Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:16:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Anatolis Frostgrave campaign (game 3 2/5)  (Read 2420 times)

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Anatolis Frostgrave campaign (game 3 2/5)
« on: April 22, 2016, 06:30:32 PM »
As Caroline became interested in Frostgrave a while back I painted up a second warband and wizard couple for her to play. We recently played a test/learn the rules and then proceeded to play a regular game. In both instances we used the "genie in the bottle" scenario since I had recently painted up the superb Genie and lamp miniature from North Star.

I was playing my Witch along with his apprentice, Caroline opted for the Illusionist. Initially she was not happy with the lack of offensive spells that she had picked but realized she will have to play her wizard in another way - and I told her that she will be able to learn new spells in the future.

She enjoyed the game a lot, so I think there will be more  Frostgrave games between us in the future. The scenario ended with my warband being able to snatch the lamp - with a bit of effort and having to sacrifice one soldier to distract the genie as I was summoning fog screens.

Check out my blog for more pictures:

http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/2016/04/frostgrave-starting-campaign.html

« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 02:43:53 PM by Anatoli »

Offline Plus Four

• Librarian
Re: Anatolis Frostgrave campaign
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 10:06:07 AM »
Tell Caroline not to worry about it - my 2 favourite schools are Witch & Illusionist and both do very well without offensive spells!

In my group we play on very congested boards so line of sight is limited - this has effectively resulted in a reduction in the number of archers being fielded and +3 fight infantrymen are the soldier of choice! Spell wise every wizard usually totes Telekinesis & Leap which have proven to be the outstanding spells for grabbing and keeping treasure!!

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Anatolis Frostgrave campaign (game 2 27/4)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 05:19:00 PM »
Second game in our ongoing Frostgrave campaign, we played the "Silent tower" scenario, which has a magic negating structure in the middle of the board where no magic works. This also means that you can't use magic against units inside that building, and you cannot use magic to enter it either.
Entering the tower with a wizard granted a nice experience reward, and the treasure inside the building counted as 3 rolls on the treasure chart after the game - so a most valuable prize to fight for!

The fight was more bloody than usual due to a lot of spellcasting failures and magic limitations of the Silent Tower itself.

Check out the full AAR over at my blog:
http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/2016/04/frostgrave-silent-tower-aar.html

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Anatolis Frostgrave campaign (game 2 27/4)
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 02:43:39 PM »
Third game in our ongoing campaign was the scenario "Worm hunts" which starts out as a regular search for treasures on a generic board but with each treasure picked up the chance of a giant man-eating worm appearing from below increases (sort of like in
the movie Tremors)!
I'm currently painting a huge worm at the moment (the model from Mansions of Madness boardgame) but in this game I used one of my smaller Lovecraft-collection monsters.

The Illusionist warband in this fight
Wizard Silas
Apprentice Ronya
2x Men-at-arms
1 Thief
1 Infantryman
1 Bowman
1 Crossbowman

The Witch Warband for this fight:

Wizard Saric
Apprentice Frid
2x Men-at-arms
1 Templar
1 Thief
1 Bowman
1 Crossbowman

Compared to the last fight both wizards were a bit more fortunate with their spellcasting and used it to aid their troops in the search of lost treasure.

Check my blog for the full AAR

http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/2016/05/frostgrave-worm-hunts-aar.html

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
Re: Anatolis Frostgrave campaign (game 3 2/5)
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 05:43:16 PM »
Wow, it all looks splendid. I'll save your blog to check it out from time to time.

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
Re: Anatolis Frostgrave campaign (game 3 2/5)
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 03:57:25 AM »
Cool.