Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:18:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Terrain: Printed playmat vs static grass mat?  (Read 2363 times)

Offline Gracchus Armisurplus

• Scientist
Terrain: Printed playmat vs static grass mat?
« on: June 14, 2016, 10:52:12 AM »
I'm looking at putting together a proper 3'x4' board for SAGA (as opposed to using my full 6'x4' which is a bit cumbersome) and was looking at getting a static grass mat to attach to some MDF, which is what I use for my 6'x4', but then I thought about getting a playmat from Deepcut Studios or somewhere like that. I use one of the Deepcut mats for X Wing and Armada and I like it a lot, but those games don't really make use of terrain features in the same way as SAGA or other traditional wargames do.

The pro of the mat is that it has a nice patterned surface and isn't a homogenous green colour:

The downside is that it's obviously a flat printed surface and so bases and terrain pieces don't blend in as well.

Which would you use, and why?

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
Re: Terrain: Printed playmat vs static grass mat?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 11:38:13 AM »
There was a tutorial on how to do a grass mat using teddy bear fur, but I can't find the original. However, I've found this one based on the original article. Hope it helps (though it wasn't what you were looking for)  :)
http://www.heresybrush.com/2009/como-hacer-un-campo-de-batalla-con-pelo-sintetico/

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 11:45:00 AM »
That does look really cool, but not terribly practical :(

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 12:14:10 PM »
I think the Deep Cut Studios mats I have are the best balance between the two.  Better than a normal felt mat...not as in depth as a detailed teddy-fur mat etc.

Add the lack of needing to iron it, the heavy weight and the padding which makes for perfect dice rolling - I think I'll be sticking to them. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline A Lot of Gaul

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 01:39:46 PM »
For my Ancients wargaming, I much prefer a textured grass mat. The only Games Workshop product I have ever purchased was one of their old 6' x 4' grass mats, and I have never since found anything that I have liked better. I realize that this is not particularly helpful to your own search, but perhaps someone else may know of a currently available product that might be similar.

Cheers,
Scott
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 02:24:12 PM by A Lot of Gaul »
"Ventosa viri restabit." ~ Harry Field

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 12:23:52 AM »
For my Ancients wargaming, I much prefer a textured grass mat. The only Games Workshop product I have ever purchased was one of their old 6' x 4' grass mats, and I have never since found anything that I have liked better. I realize that this is not particularly helpful to your own search, but perhaps someone else may know of a currently available product that might be similar.

Cheers,
Scott

Yeah, I had an opportunity to buy one of those when it was released, but I didn't need it then and of course it's out of production now...

It's kind of a tough call to make. On the one hand, the grass mat matches my current terrain, and is cheaper. The Deepcut mat is about twice the price, but can be laid over my existing X Wing board and as such won't require a new board. I'm probably looking at a couple of hours work, plus the cost of the MDF to get a grass mat attached to a new 3'x4' board. Plus the grass mats do eventually shed and become thread-bare, while a neoprene backed mat is less likely to do so. I'm torn on the aesthetics. A grass mat is obviously 3D which is superior to a printed image. But it's also uniform and a touch unrealistic in it's bowling green appearance, where a printed mat has a variety of imagery and incorporates some shrubs and rocks and bare patches and whatnot.

I think if they were the same price I'd definitely go for the printed mat. I don't want to spend the time and effort making a grass mat just to have it wear out where the deployment zones are, since that's where everyone rests their hands. At the same time, I DO really value the look and feel of actual grass as opposed to a printed image...

Who knew such a small decision would occupy so much of my time?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 01:15:03 AM »
I understand your concern.

I would vastly prefer to have big teddy bear fur cloths, and mats...I'd love to have 3D terrain built into the board etc.  But the reality of my gaming means terrain goes in plastic tubs and I roll up a mat...makes it easy, robust and very travel-friendly.  I have to sacrifice the beautiful quality of pre-made tiles/boards/etc. for convenience.

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 05:36:41 AM »
There is also the option of making your own mat with the caulking technique, that is using acrylic paste. There are several tutorials online, one can be found here: http://tobispaintpot.blogspot.co.at/2012/10/a-new-horizon-tutorial-for-flexible.html

It's easier than it looks - I tried it twice, and each time it worked fine (here is how I did one of them: https://wargamingraft.wordpress.com/2015/04/24/how-to-make-a-beach-mat/)!
Also, you don't have to use canvas (too expensive where I live), I use cheap felt and it works perfect.

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 05:37:07 AM »
Well, I bit the bullet and bought a grass mat. I managed to find one for $48 shipped, which was about $100 less than the Deepcut one was going to be.