Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:34:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Jagannath does 6mm Sci-Fi *2nd version of Vac-Suits 5/6/19*  (Read 13484 times)

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Re: Jagannath does 6mm Horizon Wars *Update with Pics 27/5*
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2016, 04:36:38 PM »
A bit more WIP of my next force - trying to plow through before an imminent house move.

Need to do the engine blocks, the lights (little OSL on these) and a few more sci-fi style markings, then I'll weather them. Couple more hours I reckon. Highlights aren't as flat as they look in the pics.

Couldn't get rid of the mould lines on the vents, so hoping to better hide them when I paint the vents.

Offline precinctomega

• Librarian
  • Roll dice. Change the world.
    • Precinct Omega Publishing at Wargame Vault
Re: Jagannath does 6mm Horizon Wars *Little Update 20/7*
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2016, 11:18:08 AM »
Very nice!  I really must get my hands on some Onslaught minis at some point.

With regards to your Brigade Models force: don't forget that you'll need to be able to clearly distinguish between elements of the same type, so some base marking or something on each element will be needed so that you can pick out each one individually for damage management.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2016, 12:33:02 PM »
Cheers Robey - yes, I've got some numerals on the back of the bases. The Onslaught stuff is so good, just the right clean detail for painting.

(By the way, it's Rory of recent email fame!)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2016, 12:37:59 PM »
The Onslaught stuff is so good, just the right clean detail for painting.

I envy their 3d designers insight. The CAD stuff looks kinda dopey and deformed but on the tabletop is really works. Takes insight to design it exactly the right sort of deformed.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2016, 09:50:05 PM »
I envy their 3d designers insight. The CAD stuff looks kinda dopey and deformed but on the tabletop is really works. Takes insight to design it exactly the right sort of deformed.

Absolutely - that seems to be the case for lots of CAD minis even in other scales - I saw some Crooked Dice renders that looked odd, but the final pieces are great. A skill indeed. Plus some sculptors just get 'painting' detail - Copplestone's the same, perfect detail for a brush tip.

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
    • It's a Hobby, not an Addiction!
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2016, 10:35:14 PM »
Nice looking stuff, the green on those skimmers looks great and I also really like the basing finish with the cracking and texture combo.... I never have the patience to do it properly.

I find CAD work difficult to get my head around. I love it and hate it at the same time. I've got loads of it though and it can be extremely effective, the spartan games planetfall figures worked well at 10mm, although their 28mm dystopian legions was a horrorshow! I'm looking forward to painting my onslaught minis but I know my eyes are going to struggle with the figure detail.

Maybe I'm just a bit old fashioned and like the idea of sculptors hunched over messy tables and the whiff of rubbing alcohol in the air!

Offline julesav

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2016, 10:58:17 AM »
Lovely stuff! Bravo!
"Some scientists say that humans exhibit a behavior called neophilia, which is a preference for new objects. It’s why we like shiny new things."

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2016, 10:51:54 AM »
Cheers both,

Talking of sculpting, I've been following your Arabians with fascination over on Wordpress Grumbledook, looking great so far.

Offline precinctomega

• Librarian
  • Roll dice. Change the world.
    • Precinct Omega Publishing at Wargame Vault
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2016, 06:34:40 PM »
"Fame" is the word, Rory, now your name is in lights on my blog.

;)

R.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Re: Jagannath does 6mm Horizon Wars *A new force 18/9/16*
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2016, 03:04:01 PM »
Hi All,

Finally got the WIP below finished - took me long enough! As I say on the blog (where there's more individual images) not my best painting and the weathering hasn't particularly well at all, but they're finished!

Learned a few more 6mm things from this batch - so onto the next one!

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Re: Jagannath does 6mm Horizon Wars *a not-Tau force 24/04/18*
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2018, 10:33:12 PM »
Hullo folks,

Remember this ancient thread?!

I've actually been painting a fair bit of 6mm on and off, but haven't finished much.

I had a good bit of time to hobby this weekend though, so managed to finially box off this small force of not-Tau from Onslaught miniatures (via the very excellent Vanguard miniatures).

It's a nice little force, just the way I like it, that should be fun and different to play (inflitrators and fast vehicles can pile the pressure on real quick).

I'm especially pleased with the skimmers, they're just such nice and diddy models (those are 25x20mm bases for reference).

I've got some really nice power armour coming soon from Shapeways, so I should be dropping back into this thread soon.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 10:41:29 PM by Jagannath »

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2018, 02:52:10 PM »
Wow, great work! Would love to play with epic-sized stuff (but one scale is enough for me)!

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2018, 10:37:03 PM »
Wow, great work! Would love to play with epic-sized stuff (but one scale is enough for me)!

That's what I always say, then change my mind again! I do different things in the two scales now - 15s for adventures, pulpy characters and RPG type gaming, 6mm for 'military' stuff. I like the abstraction of rules that work for multibased squads too, it's a different thing.

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2018, 08:26:13 PM »
What table size do you find works for HW? I have the rulebook and it seems like it needs to be at least 3'x3'.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2018, 09:00:12 PM »
Yeah 3x3 is probably minimum really. I solo game a bit and ten to pack as much terrain in as I can, so I have played it fairly successfully on my little 3x2, but that might not be to everyone's taste. It's a really good game once it clicks, well worth playing.