Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:22:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: GoT Greyjoy project, Men at arms painted, plus Victarion.  (Read 14393 times)

Offline dbsubashi

• Scientist
Re: GoT Greyjoy project help. (no pics...yet).
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2016, 09:48:14 AM »
Oh, I like to have some extra units to try things out. The bowmen will sit it out for a while why I try out all those Fierce Foot. My Lannister army is a mixed bag of units with a little of everything. But it allows me to do anything on the table with something...

The challenge of lots of wild charging low Armor units will be a challenge I am looking forward to. And they will look great charging off of Barrage Miniatures long boats!

Offline dbsubashi

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2016, 09:49:47 AM »
Victarion Greyjoy sported a helmet fashioned/decorated like a kraken, as well as a 'fingered' cloak that looked like tentacles of a squid. I was going to use a suitably modified GW High or Dark Elf helm...

Dang you! Now I have to make this!

Offline Jockjay

• Librarian
  • 'reet.
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2016, 10:08:54 AM »
My fierce infantry will be we wearing lots of armour. just not on their stats lol. Will probably use Perry foot knights. Just love the (cheapness of the) models!

Hmmm not very ironborn in my opinion though. Will Keep looking.

Ok FINAL (ish) DECISION!!! going for two boxes of Agincourt french inf. They have by far the best variety of weapons, not too much armour (12 knights get me my 2x Foot Men at arms)

Also 84 models for £40 is an excellent deal and will give me lots of options for changing my army about.

....Now if I could only get some gripping beast heads separate from the sprues.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 10:43:59 AM by Jockjay »

Offline dbsubashi

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2016, 11:14:07 AM »
Those French are actually a great choice. If I had to do it again, I would make the same choice. They have everything, pole arms, Knights, jupons just waiting for heraldry, crossbows, all those quirky helms, and plenty of war hats. I used the body of knight and a great ax (where oh where were those on the WOTR figs?!?) for my Lyle Crakehall in the round 8 challenge. I am saving the rest for those pesky Northerners...or maybe the Plumm brothers.

Offline Jockjay

• Librarian
  • 'reet.
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2016, 11:25:10 AM »
I already have a box for Frostgrave and they really do tick a lot of boxes, my last count had them at 4 crossbows, 4 spears/ cut down lances, 3 swords and 3 great axe/ bardiche things. And that's not including the weapons from the knights sprue.

Distinct lack of 'proper' shields though. 2 pavise  per sprue and 4 bucklers.

I want round shields for my northmen.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2016, 06:14:44 PM »
Sounds like a good idea.

Might I suggest you grab one of the Agincourt archer sprues to go with your french set - the Perry website sells it individually. Will give you 6 new bodies to choose from, and obviously longbows with accessories.

Also if you have a look around ebay you will find most other sprues available, to give you more options.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2016, 06:15:25 PM »
Sounds like a good idea.

Might I suggest you grab one of the Agincourt archer sprues to go with your french set - the Perry website sells it individually. Will give you 6 new bodies to choose from, and obviously longbows with accessories.

They also sell the WOTR mercenaries command sprue individually - this will give you 6 polearm heads to convert the french spears with, plus 2 bodies and a variety of other pieces.

Also if you have a look around ebay you will find most other sprues available, to give you more options.

Offline Jockjay

• Librarian
  • 'reet.
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2016, 08:37:46 AM »
Good shout charlie.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2016, 10:26:30 AM »
If you want round shields for your Northmen (my Starks also have them) you can buy a plastic weapons sprue from Conquest Miniatures that has plenty (plus a load of other useful stuff).
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Jockjay

• Librarian
  • 'reet.
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2016, 01:56:17 PM »
Will have a peek, models, green stuff and bases ordered! boom!

edit: did you mean conquest games? Conquest miniatures is native american stuff?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 01:58:46 PM by Jockjay »

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2016, 04:10:49 PM »
Ooops. My bad.

Yes Conquest Games

http://www.conquest-games.co.uk/index.php?cPath=22_23_25

As well as the round shields and hands with drawn swords (of which the Perry kits are short when it comes to GoT) the kite shields can be cut down to make small heater shields, which I did for my Boltons

Offline Jockjay

• Librarian
  • 'reet.
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2016, 08:27:05 AM »
Those are dead good mate!

I actually found shields and some axes and swords on the gripping beast accessories bit:

http://www.grippingbeast.co.uk/Other_Products/Figure_Accessories.html

£2 for 12 shields etc.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 08:48:04 AM by Jockjay »

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2016, 12:56:47 PM »
Those are dead good mate!

I actually found shields and some axes and swords on the gripping beast accessories bit:

http://www.grippingbeast.co.uk/Other_Products/Figure_Accessories.html

£2 for 12 shields etc.

I too have some of these, they are perhaps slightly large compared to the finely detailed Perry sculpts and you'll need to purchase if not already done so, a model drill for surprise, surprise to drill out the hands so you can slot the axes in. I done it on one of my models, patience and a steady hand are key  ;)
COMMISIONS OPEN - I CUSTOM KITBASH YOUR MODELS. 40K, STARGRAVE, NECROMUNDA, AoS; FORBIDDEN PSALM

https://withkoji.com/@IsItSheerMadness

Offline Jockjay

• Librarian
  • 'reet.
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2016, 01:35:06 PM »
I have a pin vice so pretty ready for that pain in the pinky toes. Seen your leader with axe, he is pretty mega!

May I ask what size drill bit you used? your fit look snug and has not mangled any fingers,

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2016, 09:17:20 PM »
I have a pin vice so pretty ready for that pain in the pinky toes. Seen your leader with axe, he is pretty mega!

May I ask what size drill bit you used? your fit look snug and has not mangled any fingers,

Hi Jay

Not sure of the size, but I have a model drill from Army Painter and I first used the smallest bit perhaps it 0'5mm? And then I re drilled the hole very slowly with the next size up.

Looking forward to seeing your models soon :-)