Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:25:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Static Grass & Coarse Turf - usage advice for realistic terrain  (Read 3709 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Static Grass & Coarse Turf - usage advice for realistic terrain
« on: November 26, 2015, 08:57:13 PM »
Folks - some advice please :)

I've looked at a lot of terrain build threads but am stuck on one issue.

Basically, I have a bunch of 30 cm sq terrain tiles that have been textured with sand and painted burnt umber then highlighted pale brown. There are also rocks, trees, water and a track, all of which I'm fine with: my issue is with the grassed areas and small bushes.

I have stocked up on the following:

Gamers Grass moss pads (green, mixed sizes)
Gamers Grass tufts (light green, mixed sizes)
Gamers Grass tufts (mixed green, mixed sizes)
Javis static grass (summer mix)
Javis static hairy grass (summer mix)
Javus static hairy grass (autumn mix)
Woodland Scenics coarse turf (yellow grass)
Woodland Scenics coarse turf (light green)
Woodland Scenics coarse turf (burnt grass).
Woodland Scenics clump foliage (light green)

I plan to apply the static grass using an electric static grass applicator but my confusion is how to integrate it with the other growies.

I'm thinking that the grass tufts and clump bushes will go on first, with the static grass added between them. But what about the coarse turf?  This is a very finely chopped foam material that, presumably, is just scattered onto PVA over the sand. Would you mix the coarse turf foam in with the static grass fibres, and apply both at the same time (not sure what the static applicator might do to the foam!)? Or do I lay out separate patches of foam and fibre, for different textures in different places?

Also, do I lay out patches of the various colours with blending at the edges or just mix all the colours and then apply it?

Thoughts would be appreciated. :)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 02:01:59 PM by Silent Invader »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
Re: Static Grass & Coarse Turf - usage advice please
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 07:08:25 PM »
I'm thinking that the grass tufts and clump bushes will go on first, with the static grass added between them. But what about the coarse turf?  This is a very finely chopped foam material that, presumably, is just scattered onto PVA over the sand. Would you mix the coarse turf foam in with the static grass fibres, and apply both at the same time (not sure what the static applicator might do to the foam!)? Or do I lay out separate patches of foam and fibre, for different textures in different places?
A couple of things. 
     First the quick questions. 
-No the applicator will not damage foam.  The applicator does carry an electrical current and if you touch the grounding probe with the mesh it will arc and the spark can burn materials and hurts quite a bit.  Just be sure to keep the applicator away from the probe. 
-Apply foams then static grass then tufts.  Think small to large particle size. 
     Now to the question of what should go where.  That really depends on what you are doing.  You do not use exactly the same materials and techniques for jungle as you would for pine forests.  If it is a realistic scene then check out model railroad and fine scale modeling how to books.  My favorite is:

In my own opinion he does the best job describing how to lay down your layers of vegetation to create a realistic scene. 
If it is for war gaming and will have models on top of it then you need to take into account durability of your materials.  Your best bet in this case would be to have bare ground where models will be placed and work up the vegetation around any raised details (say trees, rocks or fence posts) so they can protect the vegetation from damage.  Again use the model rail road and armor books to help learn how to lay down the vegetation in a realistic manner. 
Hope that helps and I am sure that others will have much more input that will help too.
Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 08:36:05 PM »
Thanks very much Snitchy: a lot of advice that is very much appreciated.  8)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 08:40:18 PM »
Well, I can tell you what I do Steve...

I lay down the scatter materials first (usually my preferred blend of different grades and colours of Woodland Scenics fine turf / coarse turf, with a bit of static grass mixed in).
Then, once that has dried, I've shaken off the excess, and patched any areas which need a bit more, I add tufts and clump foliage in little clusters where I want them. Usually I'll scrape off a fractional bit of the scatter material to provide a tiny point of contact between the underlying terrain surface, the dab of superglue, and the underside of the tuft or fragment of sponge...
Then, once I've added all the greens I think it needs, I use a plant mister to spray the whole lot with a good drenching of 'scenic cement'. This (basically watered down PVA) fixes the scatter firmly in position and stop it gradually disappearing over time. It dries flat matt, so just provides a nice tidying seal. Although it does fractionally darken the tone of your scatter materials.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 09:10:50 PM »
That's extremely useful as well Richard: thanks very much  8)

I'd read through a few of your WIP threads and I didn't quite get the actual mixture and mechanics... Now I do.   :D   I suspect that I have way too much static grass and nowhere near enough turf, which I shall have to rectify.  A trip out tomorrow, me thinks!!!

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 09:42:09 PM »
I think it's already been said.....

Clumps or static grass in which ever order you think best - I regularly mix the application of static and clumps or tufts - What ever feels right.

Good luck.

Tony

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 09:50:53 PM »
I was at a model railway show last weekend a nd watched a chap demonstrating how he made his trees.  The scatter material he used as foliage was cushion foam that he had saturated with emulsion paint, allowed to dry, then when he needed it he grated it, using a kitchen grater.  The same method could be used to make your own scatter materials (course/medium/fine turf).

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 10:36:38 PM »
Thanks chaps: also very much appreciated  8)

This is proving to be (for me at least!) a very useful thread. I've used static grass before but not the ground foam turf and so it's great to have insights into technique.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 09:19:32 PM »
A big thanks for all the advice received.

I've now finished the first 6 of 30cm sq tiles which are in the main project thread ....

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=83691.135

......but here's a taster I've what you helped me make:

Thanks for taking the time to guide a coarse turf virgin! :)

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 09:20:44 PM »
Great looking terrain!  :)

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 10:54:06 AM »
Having seen you magnificent boards, I've suddenly got a hankering do something of the sorts myself. So this immensely helpful thread has just got bookmarked. Good stuff - Thanks to you guys for typing this stuff out.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 10:56:16 AM »
That's great to hear - I hope the collective wisdom proves helpful to many  8)

Offline Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
Re: Static Grass & Coarse Turf - usage advice for realistic terrain
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 10:53:44 PM »
What I find works quite well is to apply as a last step a brown wash over all the flocking. Either with a brush or an airbrush. This draws the different colours together and achieves a more realistic result:

Before:

And after: