Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:30:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Proper seating position when modelling/painting  (Read 1662 times)

Offline Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
Proper seating position when modelling/painting
« on: February 15, 2016, 08:29:24 PM »
Hiho,

I was wondering if anyone here has some advise for how to best position yourself while modelling or painting.

I have always problems with my back after a prolonged session, mainly because I need to hunch over slightly to get a steady grip, do detailing work etc.

What strategies do you employ for comfortable hobby activities?

I could think of getting a better chair (maybe on of those 'kneeling' chairs, any experiences with those?), using a magnifying glass (but that won't help with the right angle in some cases) or stretching brakes every half hour or so.

Any other ideas? Did someone have similar issues and found the perfect solution?

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
Re: Proper seating position when modelling/painting
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 08:59:46 PM »
The secret is don't overdo it. Whatever position you sit in your shoulders will invariably be hunched and, because you are holding things in one hand and painting with the other, they'll be inclined inwards. This isn't a very natural posture. But there's little you can do about that.

I use an angle poise with a large magnifier and a decent "arc". That means I can pull it forward and sit back in my chair. At least it means you can sit back rather than bent forward, which I find helps me at least, and I have a slipped disc.

Plenty breaks, flick thru a mag or source book, have a cuppa or a glass. That ought to help.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 09:03:33 PM »
It sounds like your chair needs to be a bit lower.

For keyboard work, you want a fairly high chair, so that your elbows are just above the height of the desk, so your hands hang above the keyboard, and you want your screen up, so that you can sit straight. But this really isn't what is right for painting or modelling. But most of us have our desks setup that way - partly because most desks are now sold for computer setups.

Try lowering your chair so your elbows are just below the desk, then you can rest your forearms on the desk - which helps brace things. If your chair won't move try putting a box in front of you to rest your forearms on.

I tried a friends kneeling chair many years ago - it confused me. The idea of them is that they stop you hunching over, as its really hard to do so - but you may just end up too high for modelling activities.

Sitting still for any length of time isn't great. Getting up and walking around is good, even if your posture is good.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 09:17:10 PM »
Frequent breaks, never stay sat working for hours - bound to cause problems, same as if you are doing computer work - take a break every 45 minutes or halfhour, focus yours eyes on something else, go do something else.

I have a chair with no wheels and solid arm rests that I can put my elbows on while working easily, they are not to low/high.

I am short sited so, focusing on close up small stuff is a doddle for me but still,

have a set of these for if/when I need them.

https://www.fasttech.com/product/1936401-9892e-head-wearing-elastic-band-magnifier-w-led

Got mine from Amazon UK I think but cannot find them there now.

But above all best seating position is what is comfortable for you. But like anything - in moderation - don't over do it.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 10:38:20 PM »
I got one of those kneeling chairs and it was torture. They may work for you, but they certainly didn't for me.

I made my own desk a while back from a big piece of mdf and spent some time sitting down and measuring where my elbows would go, etc.. I sit bolt upright in an ordinary dining chair, with my elbows on the desk (I cut out a concave scoopy bit for my body to go) and have a pad for my right elbow to sit on (it's just furniture foam in a bubble wrap envelope). I will naturally crane my head forward a little when painting, but not much and I get a lot less back pain now.

My adjustable spotlights are on arms and positioned to go over each shoulder, pointing forwards towards the model I'm holding. This helps with eye strain.

But yeah, as already pointed out, regular breaks are also good.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Online traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 06:50:17 AM »
The best solution I have used is to have a desk that you adjust the height to a standing position. IKEA have motor-driven desks for the equivalent of €3-400. Shifting between sitting and standing (or more leaning) does wonders for my back. If you add a few stretching excersises to that you should be perfectly ok  ;)

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 09:45:38 AM »
I paint at a kitchen worktop but with a normal chair.  It means the figures are at a higher level than a normal table or desk so no hunching over. 

Offline Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 10:11:43 PM »
Thank you for your suggestions. I think I definitly have to have more breaks. I often get in the zone and work hours on end on something. I do like the idea of a standing or in general higher table. That might work for me.