. I plan to do a similar write up for each battle Xane is in along with an after battle story/blurb to explain any new hires or events.
Now I just need to complete/paint all the miniatures for the war band.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 09:41:23 AM by Timeshadow »

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
Re: Intro: Lao Xane from the lost city of Xao
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 05:23:52 PM »
Nice intro. Can't wait to see the minis!
"My claim is based on rational thought and the fact that I've got more than enough charges in my Tesla Cannon to leave nothing but your twitching, smoldering digits!" - Nelson, Full Frontal Nerdity

Gold foil, diamond-etched, creme filled, limited-edition, collector's item number one anger issues

Offline Iamafish

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 06:52:27 PM »
like it, Nice backgroud mate  :D

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 03:01:04 PM »
Here is my Wizard Lao Xane and his companions... minus James still need to put him together.  :D

Warning!! If anyone is offended by medeioker painting please look away. I am a gamer not an artist.
This was a public service announcement. Regardless I had fun painting them and that's the main goal really  ;)

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 03:02:46 PM »
Group photo!!

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 02:20:01 AM »
First Battle!!!

Xane peered into the shifting smoke as he chanted the words of power and he suddenly knew where they would go for their first foray into the foreboding ruins of Frostgrave. He nodded to Jade who doused the ceremonial candles and began packing up the ritual gear. “South through the ice caves then toward the black obelisk. There we will find great treasures but will be confronted by fire and brimstone. Beyond that I cannot see. The skeins of fate are frayed which means another wizard’s magic will be in play. I see blood on the snow but I cannot be certain if it is ours or theirs.” Jade looked up at Xane as she finished the packing with a worried expression. “Can you see death?” What Xane knew she meant was will Vandal be hurt. “That question is beneath you my apprentice. You should concentrate on your own divination and preparation. We can only see what may happen and even then we can only affect the outcome if we are prepared and we are strong enough.” Jade bowed and went to tell the others they would be leaving soon and to prepare for battle.

First Battle (Standard match) vs Damien Black the Summoner (played by my friend Rod)

Opponent’s warband

Wizard (Damien Black) Summoner w Sword & Dagger

Spells: Summon Demon, Leap, Bind Demon, Brew Potion, Raise Zombie, Elemental bolt, Heal, Mind Control

Apprentice (Cole) w Sword & Dagger

Archer, Archer, Infantryman, Infantryman, Thief, Thief, Thug, Thug

Pre combat spells

Xane: Reveal secret and Raise Zombie were both successful

Damien: Raise Zombie and one Brew Potion (Demon in a bottle) successful.

Pics and report to follow.

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 05:03:36 AM »
Xane finally relaxed, they were safe for now. Their first excursion into Frostgrave was nearly their last. Nearly half the party had been taken down before he was able to route the insidious Summoner he now knew as Damien Black. Things looked bleak for a wile there as both Fang and Snarl were sent running by one of Damien's cruel thugs and Creed got taken out by a bolt of hellfire from Damien himself. Luckily they were able to rally and drive them away first by defeating their summoned minions then by taking control of one of Damien's blade beasts sending it after his apprentice. Xane recalled the shocked look on his face as he himself brought the unfortunate apprentice low with a mighty blow from his staff. His seeing had not been wrong. The snow was stained with blood though it had been mostly the enemies. A hefty sum of gold along with no less than four grimories to study and an enchanted crossbow for Vandel were their prizes. They had claimed this abandoned Inn which was quite comfortable and everyone had recovered completely from their wounds. Now the real work began.

Summoner Damien Black with his apprentice Cole and friends.

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 05:05:08 AM »
The board

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 05:07:05 AM »
Starting positions

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 05:16:35 AM »
My casualties..... they all rolled over 9 so full recovery. I collected 5 treasures including 4 grimories and a magic X-Bow (+1 shoot) and 410GC.
I also recieved 430 xp for spells cast, an apprentice and soldier kill by Xane and 5 treasures.

Damien(Rod) didn't do as well with only 2 treasures and a total of 200 xp

We both agreed a very fun match. 

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 11:07:04 AM »
Looks like a great first game - fantastic looking board too!

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 01:10:28 AM »
Xane's next foray into Frostgrave... The Living Museum. Here is where the battle will take place...now I just need to wait on an opponent :-)

And a pic of my living statues.

Offline exploding youth

• Scientist
    • Tired World Studio
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 01:42:38 AM »
I only just saw this thread after posting mine. Nice them and great work!

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 05:27:38 AM »
Jade burst into Xane’s chambers “Master I have news!!”  Xane looked up from the grimoire he was studying. “What is it my student? What has you so worked up; you know emotion interferes with our sight.” Jade calmed herself, “I have done it master I have deciphered the runes from the manuscript. They tell of a museum where some of the city’s greatest treasures were once placed on display. I have a location!” “Well done Jade. Now go and gather the others we have no time to waste. My foresight tells me that we are not the only ones that have discovered this location. We have no time for a proper reading I will cast my auguries as we travel. Prepare yourself my student I fear more than rival treasure hunters will challenge us this day.”

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 11:02:08 PM »
Treasure tokens  ;)