Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:22:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691142
  • Total Topics: 118376
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Massive Darkness Kickstarter is coming ... (delivering now ...!)  (Read 14902 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Massive Darkness Kickstarter is coming ... (delivering now ...!)
« Reply #105 on: August 25, 2017, 10:48:53 PM »
Well mine was just the basic pledge along with a set of Zombicide BP crossover cards and the box says net weight 7.35kg (I can't imagine the cards weighing more than 100g). The size is 38cm x 38cm x 38.5cm, also according to the box it was shipped in.

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2017, 03:53:08 PM »
Psyber, have you tried it any more?

Woops, only just saw that there are more replies to this thread...

Yeah, Elbows, I've played about 5 more games, and it's not growing on me. Added to that the recent silliness with Lord Tusk, and I just can't see that I'll get much use out of it when my other dungeon crawlers are all so much better. So I'm 99% certain I'm going to sort out the few minis that I want, and sell the rest.

It does have some good points, but between poor miniature quality (certainly a lack of detail compared to the similar Black Plague), easy missions, daft card system (like, the most exciting cards are Level 5 treasure and Artifacts, which you only ever draw in the last turn or two and therefore rarely use)... Nah. It's not for me. Also doesn't help that the largest Facebook fan group (Massive Darkness Fanatics) is so darned unfriendly, so even asking simple questions can result in an argument.

I found a rare critical review that really thoughtfully reflects my own feelings about the game: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1834641/massive-darkness-through-eyes-mechanic-junkie

That said, most people seem to be having a blast, difficulty level aside. Could just be me!

By comparison, I love Z:BP for it's fun silliness. And I played Monolith's Conan at the weekend, for the first time since the revised rulebooks were delivered, and for all its flaws Conan is such a better game mechanically than Massive Darkness it's not even a contest. I think there's only room in my life - and my attic - for so many of these big boxed games...  lol
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 03:55:24 PM by psyberwyche »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2017, 09:11:23 PM »
Hmmm, that sucks.

Well, I was hoping it would be a bigger/better version of Z:BP (although I'm not excited about the rather poorly designed custom dice they want to use).  So, this will be no big loss.  I'll probably sell it on and just keep some of the minis --- sad to hear the mini quality is lackluster.  Z:BP are just "okay" so anything less is a real shame.  In reality I have a crap ton of dungeon stuff and I don't "need" this game at all, but Z:BP is one of the games my friends and family like, so it's nice to have it around for the non-wargamer crowd.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #108 on: August 30, 2017, 03:26:20 PM »
Amazing! I had my pledge refunded (bar a 10% fee)

I'm free!!!
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #109 on: August 30, 2017, 09:16:02 PM »
Nice!  (though admittedly for the proft in re-selling it you perhaps lost a little bit more).  Glad you didn't get boned for the whole thing though.

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #110 on: August 31, 2017, 08:11:31 AM »
Nice!  (though admittedly for the proft in re-selling it you perhaps lost a little bit more).  Glad you didn't get boned for the whole thing though.

Not when you factor in the price I take per hour and the amount of time needed to sell it.  lol

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2017, 06:17:24 PM »
Just got my package and, if the shrinkwrapped stuff is as good as the SG box, I'll be pretty darn happy with my pledge. Miniatures are as good if not better than Z:BP.

Excellent value. I suppose if you're looking for a $25+ metal miniature or $10 GW plastic, you're better off buying a $25+ metal miniature or $10 GW plastic.

These will be great for gaming, MD or otherwise.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 08:32:17 PM by ced1106 »
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #112 on: September 02, 2017, 08:23:41 PM »
Mine showed up today unannounced (hurrah).  Not a bad haul.  I'm impressed with the quality of the miniatures which is definitely far crisper/cleaner/better than the Zombicide Black Plague ones (particularly the bad guys).  Unfortunately not a fan of the style of the basic baddies, but a handful of the monsters are worth it.

I suspect I'll be keeping the game if only because flipping it on eBay doesn't look very worthwhile at the moment.  My favourites (without opening all the boxes) are the Cockatrix, the Minotaur, the twin-headed Ogre, the low troll, etc.  A lot of perfect big beasties to populate a dungeon.  I just wish the basic bad guys were more...neat?

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #113 on: September 02, 2017, 08:50:33 PM »
I'd like more variety in the basic baddies.
My favourite is the Cyclops.

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #114 on: September 04, 2017, 12:39:32 PM »
I suspect I'll be keeping the game if only because flipping it on eBay doesn't look very worthwhile at the moment.  My favourites (without opening all the boxes) are the Cockatrix, the Minotaur, the twin-headed Ogre, the low troll, etc.  A lot of perfect big beasties to populate a dungeon.  I just wish the basic bad guys were more...neat?

I've started listing mine on ebay - might as well do it all separately now that I've opened the boxes. The only models I'm keeping are the Cockatrice (for Warhammer Quest) and the Cyclops (for Broken Legions).

In terms of quality, it's the heroes I was critical of. The minions are definitely crisper than the ZBP zombies, especially the Dwarfs and Troglodytes. But the heroes are really lacking in surface detail. Some of them barely have faces (unless I was just really unlucky).