Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:42:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689769
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Good starting lurkers?  (Read 3966 times)

Offline gruulgor

• Assistant
Good starting lurkers?
« on: January 05, 2016, 08:39:40 PM »
Hi to everybody, I've finished to read Strange Aeons (love it, although I'm not very convinced with the activation system) and I'm planning to run a couple of demo games for my friends.

I was wondering if someone could suggest me some good lurkers for my first games. So far I have:

- A maniac.
- Lots of ghouls.
- A big bunch of cultists.
- A witch and some familiars.
- A mummy and some zombies.
- Some deep ones/fishmen of different sizes.
- Some big creatures (Tsathogghua, reaper star spawn)

My main scenarios will be a classic graveyord/ruined church, a haunted forest and Africa (mid-west city and jungle).

So ... any suggestions are welcome :)

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
Re: Good starting lurkers?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 10:04:28 PM »
What makes a good starting Lurker?
The Maniac is a classic and is the bane of many a Threshold list. Any Lurker that has some form of Command is useful, so Cultists are a classic. I think the Alien list offers some great potential.

Don't underestimate Vermin. Their movement and 1d3 CCB can be very effective. They are a great way to top-up a list.

The Formless Thing can be a real challenge for a new Threshold list and a lot of fun to play for the Monster Hunt scenario.

Slow moving Lurkers can be a handicap when points are low since you don't get enough of them to really cover the board. Threshold can move very effectively as long as they have their command to work with and can easily avoid slow moving undead.

Planning ahead is a good idea.
Kudos to you for doing just that!
Each basic scenario describes the the number and type of Lurkers that can be used. So I like to have three simple 15 point Lurker lists on hand that meet the most common requirements and work with my collection of minis.

It's easy enough to take those lists and edit them up to match the value of a Threshold list as it re-equips or gets promoted. Very soon you'll have a collection of useful and interesting Lurker lists that you enjoy playing and can get the most out of.

Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 06:52:12 AM »
Great Question!!!

My advice would be either fugure out your favorite lovecraft fiction and go on that- or pick your favorite models. There is no "competitive" Strange Aeons play.

There is a ton of re-playability in the starter set- and by adding a few boss monsters into that you can get a real range of playability.

Most of your games are going to focus on the 15-25 point bracket. With the endgame barely breaking 30-35 in my experience. Owning too much is a real danger. 6 varied agents is enough.

I will say there is a zombie scenario that features large numbers of modern zombies- and that may be my "one regret"- is not quite having enough undead to do the match with the correct models (I have to substitute ghouls)

The only figure I would call a "Must" is a formless thing- and plenty of manufacturers make a suitable model. It comes in the starter kit and is a good laugh.

Starter Kit plus Zombies and some of what "you want" will get you very far in this game.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 03:52:25 PM »
There is no "competitive" Strange Aeons play.

Word.

When a Threshold lists looses a game, it typically gains some small benefit or at least an interesting tic that makes playing it more fun. When it wins, the opportunities to play with more interesting Lurkers are broadened.

It's win-win all the way!

Offline Grumbling Grognard

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 05:59:13 PM »
Cultists
Zombies
Zombie Dogs (cheaper)
Animated Limbs (even cheaper undead)
Swarms
Ghouls
A few "ghost-types" and a grave marker or two (don't forget these)

I find them all to be quite cheap, and a good fight for low level characters.  The more specialized HP Lovecraftian stuff is great, but IMO, generally stronger as well.
Scott Clinton
(aka The Grumbling Grognard)

Offline rcketscientst

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 11:59:23 PM »
Definitely do not underestimate zombie dogs.  Combine them with the mad scientist.  His serum works on "zombie" class things, and zombie dogs are in that category.  With double the number of zombies, they can become much more bite than bark.

Offline Grumbling Grognard

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 03:34:55 PM »
Definitely do not underestimate zombie dogs.  Combine them with the mad scientist.  His serum works on "zombie" class things, and zombie dogs are in that category.  With double the number of zombies, they can become much more bite than bark.

While I do love the zombie dogs (and the mad scientist) I disagree with your understanding of the rule for the use of the serum which states:
Quote from: Strange Aeons 2nd Edition digital edition
Diabolical Serum: The Mad Scientist can (as an Action) inject Zombie models in base-to-base with a diabolical serum. Only Zombie models can be injected and only one injection attempted per model.  Once injected roll on the Reagent Table and apply the results.

