Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:17:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: British Armored Suit aka Bors MK1 (Melusine Repaint)  (Read 8364 times)

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
Re: British Armored Suit (Melusine Repaint)
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 11:28:37 AM »
Thank you for your replies. I think I will combine the Camelot idea with the info on SP artillery.
In a WWWII world, Britain might have been partially invaded, which led to... the "Camelot initiative", which tried to create equipment that could defend the British coastline with the lowest possible number of personnel, as the soldiers were needed elsewhere. This resulted to several Division of Mechanised Infantry. The names for the different types of the so-called  AR.M.S. (Armoured Mechanised Suits) were then chosen out of the Arthur Saga. Later on these were used on other battlefields as well and not only within Britain. Somehow this model strikes me as the "Bors Mk1". How about that?

@Agis
Thank you for the tip. I've been on the site of Tom Weiss a thousand times, but it seems I missed that page.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 03:28:06 PM »
The Camelot Project is a good idea - remember the legend says that Arthur and his knights are asleep and will return at the time of Britain's greatest need.  And so it is quite appropriate.

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline earthdog

• Bookworm
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 06:44:55 PM »
They look really nice, you might consider adding a british flag or something as at the moment they don't look very british to me (and you certainly don't want anybody to mistake you for a colonial).

Maybe it's an idea to replace the panzerfaust by some british weapon as well.
Tank? Vot kind of dumbkopf name is that for a Schutzengrabenvernichtungspanzer?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 07:19:35 PM »
vourite lady of the night).

Really, my dear Bullshot. You've got the morals of a tomcat.

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »
Earthdog, I was considering the weapon, but somehow I was to eager to give this a go and didn't think any of it. But there are another 3 of it and I might find something suitable soon.

Painting a British flag could be a bit tricky, but I know what you mean. Maybe I'll get some decals or decal paper.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
Re: British Armored Suit aka Bors MK1 (Melusine Repaint)
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2009, 11:57:43 PM »
You could use a British camouflage scheme - the so-called Mickey Mouse pattern might be possible though it was mainly used on softskins. 

Deleting the star would also make it look more British.  Experienced British crews usually covered up all but the rear deck circled-star on tanks with daubed mud to avoid them being used as aiming points by German gunners. Added to this is the tendency of any tank to get covered in mud and dust anyhow.

Then you could always add a Divisional Sign or tactical marking.  You might get som ideas here:
http://www.petergh.f2s.com/flashes.html

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 09:30:50 AM »
didn't realise the British even used the star as a marking during WW2... always assumed that was the yanks...

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 10:14:29 AM »
dadlamassu, that link is golden! Thank you. Let's see if I find something suitable and then I'll get me some decal paper.

anevilgiraffe, that's what I thought also, but apparently in the end phase of the war the star, if I remember correctly also called "liberty star", was the common symbol of most of the allied forces. I think Poles used it as well.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2009, 06:35:17 PM »
The star was supposed to be used on British vehicles but the only one that was used with any frequency was the top surface one.  This was the "air recognition" star and had a ring painted around it.

The others were either not applied or covered over as the large white stars spoilt camouflage.

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2009, 04:10:38 PM »
Hello again. I am still trying to find the best setup for my photos and at the same time use some of your suggestions. The figure has been revarnished and is now a lot matter. I've thought a bit about how the Melusine, errrmm I mean the the Bors Mk1 could be further marked and tried making a small "sketch" on PS, so I could ask for your opinions, before I do anything. How about I mark it like that:

I am not very sure about the flag, but I thought that placing it on the arm would show how these are still considered infantry in a way. The red/black/red would be the Camelot tactical marking, the round red dot with the black castle the division insignia. The tactical could also be on the top partition of the "head" of the armor. I was thinking of adding a triangle on the left lower arm for the squadron, but I think that would be a tad much. The next step would be either freehanding the symbols or buying some decal paper. We'll see.

Offline Hauptgefreiter

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2009, 06:53:22 PM »
Hello Remington,

the marking looks good. IMHO markings on the head section reminds me too much of crosshairs, so I'd keep it where it is. I was also thinking to make the union jack a little bigger, but I'm not entirely sure if this would be an improvement...
per aspera ad astra

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2009, 01:11:48 PM »
Well, bigger might be a bit too much. I'll consider it tho.

I am still thinking about where to put the regimental and the tactical fashes. Placing the regimental where it is now, seems a bit odd at the moment. On the other hand, I could just treat them as infantry and give them arm badges and nothing else.

Offline Hauptgefreiter

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2009, 03:51:51 PM »
you might take a look at the Space Marines from the Evil Empire  ;)
Some of their badges are placed on the leg armour and knee pads...

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2009, 03:50:51 PM »
I was also thinking to make the union jack a little bigger...

unless this is in the Royal Navy, it's the Union Flag, only a jack on ship...

(I may not know stars, but I know my flag  :D)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2009, 03:57:19 PM »
How about the castle on the knee pad.
Is the tactical marking not there sothat friendlies can identify each other. So should it not be on the head? The Union flag looks fine on the arm.