Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:44:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Newbie question: Warband build  (Read 3972 times)

Offline ChaosChild

• Librarian
Re: Newbie question: Warband build
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2016, 12:30:03 PM »
Personally, I love crossbowmen. I'd take them in preference over archers, the extra damage really makes a big difference. On the other hand, I don't think marksmen are worth the extra gold, I'd prefer to upgrade my melee types to knights or treasure hunters before considering upgrading the crossbows.

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2016, 04:08:40 PM »
Personally, I love crossbowmen. I'd take them in preference over archers, the extra damage really makes a big difference. On the other hand, I don't think marksmen are worth the extra gold, I'd prefer to upgrade my melee types to knights or treasure hunters before considering upgrading the crossbows.

+1 Shoot, +1 Armor, +1Wil, +2 Health is a decent boost and definitely worth it to me...though I tend to just skip crossbowmen entirely and go with marksmen to begin with.

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
  • Rolling 1s so you don't have to since '95
    • Home of the ARBBL
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2016, 04:39:06 PM »
I take crossbows as I prefer quantity over quality in a starting warband, though long-term I would upgrade them to marksmen.
Home of the ARBBL
"I survived the 525"

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2016, 11:41:58 PM »

I'm the same, I much prefer the added damage of crossbows over bows. It is slightly complicated by the restriction on reloading, but with some clever planning this restriction can be worked with.

I find that the stronger melee characters are much more beneficial to a warband than the Marksman.

Offline dragonwagon

• Assistant
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2016, 06:16:33 AM »
I just bough the hard bund book and am looking forward to a few games soon.   So what is the starting gold for you average skirmish and what are some good introductory wizards to use?  I plan on playing a necromancer versus a summoner at first, is that a good mix??  What is a good limit for a 3 way fight?  Sorry for the goofy questions as Im a complete noob at skirmish fantasy!
L\'Audace!  Tojours l\'audace!!

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2016, 12:16:41 PM »
Well starting warbands are 500gc though more like 300gc after buying your 200gc apprentice (very strongly recommended)

I'd suggest getting one or two decent guys or a captain then filling with thieves/thugs/warhounds for the first battle and upgrading ASAP when gold becomes available.

The school of magic dosen't matter as much as how you want to play.

If you wanna hurl bolts of destruction at your foes go elementalist

If you wanna summon demons(or angels or whatever) go summoner.

If you wanna go all nature vibe brewing potions and run with the animals go witch.

It really just depends on what ppl want to do and what's fun for them.