But, under the "Zombie" monster, as well as "Zombie Dog" their "Special" simply indicates "Undead".  In other words, I think you are implying a "class" of monsters (or perhaps a subclass of "Undead" monsters) that are called "Zombies".  I see no indication that this sub-class exists.  Thus when the rule for the serum says "Zombie", I am reading that is the exact monster type zombie which does not include the dogs, nor animated limbs, or a construct, etc.

Also, I have used the Mad Scientist a few times and IMHO allowing them to use the serum on zombie dogs may be a bit over the top for the point cost.

But, this is just my 2 bits.  It is Uncle Mikes game.

Scott

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 07:27:33 PM »
Zombie dogs can't be injected with the serum, only zombies.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 04:27:21 PM »
Hey- I had some additional thoughts-

Keep in mind that at 5&10 victories lurkers get free artifacts and a nemisis model. I suggest taking this into account when planning a collection.

Offline gruulgor

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 05:51:36 PM »
Some great advice here  :) Thanks to everybody.

I know that there's no competitve play in SA, and I'll try to pick my favourite models. My question was more on the line "who works well with whom". For example: cultists. What would be a good standard crew of cultists? Not in the line of obliterate the enemy, something like "This usually works for me".

I was planning to run three linked games:

- On the first one the threshold must find one lost agent and they find him, but he's with a bunch of cultists that are ready to sacrifice him. In the middel of the fight the lost agent manages to escape.

- On the second one they end finding him in the middle of a forest, but now he's a maniac and attacks them!  lol At the end they discover that the body of the lost agent is full of cuts and scars.  Any suggestions for skills/equipment/plot points? I would like to run him solo if it's possible.

- At the end all the clues points to a cabin in the woods were they face their real enemies: Two/ Three mi-go (depends if it's better to have two with equipment and skills or just three).

The lost agent was investigating a cult of the old ones led by the mi-go and was discovered. The mi-go conducted a series of experiments with him, but he managed to escape from them, so the mi-go sent some cultists to find him :)

Any suggestions?

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 04:20:59 AM »
I've realy been focusing on 3 game story arcs! Fascinating that you have found the same pattern!

The answer is I recommend Migo and cultists... Because that's what you just described... The starter set will give you enough to work with. For the MiGo, sounds like you know what you're looking for.

Some themed objectives- like a brain in a jar. A 2x3 gaming mat and terrain, and you're in business!

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 08:24:21 PM »
I know that there's no competitve play in SA, and I'll try to pick my favourite models. My question was more on the line "who works well with whom". For example: cultists. What would be a good standard crew of cultists? Not in the line of obliterate the enemy, something like "This usually works for me".

I approach them as characters, same as my investigators. I pick individual models I like for cultists, and give them traits & loadouts based on the characters & backstory I infer/create for them individually. I don't care for "faceless mook" cultists, so I avoid the whole hoods and robes thing (which is not the way Lovecraft depicted culstists anyway, but more of an import from other pulp sources).

Part of it is I find characters more interesting than interchangeable de-facto non-people, but part of it is also specifically to avoid list metagaming. Basically using characterization as a more immersive form of randomization (okay, apparent randomization) than dice rolls.

Obviously this only works if the player creating the characters wants to avoid metagaming. We've all seen those guys who do it the other way 'round: picking their desired stats/traids first, then making up whatever story they have to to justify those.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 09:01:25 PM »
Because this is the happening post- I'll post again!

I own both-

With "Character"

Without "Character"

It's a fascinating question to bring up, when I was talking with a friend last week and he asked me what I may have collected different- my answer was "More Gangsters".

http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/products.asp?cat=583

Reviewing the fiction contained in the book leads me to believe that the Cult of the Black Goat is more in line with organized crime and infiltration of the U.S. Government. Not only that but an organization along these lines would be interested in using occult practice or bargaining with it; while being capable of horrific long term planing. Threshold vs Syndicate could make some truly horrific games. (Imagine a syndicate in the business of smuggling brains to the MiGo and all the implications that come with that! Turn the X-Files dial to 10!)

Not only that, but I feel threshold and syndicate models could easily overlap in a collection- so a purchase like the one above could make for some great gaming when combined with Generic Monsters-

If I had to start from scratch and didn't already own anything- I would grab a Blue Moon Gangster "Mega Pack", some Uncle Mike monsters(fish men or serpent men), pathfinder pre-paints (Elder Things, MiGo) and I would then focus on playing aids and terrain- making sure the terrain and presentation are top notch!

That would give you a range of encounters- ranging from normal to weird fiction- using Ruthless Humans, Bug Aliens and some Well Presented Miniatures!