Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:36:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 762
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warmaster Ancients  (Read 3023 times)

Offline Terrible Tim

• Scientist
    • The Wargamer
Warmaster Ancients
« on: January 21, 2009, 12:55:27 AM »
Can anyone tell me how much different Warmaster Ancients is, compared to the original game of Warmaster? Are their many people that play it? Is it popular? Are there any bad points (I like Warmaster – quick and simple)?

I am thinking of buying a set of 6mm to 15 mm ancient rules (Warmaster Ancients?) and would like to know what other gamers currently use.

TT.
...Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen....

Blog: www.the-wargamer.com

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Warmaster Ancients
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 08:04:34 AM »
It has quite a following across the hobby, . No magic and a few differences, not played the fantasy version going off others comments. A nice game with 2 expansions one additional army lists and the most recent is medieval lists and seige rules.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 08:35:57 AM »
On figures I have used 28mm, 15mm and 10mm, a lot of lads use 6mm at our club too the smaller scales make it look more epic with ranks stands and have more of a battle feel and look than say WAB which is more skirmish/absract.

the best community for looking at ithe rules and getting a feel and resources etc is the Yahoo group

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/historical-warmaster/

Offline Terrible Tim

• Scientist
    • The Wargamer
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 11:42:39 AM »
Thanks guys. I have joined the Yahoo group.

TT.

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 01:07:40 PM »
I do not know the rules verbatim, but one major difference was the way cavalry was based in WA. From what I read and heard, this made cav less almighty and made for a better game. I don't know if this change ever made it into Warmaster.

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 01:11:28 PM »
From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warmaster#Warmaster_Ancients

Warmaster Ancients Gameplay

The gameplay for Warmaster Ancients follows the same basic procedure as Warmaster Fantasy, but differs in the following way :

Magic, dragons and other such are naturally not present in this rule set (although historical large creatures, such as elephants, are present in some armies).

Units may only receive three consecutive orders.

Combat is limited to two exchanges, unlike the fantasy version, where units may continue to attack as long as they have valid targets in range. This allows players to reinforce their troops under attack and prevents a lucky player from "rolling up" a flank.

There are special rules for many historical unit types. Units based on the 20 mm edge are designated as "shock troops" and include heavy cavalry, elephants and phalanges using pikes. Among the most important new troop types are skirmishers, mobile light troops that can evade an enemy charge and can be used to delay an enemy advance.

==========================

Here's a player review:

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=51491

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 04:33:51 PM »
I do not know the rules verbatim, but one major difference was the way cavalry was based in WA. From what I read and heard, this made cav less almighty and made for a better game. I don't know if this change ever made it into Warmaster.

Cav by default is based across the width of the base unlike Warmaster Fantasy where they were based across the norrow edge of the base.

You can still get cav based like that in Ancients but they are considered Shock Cavalry and cost more points.

In general I think that WMA basically fixed everything that was wrong with the fantasy version. Great game, especially for 6mm scale gaming

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 10:54:19 AM »
Tim,

I've played both Warmaster and Warmaster Ancients.  The latter is definitely the superior game.  Rick Priestley obviously learned from the mistakes made in the original. 

However, I play Impetus now.  It's a newer historical battle ruleset that can be played at any scale, published in Italy.  I've been playing at 6mm, but rather than bore you with random details, I'll provide you with a link.  There is a free version (basic Impetus) and the full version (Impetus)

http://www.dadiepiombo.com/basic2.html

Enjoy. They are both good games, so I'm sure you won't regret your choice.

JET