Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:22:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Shieldmaidens!  (Read 4720 times)

Offline Jacksarge

• Scientist
    • Jacksarge Painting
Shieldmaidens!
« on: June 15, 2016, 04:17:04 AM »
These figures were part of the group of Vikings that I posted several weeks ago, but I didn't get them finished in time for that post. The miniatures are from Stronghold Terrain:

One wee bugbear for me are shields that do not have a hide covering & are just painted boards. A shield is going to get smashed in quick time without a covering of hide - I'm sure re-enactors could confirm this.  :)

All the best,
John.

Offline Gracchus Armisurplus

• Scientist
Re: Shieldmaidens!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 05:33:40 AM »
Very nice!

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 08:09:40 AM »
Still very attractive figures. As are the models.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Matakakea

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 05:33:24 PM »
One wee bugbear for me are shields that do not have a hide covering & are just painted boards. A shield is going to get smashed in quick time without a covering of hide - I'm sure re-enactors could confirm this.
A little work with some greenstuff, or similar, would give you the hide cover. I suppose it depends how much time you want to spend on each figure  :)
I'm not a mercenary. Killing's more of a hobby for me.

Offline nikko

• Scientist
    • les figurines du Nikko
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 09:28:45 PM »
Hello,

Very nice painting !!

Nikko

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 09:37:09 PM »
 :-*  Very nice figures and great painting!

I also think they deserve better shields!  :D
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Freelancer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 12:36:08 AM »
Nice  :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 08:52:46 PM »
One wee bugbear for me are shields that do not have a hide covering & are just painted boards. A shield is going to get smashed in quick time without a covering of hide - I'm sure re-enactors could confirm this.  :)

Not sure about that - visiting viking events, I've seen a LOT of shields without hide covering them. But most re-enactment shields hereabouts seem to be made of single pieces of plywood or something similar, not constructed from individual boards. I guess it is too much hassle for something that has to be considered expendable...
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Gracchus Armisurplus

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 10:45:59 PM »
Not sure about that - visiting viking events, I've seen a LOT of shields without hide covering them. But most re-enactment shields hereabouts seem to be made of single pieces of plywood or something similar, not constructed from individual boards. I guess it is too much hassle for something that has to be considered expendable...

I think there's probably not a lot of consensus about shield construction, given that there's not a lot of existing examples from the period left.

I remember being surprised to learn that Roman shields only had a single 'handle' behind the boss, with no arm strap. Shields were controlled and held by that single handle. I wonder if dark ages shields were the same?

Offline MM

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 07:57:06 AM »
I think so, though I believe roman shields had a horizontal handle whereas early medieval round shields had a vertical/upright handle. I think straps came into play with the kite shield.

And certainly nice miniatures, very well painted. I like the muted colour palette!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 09:18:40 PM »
I think there's probably not a lot of consensus about shield construction, given that there's not a lot of existing examples from the period left.

I remember being surprised to learn that Roman shields only had a single 'handle' behind the boss, with no arm strap. Shields were controlled and held by that single handle. I wonder if dark ages shields were the same?

I think so, though I believe roman shields had a horizontal handle whereas early medieval round shields had a vertical/upright handle. I think straps came into play with the kite shield.

Exactly! The handle on a round dark ages shield most often is running most of the width of the shield, thus providing a lot of the stability of the construction. Which angle you hold it is less important than for the scutum, as it is round. The boss covers a central hole making space for the hand, which means that you hold the shield exactly at it's center of gravity, which makes it less strainful.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 11:50:37 PM »
The boss covers a central hole making space for the hand, which means that you hold the shield exactly at it's center of gravity, which makes it less strainful.

It also helps in warding off incoming blows, because one feels like using his "hand", which is a very natural reaction (the same action as in later bucklers). Medieval shields without boss are not very suited for individual combat and thus are more useful on horseback, IMHO. 

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 05:41:29 AM »
There might also be straps for other reasons, such as for longer distance carrying rather than to keep it on the arm, having a strap you can utilize in hooking the shield to your back when transiting if you didn't have a pack animal

Offline Landsknecht

• Librarian
  • CaptAIN CAAAAAAveman!
    • Landsknecht1525 Youtube Channel
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 01:53:36 PM »
Outstanding!

Offline Jacksarge

• Scientist
    • Jacksarge Painting
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 11:44:08 PM »