Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:23:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691081
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 20mm SF wants?  (Read 7458 times)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: 20mm SF wants?
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2016, 09:22:52 AM »
Also, post apocalypse stuff that fits with hotwheels and matchbox cars!
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Khurasan Miniatures

• Mastermind
  • Miniature manufacturer to the stars
    • Khurasan Miniatures
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2016, 04:28:33 PM »
Hot wheels is 1/87th scale IIRC.  20mm is 1/72 scale.

Khurasan Miniatures

Like us on Facebook for updates:
http://www.facebook.com/khurasanminiatures

Offline Jerekin

• Assistant
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2016, 05:14:42 PM »
Hey,
1/87 is H0 aka that popular model railway scale. Some people use the buildings for Flames of War. The chunkiness of the 15mm sculpts and the added height of the bases make them quite compatible.

Most Hot Wheels are kept in the Matchbox 1:64 scale. (Trucks, large military and such from the same price band are 1:87 though, small jeeps tend to be 1:58, medium size military ist often 1/70 (Humvees and that Australian SAS thingie))

What goes for the combination of the the H0 1:87 Buildings with the 15s, goes as well for the 1:64 Stuff and 20mm. Most minis, even the 1/72s are that chunky, that they are more on the 1:64 side width wise. And with the additional height of the bases it looks rather "correct". Take a look over at the PostApoc board and you know what I mean.^^

(That's probably the reason why many people think Warlord's 1:56s look awkward.
I'd really love to see someone to introduce 1:52 as the True 28mm companion and less 1/56.)

That was much off-topic, but that's leads to why I'd like to see some Minis in 20mm in low tech scifi look suitable for PostApoc motorized gangs so I can combine them with my diecasts, just like YPU. Most sculpts are outdated.

Best for me would be if they are combineable with Vepa and Under Fire Miniatures. i.e. a more modern sculpting approach (proportion wise). Makes them more convincing with the diecasts and such imo.

Another Idea I like are some minis with a more near future vibe. Something like White Dragon Miniatures but with real world forces, just mid to late current century tech.

But you probably want to do more distant "real" SciFi anyway, I guess. My bad. I did'nt read properly before writing.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 10:07:50 PM by Jerekin »

Offline Umpapa

• Assistant
    • My blog: http://umpapas.blogspot.com/
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2016, 05:33:58 PM »
First of all: finally! :)

20 mm/1:72 sci-fi has the same advantage as 20 mm/1:72 pulp:
http://umpapas.blogspot.com/2015/12/172-20-mm-pulp-weird-world-war-2.html

I think Your most selling product Jon are Felids. Kilrathi. Kzins. At least You Felids was what draw me into 15 mm sf. And I think those Felids could sell really well in 20 mm, if developed as slightly larger then typical 1:72 humans (say 24 mm?). I have whole army of Khurasan felids in 15 mm, even so I would buy a 20 mm platoon of Felids.

We do not need in 20 mm Not-Precisely-Aliens or Absolutely-Not-Predators mm as we already have them:
http://umpapas.blogspot.com/2014/11/20-mm-172-non-predator.html
http://umpapas.blogspot.com/2014/01/15-mm-20-mm-aliens-obcy.html
I should post evening more photos of those painted.

Here is my list of all possible figures for 20 mm sci-fi. Some are already produced by Khurasan as 15 mm , buts uits 20 mm as well (like  Ti-Monids or Soriog):
http://www.strategie.net.pl/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=12999

P.S.: I really would love if You Jon would create 20 mm pulp figures, but that is beyond dreams. ;)

Online DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2016, 09:17:30 PM »
Also, post apocalypse stuff that fits with hotwheels and matchbox cars!

I second this. Hotwheels, Matchbox et al. dont habe a fixed scale, there are some cars which even work with 15mm, but Id say a large part of the cars looks pretty good next to 20mm models, hence the high ebay prices for the still best 20mm minis ever made: GW's Dark Future.

So here could be indeed also a way to sell models!

Online DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2016, 09:21:10 PM »

That was much off-topic, but that's leads to why I'd like to see some Minis in 20mm in low tech scifi look suitable for PostApoc motorized gangs so I can combine them with my diecasts, just like YPU. Most sculpts are outdated.

