Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:41:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690932
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tables!  (Read 6729 times)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Tables!
« on: March 08, 2016, 10:05:26 PM »
What do you guys all use for wargame tables? I'm talking about the actual tables, not the surfaces or boards on top.

I need some ideas....

I have limited space in my flat, but still I do have enough room to set up a 6' by 4' board, potentially bigger, as long as it can be all folded away and stored neatly. So I convert my living room into a wargames room for one day when it's time to play a game.

I'm going to be using three 2' by 4' boards, and need a good solid table to place them on. Preferably with a bigger surface area than the boards, so there is room for bits and pieces and no unfortunate board-flipping accidents.

I have a drop-leaf table which is almost but not quite big enough. If it was, I could just slide the sofa against one wall, bring that out into the middle at full size, and the perfect space is made!
The other day I picked up another drop-leaf table which is slightly bigger, for £5 from a charity shop. I could put them both end-to-end and take all the boards nicely, but it's not ideal.

What would be ideal is the same sort of drop-leaf table which opens to, say, 5' by 7'. I could just keep browsing charity shops until one pops up....

Another option is a pair of folding 'banquet tables', like so....

They seem to be about 2.5' wide, and come in both 6' and 8' length. So two of them side by side will be the perfect space. But it will be pricey!!!

My carpentry skills aren't really up to making something myself.

What do you guys all do? Bear in mind I don't have access to any great big dining tables, I want something that will take a 6 by 4 board with extra space all round, and potential to take a longer or wider set-up, and something that will fold up and can be stored....

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Tables!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 10:30:06 PM »
Yep. Banqueting type tables  :)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 10:55:07 PM »
The folding banquet tables get sold in Aldi most summers as barbecue tables.
Or street party tables if there's a special occasion.
Usually about £25 (from memory).

You could also consider wallpaper tables (but some of those are really flimsy)
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 11:31:50 PM »
I have two tables in my game room currently. One is a single plastic "banquet" table with a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" OSB on top. A couple of chunks of 2x4 on the underside of the OSB hold it in place. It was a temporary choice but has held up for six or seven years without any tipping problems so I haven't upgraded.

The other table is 4'x4' made of slot wall sides, a 2x4 frame, and plywood top and doubles as a cabinet. The important thing is it is 42" high which works better for games like Infinity where both players are constantly involved so there is no sitting while the other fellow does his turn.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 12:20:38 AM »
I got a couple of these, but I'll probably replace them with those folding banqueting tables at some point. They've a few of them at work, and they're much sturdier. You can actually lean on 'em!

Edit: forgot you need extra 'U' tags for a link, here!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 09:25:06 AM by Vermis »

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 05:37:22 AM »
I use two 6mm MDF panels of 150 x 100 cm to lay on my diner table which can provide me with a 150 x 200 table.

One side is painted in sandy structure (desert) and the other one in green (grass). They have served me for 15+ years so far.
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 12:46:17 PM »
My dining table is 3ft x 4ft 10" which I extend by using 6 TSS 2ft x 2ft polystyrene tiles covered with a gaming mat.

They are great as they are so light and it is also handy for planning and doing table maps as they give you a regular 6ft x 4ft table size.

http://totalsystemscenic.com/product-category/modular-tiles-2-square/

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 02:18:42 PM »
I use IKEA - they have a table top that is 3x4, the legs screw out for easy storage, and they're dirt cheap. In the office area of the store. Various sizes available. I think my painting table might be 2x4.

You could feasibly hinge-attach a couple together as well.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 03:32:52 PM »
We have five Ikea tables that are 120cm x60cm, which is about 4ft x 2ft.

This is the current version - LINNMON / ADILS.  The white version with white legs is only £22 complete. 
We have older ones that are similar.
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S49929639/#/S49929639

We use one as a desk, one as a painting table and I have three that can be set up to give me a wargaming table 180cm x 120 cm (i.e. 6ft x 4ft)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 03:36:47 PM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 04:58:12 PM »
Thanks for all the ideas guys!

I think perhaps it will be worth my while to spend a bit more and get some good quality folding tables, rather than prowling charity shops for the elusive 'perfect' drop leaf table which probably doesn't exist.

Got a few options from Ikea bookmarked...

Three of either of these options would cost me £90, and will give me about 7ft by 5ft, perfect for a 6x4 board with extra space all round, and if spaced out could accommodate a longer board.

Alternatively, two of these would cost £72.50 and would give me just over 6 feet long and just under 4 feet wide, if a little gap is put between them they could take a 4ft wide board with space at the edges.

Decisions....

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 05:08:36 PM »
We recently moved and now have a large enough dining room table. Before this I lived in a small flat and went for the budget option- 2 6ft x 2ft pasting tables from Home base.  Worked decently enough and when they weren't needed I just folded them up and put them in a cupboard. I think they cost a tenner each.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 06:49:58 PM »
We recently moved and now have a large enough dining room table. Before this I lived in a small flat and went for the budget option- 2 6ft x 2ft pasting tables from Home base.  Worked decently enough and when they weren't needed I just folded them up and put them in a cupboard. I think they cost a tenner each.

Were they good and sturdy? I found a few such pasting tables, but thought they looked a bit flimsy compared to the ones I just posted.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2016, 10:33:15 PM »
I have two folding tables:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-6-ft-Folding-Resin-Timberwolf-Grey-Table-3072FX/204859693

They're the "pricier" of the folding tables, but they lock up solid - two of them give me a 6'x5' essentially and they fold and clip together nicely (even have a heavy duty strap which sticks out the sides allowing you to carry them).  They have a lock to open them...as all tables they fold aaaaalmost perfectly flat.  You still get a crease (easier when using heavy gaming mats though).  Best part is they fit perfectly the back of my car (Golf).

It's the best solution I've found yet.  There are cheaper versions but the $40-50 ones are worth it for the convenience and added stability.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2016, 03:55:01 AM »
If you have a tabletop you like, you can buy sets of folding legs in varying heights.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 05:42:55 PM »
If you know anyone doing home renovations see about getting your hands on some used folding closet doors. They're very sturdy, fairly light and each panel is about 1'x7'.  They come hinged together in pairs, so 4 panels gets you a two piece table that comes to 4x7.  You could easily  put them on a pair of sawhorses or bolt them to a pair of 2x4's and add legs.  However, I keep each pair separate, wrapped in old sheets and leaning in the corner of the porch. I just put two 4 foot pieces of 2x4 over my kitchen table and put the two hinged sections over that.