Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:31:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Iberian warriors  (Read 8592 times)

Offline Erik

• Scientist
Iberian warriors
« on: June 11, 2016, 10:21:35 PM »
I recently purchased Victrix Iberian miniatures (lovely figures) and I’m I bit in doubt of how to assemble them best. What I mostly want is to mix them a little with maybe 1:4 sword armed warriors and probably the same with the smaller round shield in the same units. Make them look a bit barbarian like instead of ordered infantry with the same armament. Now I know there is the whole Scutarii Caetratii think to consider here so I like to hear what people think. There are not that many painted examples out there yet to take inspiration from.

Do I mix or do I make a sword armed, small shield Caetratii unit and a spear armed large shield Scutarii unit

Cheers
Erik

Offline Mithridates1

• Librarian
Re: Iberian warriors
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 12:17:03 AM »
Erik

Like you I bought a box for my Carthaginians, to go with older metal figures.    

Planning 2 small units of Caetrati and a larger Scutarii one for Hail Caesar games.    My thinking was javelins for the small units (maybe the odd swordsmen for effect) and maybe 30/50% swordsmen for the Scutarii.   Front rank especially as they have already thrown their heavy javelins!  Shields - thinking of using larger shields for the scutarii and smaller ones for the caetrati.  

Upto you really depending on the effect you wish to create - I was planning these guys as good quality mercenaries hence standardising shields.

Agree they are fine figures, shame they have to wait in line patiently to be painted.........

Garry
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 12:19:04 AM by Mithridates1 »

Offline delbruck

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 12:17:16 AM »
From what I understand the majority of "warriors" would use the same type of shield in a tribe. Supposedly, the Lusitanians were one of the few tribes that the warriors used the caetra. Since the type of shield carried effects the fighting style of the tribe, I would expect the majority of warriors to use the same type of shield.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 11:55:33 AM by delbruck »

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 09:09:01 AM »
Right. So mixed weapons okay but small shield for Caetrati units only. As you Garry I also plan on using them for my Hail Caesar Carthaginians (Victrix) . I use 16 man strong units on four 4X4 bases with four man pr. base. I might do the Caetrati three man pr. base to show they are light troops.

The Iberians are as of tonight out of the painting line and on the table. I painted this guy friday just because I really like the pose.

I was thinking of signing them up for the army painter 2016/2017 as a Lions Rampant Iberian warband. My Carthaginian army could actually be split into a Greek, Celtic, African and Iberian Lions Rampant warband.

Offline Mithridates1

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 09:37:47 AM »
Great job Erik.   A striking pose as you say. 

I am also thinking how best to base light troops like caetrati.   Previously I have used single bases and sabot extensions into open order.   A bit messy.  A fellow wargamer has used 2 light troops on a 40 x 40mm base.    Units of 8.  Thus 4 bases in a line in open order (160mm long) and then closed up as 2 lines of 2 bases (80mm deep x 80mm long).

Garry

Offline delbruck

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 11:58:54 AM »
Very nice. Mixed weapons is fine. Each warrior would have a sword plus one or more javelins.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 05:16:21 AM »
Barbarians aren't necessarily chaotic and stupid. Light and heavy would be unlikely to be in the same unit.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 05:50:46 AM »
Barbarians aren't necessarily chaotic and stupid. Light and heavy would be unlikely to be in the same unit.

Yep, didn't Barbarian pretty much mean, "Stranger, foreign and or Different?"
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 10:07:15 AM »
I too have purchased some Iberian Warriors both armoured and unarmoured and intend to make a Spanish contingent for Hail Caesar.  My plan is to mix the spanish into two types of units. 

The scutari will be predominantly javelin/pilum armed but about 25-30% sword armed in units of 24 with mixed scutum. They will be mounted on 40 x 40mm bases within a movement tray holding 4 bases.

The caetrati will be a 50-50 mix of javelin/sword with the smaller of the round shields in units of 12. They will be mounted on individual 20 x 20mm bases to represent them as skirmishers but grouped in a movement tray when being used as formed light infantry.

Sadly they are at the back of the painting queue at the moment but I hope to paint up a couple of examples at the weekend.  I hadn't thought about using the Army Painter challenge as a spur to getting them done but I might just do that depending on time frame.

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 11:53:55 AM »
I have been doing a bit of research (always a good thing) and found out that caetrati are lighter than I originally thought. I had them down as light infantry with some fighting potential but from what I gather they were skirmishers. In keeping with my 16 strong unit size, I think I will make two 16 strong scutarii units on 40x40 mm bases and 8 individually mounted caetrati.

Even though I really like the smaller shields I have also realized that scutarii NEED the big shield (taking their name from it and all).

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 12:15:13 PM »
The Caetrati used the caetra small shield to fight in melee.
They trained specifically for a man to man combat using the small shield to parry enemy strikes.
They could be used as light/squirmish infantry but when they reached the oponent they where agile fighters.
The caetra was used like the small buckler in the medieval period perhaps with greater efect.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 12:39:00 PM »
Yep, didn't Barbarian pretty much mean, "Stranger, foreign and or Different?"

"Stupid foreigner who can't speak Latin/Greek properly," pretty close in many ways to the English wog, if I may use the term to make a point without endorsing the attitudes that went with it.

The words used for Germans in Slavic languages (Czech's the only one I have significant experience with, but I have Polish and Russian friends), is Nemetski, "not speakers".

Offline Matakakea

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 05:25:05 PM »
I remember hearing, many years ago, during my school days that to the Greeks barbarians were 'trouser wearers'. How true that is I've found out.
I'm not a mercenary. Killing's more of a hobby for me.

Offline fantail

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 10:12:54 PM »
I too am planning on painting up some Victrix Spanish so I have a question about sources. Do any of the ancient sources mention how the Iberians fought? When people say that they did this or did that I would like to know where that information came from.
Not a criticism, I would like to know so I can read some more.
Thanks

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 11:01:33 PM »
Fantail here is a small start.

https://translate.google.pt/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&u=http://povosdaantiguidade.blogspot.com/2009/10/lusitanos.html&prev=search

If you read portuguese or spanish i can quote 2 or 3 books.
Even in portuguese information is scarse and some existing is left/written by the romans and greeks.

Try also themes related to the Lusitanian leader Viriato (or viriatus).