Best for me would be if they are combineable with Vepa and Under Fire Miniatures. i.e. a more modern sculpting approach (proportion wise). Makes them more convincing with the diecasts and such imo.

Another Idea I like are some minis with a more near future vibe. Something like White Dragon Miniatures but with real world forces, just mid to late current century tech.

But you probably want to do more distant "real" SciFi anyway, I guess. My bad. I did'nt read properly before writing.

Well that's pretty much compatible with what I meant when I said UFO or gitty 80s SF...

So maybe there's a real market in 20mm for "near future" / cyberpunk / madmax?

For me that would make sense given the cheap possibility for vehicles and terrain!

Offline Umpapa

• Assistant
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 01:02:55 AM by Umpapa »

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2016, 05:25:21 PM »
To be honest, most of those are why I am happy to see Khurasan enter the 20mm field.

I'll add a vote for some future post-apoc stuff, something with a Pig Iron Productions vibe would be super cool, but that's highly influenced by what our group is playing right now... Most everything Khurasan commits to producing looks tasty and tempting.

The idea of encouraging more inventive use of the existing 15mm sci-fi line is smart. Heck, now that my 20mm gaming buddies have moved out of town, I'm looking for inventive ways to repurpose my 20mm WWII terrain and collection!

Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

• Mastermind
    • Khurasan Miniatures
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2016, 07:30:15 PM »
Thanks, yes I think many 15mm offerings are perfect for 20mm but there's a mindset that says, "that's 15mm so not suitable."  Of course that does not apply to humans -- they obviously do not cross over, which is why I'll make some.  

Post-apoc seems to be a popular ask, but I'm thinking more straight sci fi, although there's nothing that says that NF/SF type troopers are completely off limits for that.  In fact, recently a French rules set came out that uses my 28mm Federal Army models as a post-apoc faction.

The aliens I'll be making will be a tall slender tribal race (think Green Men of Mars, but with better tech and fewer arms), and then I may make a high tech opponent for the humans, possibly centauriods that are about a tall as a human in 20mm -- making them perfect for large centauroids in 15mm!  :-)

Offline Umpapa

• Assistant
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2016, 08:50:57 PM »
Jon, please carefully consider investing Your time and money.
There is at least 2 other producers which are at the last stage of producing 20 mm SF:
http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=418023

I suppose modern Greys (UFOs) 20 mm should sell well.

Still I hope for 20 mm Felids. ;)  Go 20 mm Kilrathi, go! :D

« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 08:56:45 PM by Umpapa »

• Mastermind
    • Khurasan Miniatures
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2016, 09:16:33 PM »
Jon, please carefully consider investing Your time and money.

If I did that, I'd invest my money in short term commercial paper.  If you're a miniatures fan, that's the last thing you want to recommend to a manufacturer.  :-D

There is at least 2 other producers which are at the last stage of producing 20 mm SF:

Didn't look at the link, but that's a good thing, not a bad thing.

Still I hope for 20 mm Felids. ;)  

Won't be making those, as I said I'm not going to redo the existing ranges in 20mm.  The new stuff will be unique from the 15mm ranges.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 09:19:25 PM by Khurasan Miniatures »

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2016, 11:46:15 PM »
I think you are right to go that route.  Unique is good.  And, as been said many times - aliens can be deadly no matter what their size.
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de Espańa,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2016, 11:49:39 PM »
As for the link, I think another Traveller like line is good but any really good 20mm line of SF humans will attract the 20mm guys or even 15mm guys who want "Really large" but not "giant" humanoids to fight.

• Mastermind
    • Khurasan Miniatures
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2016, 11:56:20 PM »
I don't think 15mm gamers would use these humans TBH. They might use the centauroids though as a certain herd species of sentient space travelers!

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2016, 07:08:22 PM »

Anything that could be use against "today's human" in an alien invasion of Earth would be nice!

The're already a LOT of figures and hardware available for modern warfare... except, maybe, a few civilian (non-fighting) figures 8)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/