Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:29:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: For inspiration: retro scifi cars from Fisher Body Craftsman’s Guild  (Read 2082 times)

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Re: For inspiration: retro scifi cars from Fisher Body Craftsman’s Guild
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 08:36:18 PM »
Some of the less outlandish ones would even be excellent for a "proper" non-retro sci-fi setting. There was an episode of Black Mirror set in a near future part of the concept of which seemed to be that all the upper middle class people are driving vintage cars from the 50s-60s or replicas thereof. It felt to me like a very natural extrapolation of modern-day consumerism and hipsterism. I'm not an automotive engineer, but I could easily imagine that in a future well-to-do society similar to the western world today, "design consumerism" will have made actual cars like some of those Fisher Body Craftsman's Guild models commonplace.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 09:15:08 PM »
That's already the case on a small scale, thanks to replica cars and kitcars.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 09:50:20 PM »
Haven't thought about those competitions for years.

I remember in high school hearing the announcements, and know it was completely out of my experience to attempt, but they were interesting. Basic 'how you cram a human body into a vehicle' but your imagination's the limit there after.

I do remember they made a big thing of how you could make taillights out of toothbrush handles, which were mostly clear colors at the time.

Do realize that the Fisher Body engineers created a lot of the same thing, and a few even made it to cars, INCREDIBLY toned down.

Doug

Edit:
That's already the case on a small scale, thanks to replica cars and kitcars.

If you think about it, on a bigger scale, the same thing is straight from design to customer, with Chrysler's Prowler, Viper, and PT Cruiser.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 10:01:16 PM by The_Beast »

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 10:47:04 PM »
In addition, the craftsmanship looks amazing, more so considering the boys who built these did so on kitchen tables and not in Detroit studios.

Aye, that.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 01:45:20 AM »
Remember, this was back when 'what's good for General Motors is good for [the USA] '

Far as I know, there isn't a program with people going out to schools across the country making presentations, the way they did when I was in high school.

Doug

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 06:46:14 AM »
Some of the less outlandish ones would even be excellent for a "proper" non-retro sci-fi setting
Depending on the definition of "outlandish", I might actually go with some of the more so -- as I'm rather a fan of the far futuristic high techy stuff.

But generally it's obviously possible that a society with excessive amount of time and other resources on their hands can turn whatever historic period for inspiration -- nothing really ever goes away after all, it just gets recycled endlessly. We already have a thriving quasi-Victorian aesthetics reliant subculture that could precede full blown Neo-Victorians of The Diamond Age or Gun Club zoku of The Causal Angel. So why not a Fifties inspired one too.