Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:57:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A 15mm alien I'm working on - New pics added 3/6/16  (Read 3669 times)

Offline WulfsheadeMiniatures

• Assistant
A 15mm alien I'm working on - New pics added 3/6/16
« on: February 20, 2016, 04:55:17 AM »
I've been working on another 15mm alien race for a future KS, this one is inspired by the Prometheans form Halo.

The large and small arms are separate and will have multiple options for different troop types. I've also been working on some head options as well.

The model next to it for scale is one of Clearhorizon's Helldiver models.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 02:58:49 AM by WulfsheadeMiniatures »

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: A 15mm alien I'm working on
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 07:25:20 AM »
Very good  ;)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 06:17:21 PM »
I've been working on another 15mm alien race for a future KS, this one is inspired by the Prometheans form Halo.

The large and small arms are separate and will have multiple options for different troop types. I've also been working on some head options as well.

The model next to it for scale is one of Clearhorizon's Helldiver models.

I think I would prefer the aesthetic if both sets of arms were of a similar length. Otherwise,I like it.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 06:23:43 PM »
I've voiced my (frankly negative) opinions on your mechs here before, but darn man, this looks seriously awesome!
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 06:40:38 PM »
I've voiced my (frankly negative) opinions on your mechs here before, but darn man, this looks seriously awesome!

Well, I've only posted on here twice since Friday.

The mechs for my Kickstarter are based off the style of Kow Yokoyama, Makoto Kobayashi, Kazuhisa Kondo and the Ma.K universe. They are supposed to look more rounded and organic.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 06:50:08 PM »
I actually made a post concerning your kickstarter before that: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=87323.0 And I apreciate the style your going for, I really like it. But the pictures of the mechs I have seen so far really don't capture it for me, which is a shame, since a quick google search more then reveals you are a sculptor more then capable of doing great sculpts, like this alien. I don't know, maybe its just that the style of sculpting doest capture well in pictures, but they look somewhat crude and featureless to me rather then elegant and smooth.  :?

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 07:21:29 PM »
I actually made a post concerning your kickstarter before that: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=87323.0 And I apreciate the style your going for, I really like it. But the pictures of the mechs I have seen so far really don't capture it for me, which is a shame, since a quick google search more then reveals you are a sculptor more then capable of doing great sculpts, like this alien. I don't know, maybe its just that the style of sculpting doest capture well in pictures, but they look somewhat crude and featureless to me rather then elegant and smooth.  :?

The models are based off a specific style, I'm not sure if you are familiar with the Ma.K universe and the designers I mentioned.

Yes, I can make far more detailed models, but that's not the look I was going for with these.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 07:41:30 PM »
I am familiar with all of them.

Look, I don't feel like I should be be giving unsolicited criticism on your work. You are a pro in the industry and I'm probably just missing something. Partially I'm sure the fact that complex curves don't photograph great in the best of circumstances doesn't help. I run into the same problem with computer renders, and I'm sure there are compound curves in your sculpts that really don't show in the pictures. However there are also some features and details that just look sub par to me. Like I said I don't really feel comfortable berating a list of detail in your work so I'll just give an example. The dual missile launchers on the heavy mech, on say a Ma.K universe these would probably have some panel lining to break up the flat surfaces. What's more tough the missiles themselves frankly look like little more then blobs of greenstuff. Much the same with the forward sensors on the artillery mech.

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 07:51:36 PM »
I don't mind any criticism at all, I wouldn't be very good at my job if I couldn't handle other people's opinions!

I understand having painted samples helps a lot, but I don't have the funds to have the molds and castings made, that's why I'm using KS. I wish I had, but sometimes you have to make do with what you have.

The next set of models I'm working on, if this KS funds, I'll then have funds to be able to get molds made before hand so I can have better pics.

As far as the details, part of the Ma.K hobby is modifying models with your own details. That's one reason I didn't overdo the details, I want people to convert them and make them their own.

I totally understand what you are saying and I don't mind any criticisms at all (good or bad), so if you have suggestions please feel free to voice them.

It's always possible for me to make changes to the models during the KS as well, which is also one reason I didn't want to spend money on having molds and painted models made, in case I made changes to them.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 09:03:00 PM »
Not familiar with Halo, but the arms look weird... he looks like he's piggybacking someone with no legs (or head).
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Shaved Dwarf

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 10:49:35 PM »
I'm not familiar with Halo, too, but I like your model very much. I'd buy a few of them.

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 11:52:34 PM »
Alien sculpts aren't for everyone. It's something I've noticed in wargaming that "human" models tend to sell better.

Sure there are some exceptions like the Tyranids, but overall when I see alien races being created they are almost all "humanoid" in shape. The variations tend to be left to either an "animal-like" head and "digitigrade legs".

I'm trying to create something more alien-looking that isn't like other alien models I've seen so far.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 04:38:37 AM »
I hear that! I like the hexapodal look - reminding me just a bit of an alien queen, but smaller and less bitey. I don't think I'm ready to leap into 15mm sci fi just yet, but this'll make me keep an eye on Wulfsheade.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 08:56:40 AM »
Wow, a really nice sculpt! Im looking forward to seeing more thereof!

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 02:58:14 AM »
Did some more work on these guys over the week.

I made an alternate head, staff weapon, dual las-cannons and missile launcher. The missile launcher is 2 pods, one on each side.

I'll probably make a few more optional heads. I also need to come up with some more weapon ideas as well.