Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:12:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690842
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mantic gets another liscense! This time, The Walking Dead!  (Read 26517 times)

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
Re: Mantic gets another liscense! This time, The Walking Dead!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 09:21:15 PM »
Mmmm, this could be yet another project...  ;D

Cheers,

Za

BTW how are you doing TBC?

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 09:44:08 PM »
I'm both intrigued and lackadaisical about the announcement. On the one hand, more zombies. There are dozens of options out there for zombie miniatures. On the other hand, character miniatures based on the comics (and hopefully tv, but they mentioned only the comic...so a Darryl mini seems a way off) would be very exciting to see.

By mentioning factions I think we'll see the zombies take a back seat and possibly play something like the zombies in Deadzone, rather than one player controlling them against the humans. If the scenario play and characterization is there, this game could get my attention. If not, I'll likely let it pass me by.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 09:57:03 PM »
Personally not one i'll be investing in, but i do like mantic and wish them the best of luck with it.   :)
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 11:17:20 PM »
Anything to do with Mantic gets a massive no vote from me. 

Let them put right the problems with everything else they have done in the last 18 months before launching yet another money grab.
 >:(

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 01:45:32 AM »
The only Mantic products I own are their wonderful ghouls and zombies, so I don't have any negative feelings about this (as a fan of the show), just positive.  :)

Out of curiosity, where does the ill will towards Mantic come from?

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 03:19:25 AM »
I'll be skipping this. Not impressed with Dungeon Saga minis and fulfillment. Saying that I did spring for the shipping of the revised rulebook. DIdn't want the game incomplete.
I may get this at retail if it turns out looking any good. I hope they go for hard plastic instead of the other cr@p they use.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 03:36:58 AM »

Offline wellender

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 03:52:20 AM »
I don't have a problem with Mantic. Mars Attacks went fine for me and I am currently in Deadzone and Warpath which I don't really find that problematic yet.  

This doesn't grab me though and I read The Walking Dead.  I don't see the point of yet another zombie based game.  There are tons of them out there already.  I don't really feel like The Walking Dead, be it comics or TV, adds much to the genre for gaming.  Maybe if the rules were Player Vs. Player survivor goups with game controlled zombies.  But even the latest Zombicide does that.  I think All Things Zombie does too.  They could reward you for poor decision making, because Rick makes tons of bad calls to advance the plot:)

The books aren't deep enough to mine too many factions from.  You've got Rick's group, Woodbury, and the Saviors.  Maybe one or two smaller meaningless groups.

One good thing could be drawing attention to our hobby.  I know many comic shops that wouldn't touch a miniatures game not associated with a comic or Star Wars.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 03:56:37 AM by wellender »

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 03:57:59 AM »
I'll be skipping this. Not impressed with Dungeon Saga minis and fulfillment. Saying that I did spring for the shipping of the revised rulebook. DIdn't want the game incomplete.
I may get this at retail if it turns out looking any good. I hope they go for hard plastic instead of the other cr@p they use.

Yeah, if it's plastic-resin or whatever my interest will drop hard, although I'd hope that with this likely being very popular, they'd be able to afford hard plastic.

This soesn't grab me though and I read The Walking Dead.  I don't see the point of yet another zombie based game.  There are tons of them out there already.  I don't really feel like The Walking Dead, be it comics or TV, adds much to the genre for gaming.  Maybe if the rules were Player Vs. Player survivor goups with game controlled zombies.  But even the latest Zombicide does that.  I think All THings Zombie does too.  They could reward you for poor decision making, because Rick makes tons of bad calls to advance the plot:)

The books aren't deep enough to mine too many factions.  You've got Rick's group, Woodbury, and the Saviors.  Maybe one or two smaller meaningless groups.

One good thing could be drawing attention to our hobby.  I know many comic shops that wouldn't touch a miniatures game not associated with a comic or Star Wars.

Ah, for me personally I don't have a favorite (or any) rule set for playing Zombies yet, aside from Zombicide which I like as a board game but don't think I'd really want to use as a full on miniatures game.  I also haven't invested in zombie miniatures other than some basic plastic zeds from WGF and Studio miniatures; that combined with the appeal of TWD characters to both myself and many of my friends who I'm trying to get into gaming is where my excitement stems from I guess.  It does seem like I am in the minority on here, LAFers all seem to have extensive zombie gaming collections already.  lol

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 04:07:41 AM »
I'm in the same boat, I dont yet have a favorite zombie game.  Zombicide is great for a board game, but I'd like something where the zombies can be run as an opposing group or as a third party.  I have ATZ but I think it's awful.  It's a book full of tables and it feels like a 'press your luck' style game where it's all over when the dice turn against you. 
I have all of the zombies that Studio makes, plus the WGF plastics for Zombies and Survivors.  So if I can just buy the new rules from Mantic I'm willing to give it a go.

Offline wellender

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 05:21:35 AM »
Normally I am a miniatures first kind of guy. I can always use the miniatures for something else if I don't like the rules. In this case I think the rules will have to sway me.

Offline mister c

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 08:05:46 AM »
The game will be groups of survivors facing off against each other fighting over limited resources.  The Walkers are there as a hazard (and can be used to harass your opponent).  Noise etc. draws them.
Check out my gaming and painting blog (Including Frostgrave) at
http://periodicpainting.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/frostgrave.html

Offline Iv.An.

• Bookworm
  • Andrey Iv
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 09:04:31 AM »
New hard plastic* miniatures for All Things Zombie  :)
*i hope

And i hope it will match Wargames Factory miniatures successfully.

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 05:46:56 PM »

Video with a tiny bit of info.
Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.