Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:30:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Playing WAB with my Ancient Indian Army...  (Read 2408 times)

Offline Dave Toone

• Bookworm
Playing WAB with my Ancient Indian Army...
« on: May 23, 2016, 09:58:20 PM »
So, I've finally got enough figures painted to get together a 'Classical' Indian army and have gone back to my first love for the rules of choice - WAB (1.5 and the paper supplements to be precise).

I decided to start a blog with some thoughts on going back to WAB after quite a long absence, as well as recent Batreps and piccies.

http://warhammerhistoricalwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

I think, going by my battle performances so far that I need to sculpt some chariots for the range as well as paint more archers... lots more archers!!  lol

Cheers
Dave

Offline Erik

• Scientist
Re: Playing WAB with my Ancient Indian Army...
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 11:52:48 AM »
Great battlereports and very interresting blog Dave. I will defenitely by cheking this on out on a regular basis. I am impressed at how often you find time to play relatively large games.

Erik

Offline Dave Toone

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 07:52:00 PM »
Thanks Erik, Glad you like the blog!

The 2000 points games are actually slightly smaller than we used to play WAB originally, but the intention is to take the points up to the usual 2500 as soon as possible.

I try to get a 'proper wargame' in at least once every two weeks... more at the height of the gaming season if possible!!   ;)

Dave

Offline Mithridates1

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 11:03:32 PM »
Enjoyed the account - nice looking armies.   I do like to see the Persians getting a win for once!    When I came back to wargaming after a long break the coven here (Canberra, Australia)  introduced me to WAB.  We have now moved to Hail Caesar but do dabble in Command and Colours.  On the look out for alternative Rules like Art de la Guerre.   Will see what Swordpoint looks like later this year.

Will keep dropping by the Blog.

Thanks

Garry

Offline Dave Knight

• Mad Scientist
    • Lead Warrior
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 04:28:25 AM »
WAB2 effectively stopped warhammer ancients playing at our club in Falkirk too.  Impetus became the rules of choice and more recently mass battle has given way to the likes of Dux Brit, SAGA and DBA.

I am following your blog and, you never know, I might be inspired to pull out the old books again sometime.

Offline A Lot of Gaul

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 05:10:41 PM »
Very nice AAR and thoughtful blog post, Erik. I am an aficionado of Hail Caesar myself, but if you and your friends still enjoy playing WAB 1.5 best, there is no reason to stop doing so, just because the rules or edition are no longer being 'officially' supported by the original publisher.

Cheers,
Scott
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 05:14:39 PM by A Lot of Gaul »
"Ventosa viri restabit." ~ Harry Field

Online Johnp4000

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 05:47:19 PM »
I am sure that you don't need anymore archers! :o I thought you seemed a bit light on cavalry?

Offline Dave Toone

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 07:43:25 PM »
Mithridates1 - Glad you enjoyed the post. I think the point you made about moving games with your group of players, whether they're at a club or friends, is one of the biggest factors in games being dropped/started. It's a double edged sword for sure!

Dave Knight - The fairly recent popular migration away from mass battles to the smaller, skirmish-ish type of game has been a point I've pondered for a while. I think there are so many factors affecting our available hobby time, that any game with less of everything - cost, time to paint, time to play, transport issues etc, etc was likely to start to appeal more. I wonder if they can still be termed as 'wargame' in the truest sense of the word? Not a statement, more a question.

A Lot of Gaul - Couldn't agree more (obviously!!). I think it can be a lot harder to stick with a set of old rules than it is to learn and play the latest thing though.

Johnp4000 - Yeah, yeah... we'll see when I'm blotting out the sun with all my arrers coming your way!! Get painting and stop reading this rubbish so we can play a proper wargame!!!! lol Have you seen the stats for Indian cavalry btw? I could walk faster than those drunken nags can run!!

Cheers for the input Gents
Dave

Online Johnp4000

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 03:20:17 PM »
Don't worry Dave, I am currently working on some Roman legionaries which will be coming your way soon. The cavalry sound like a fine addition to your army!