Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:53:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686487
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Jagannath does 6mm Sci-Fi *2nd version of Vac-Suits 5/6/19*  (Read 13483 times)

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Hullo all,

I'm a rare position to contribute today!

I bought the Horizon Wars rules to tinker with 15mm games using stands of troops, but I was really taken with the 'scale' of the game. I love Epic, but no longer own an army and you need a lot of units, more than my attention span can survive. Horizon Wars suits 5-20 elements, which is pretty much perfect to my mind.

So - I ordered a few packs from Brigade's 6mm mercenaries, then some custom bases from Warbasea once the tanks arrived, so I could have nice, consistently sized bases. I'm weird about bases.

(pressed 'Post' too soon, continued in next post)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 05:34:34 PM by Jagannath »

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Re: Jagannath does Horizon Wars *Now with Pics*
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 09:37:20 PM »
(...sorry, pressed 'post' by mistake)

Anyway, I had a few hours spare this afternoon so blasted through these. I'm about 80% through which is unheard of for me in a day - just drybrushing and detailing to do.

It's a pretty large force in Horizon Wars, 21P:

Heavy Cav CHQ,

4 Heavy Cav

3 Light Cav

3 Armed Artillery

But that gives me options for smaller games - I don't really like revisiting a paint scheme, I'm not consistent enough as a painter to make them uniform enough, so this will be a complete for.

Want to work on a Mech force next I reckon....

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 09:49:01 PM »
- oops -
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 09:50:46 PM by Jagannath »

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 09:50:17 PM »
- oops -

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 10:16:34 PM »
Nice work! Are all the miniatures from Brigade?

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 11:29:02 PM »
Nice work! Are all the miniatures from Brigade?

Cheers - yeah, all from the Mercenaries range:

http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/6mmSF/Mercs.html

The size of these is slightly odd, which I liked - the Sohei (my Heavy Cav) is pretty wide, whilst the Shaman is relatively diddy (hence me using it as light cav). Great minis.

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 11:32:49 PM »
Cheers - yeah, all from the Mercenaries range:

http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/6mmSF/Mercs.html

The size of these is slightly odd, which I liked - the Sohei (my Heavy Cav) is pretty wide, whilst the Shaman is relatively diddy (hence me using it as light cav). Great minis.

Thanks for the info. While waiting for my rulebook I'm now shopping for miniatures, your thread will come handy.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 11:39:37 PM »
This is a pretty big force by HW standards - I'm planning on gaming around 15p mostly (5 big mechs, or 5-10 tanks or 10ish infantry plus a couple of support elements... that sort of size).

What sort of force are you planning?

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 11:43:52 PM »
This is a pretty big force by HW standards - I'm planning on gaming around 15p mostly (5 big mechs, or 5-10 tanks or 10ish infantry plus a couple of support elements... that sort of size).

What sort of force are you planning?

Roughly the same 15p. I have some Mechwarrior clicx-mechs that I can use, but I need some infantry and tanks (although I have some historical ones - mainly Leopard 2s and Challengers - that I can use in a pinch). But I really need to see the book first. Bookdepository sent it last Friday, keeping my fingers crossed for it to arrive during next week. Right now, the only info I have is from the FB page and from the videos on Youtube.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 11:51:24 PM »
2 or 3 Big mechs'll give you 6/9P, so you're a good chunk of the way there with those.

I'm going to make a small mech/giant power armour force next using these (but still in 6mm, so about 15 foot tall):

I think each one will count as a stand of heavy infantry instead of using the mech rules - not sure yet though.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 12:50:14 PM »
Roughly the same 15p. I have some Mechwarrior clicx-mechs that I can use, but I need some infantry and tanks (although I have some historical ones - mainly Leopard 2s and Challengers - that I can use in a pinch). But I really need to see the book first. Bookdepository sent it last Friday, keeping my fingers crossed for it to arrive during next week. Right now, the only info I have is from the FB page and from the videos on Youtube.

Good to hear your joining the fun, HW really feels like the kind of game the LAF veterans would like.

I am planning almost exactly the same order as that right now, Jagannath though I'm planning to also get their new polish infantry and some of the jeeps to make mobile infantry stands.

3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Re: Jagannath does 6mm Horizon Wars *Now with Pics*
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 10:35:49 AM »
Hi All,

Bit more of an update:

Finished and had the chance to dullcote my 21P first force, Scuse the phone pictures and my fairly crummy 'desert' board:

Can't see it well but I tried a bit of weathering on these - not perfect but I like the dusty look (not sure it photographs well)

That's my command tank CHQ with the small radar dish.

Next force is a power armour and hover tank force with 2 p1 mechs

Hoping to get them done this long weekend then play a game - try out my new Kallistra mountains too.

C&C always welcome.

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
    • Bloggity-Blog-Blog / "The Zone"
Re: Jagannath does 6mm Horizon Wars *Update with Pics 27/5*
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2016, 10:10:57 AM »
Those really are very nice. Always loved those miniatures from Brigade. Really must pick myself up some at some point.

How did you go about doing the bases? They're really rather nice.

MM.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2016, 01:01:20 PM »
Those really are very nice. Always loved those miniatures from Brigade. Really must pick myself up some at some point.

How did you go about doing the bases? They're really rather nice.

MM.

Thanks - they're 2mm 'Flames of War' style from Warbases. I get the models first then work of some base sizes to match. I also drill a magnet hole for storage.

I base with GW agrellan Earth crackle effect in parts then smear generally with Vallejo black earth (I think the best grit size for this) and then paint, wash (with 'blotchy' washes) and drybrush. It works quite well for this basing style.

These are my fav 6mm tanks I think - the sizes are a bit odd though. The 'Normal' MBTs are pretty small (I'm using them here as light tanks) and the heavy tanks are quite big, but maybe not as massive as you might want a heavy tank. I love them though - got another batch to go with some infantry for a seperate force at some point.

Offline The Travelling Man

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2016, 02:12:26 AM »
Lovely models and great bases- thanks for the tips