Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:48:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Peter Dennis Paper Soldiers  (Read 8104 times)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Peter Dennis Paper Soldiers
« on: February 18, 2016, 10:40:55 PM »

Anyone else seen this?

I understand that a WoTR and a Roman one will appear later.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline henerius

• Bookworm
Re: Peter Dennis Paper Soldiers
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 10:06:47 AM »
 :) yes seen it, but not really a lead adventure to me. I really like 3d 2d is so 20th century   ;)

For starters it might be an option though, while the lead and plastic pile is growing  ???

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 02:33:47 PM »
I think the paper soldiers look great and  a good idea for beginners.
, ,

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 03:11:50 PM »
Well, the 4 books and the WI ones will allow you to play Romans v Britons, Normans v Saxons, WotR, ECW and the '45.  I am sure that if these do well then others will appear.....

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 04:17:07 PM »
If its cheap and good ruleset etc, I would think it an excellent way to get people involved with the hobby.

Then they can start collecting for the mountain as they get deeper into it.

Offline John Grant

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 05:54:32 PM »
Have seen the figures and read a draft of the rules, both seem to be of high quality. Am looking forward to getting a copy of the ECW book as I don't have the figures and really haven't got the "umph" to paint another set.
J

Offline Genialjim

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 07:24:57 PM »
Where are the details of the other books to be found?

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 07:38:36 PM »
Peter Dennis' Facebook Page

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 05:57:46 PM »
Don't know if this is the right board as we have three topics about Peter Dennis' Paper Soldiers, so I hope you won't mind. Just recently I was reading a new blog entry about those on Frank Becker's fantastic webpage and, as weather was quite hot and I didn't really want to get brushes and paints out, I downloaded the two free sheets from the Wargames Illustrated site to give it a try.

I was instantly hooked! As kind of change from painting figs, it was a joy to follow Peter Dennis' very nice Youtube video and got things rolling. About six hours later I have 68 new figures and could print as much as I would like. Instead I ordered the ECW book ...  :D

I changed some minor things from Peter's advice as it's more conveniend for my work approach. First I printed the sheets on 110gr matt photo paper. This is slightly more than Peter recommends, but you'll get more sturdy figures. Second, I don't use scissors at all to cut the paper, but a sharp scalpel on a cutting mat. For me, that's much faster and you won't kink the tiny figure parts. And third, I used Coat d'arms Japanese Uniform acrylics to paint the sides of the bases and retouch any glue stains.

As I said: really much fun!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 06:14:05 PM »
They look good. I've got the ECW book and like the look of the figures - but haven't actually tried copying any and making them.

I'd actually quite like them as a PDF then it would be easier to scale down the figures - I mainly game in 10mm, and this would be a good way to add stuff to existing projects, or try new periods.

The rules look pretty good - a reasonable level of detail, and cover morale as well as combat and movement.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 09:08:25 AM »
Interesting stuff, I have had a look before but never done anything but sorely tempted to try the ECW one. :)

Offline clibinarium

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 10:59:09 AM »

I'd actually quite like them as a PDF then it would be easier to scale down the figures - I mainly game in 10mm, and this would be a good way to add stuff to existing projects, or try new periods.

I've been experimenting with my own paper soldiers on this model, and once you begin to shrink them they start to become more fragile and difficult to cut out. Even in 15mm the weapons are very slight. Of course you can get round this by altering the drawings (so that the weapons don't protrude) but then they begin to look more like what they are; a strip of paper, rather than the illusion of miniatures you're trying to get. On the plus side in 28mm you can pack them much more densely than you could actual miniatures.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 12:42:16 PM »
Interesting point. I wonder if it is because the upper bodies and arms and heads are cut out, that you get far more of a 3D appearance to the block of troops.

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 02:38:53 PM »
I was given the ECW book as a gift. It's not really my thing but i do think they look great. Ideal for getting kids into gaming imo as they have can help build the units.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 07:08:42 PM »
They are strangely impressive. I'd have absolutely adored these when I was a kid...