Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:27:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Tuskeegee Rocketmen (Improved Photos)  (Read 2414 times)

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
The Tuskeegee Rocketmen (Improved Photos)
« on: January 21, 2009, 07:20:25 AM »
EDIT: Once again, some improved photos. Thank you very much to those of you who have given guidance. I hope the new shots here will give you a better view of these beautiful castings by Pulp. My painting just doesn't do them justice. You should be able to see the scar on one of the leaders now, along with slightly better detail. These still aren't as sharp as I'd like, but they're a sight better than the previous photos.

Heroes of OUR AMERICA! These dashing flyers are yet another set from Pulp Figures - this time packs from the 'Rocket Trooper' line. As a kid, I had the honor of meeting one of the black heroes of WW2, a veteran of the 761st. I always thought he'd make a good Pulp Hero.

These gentlemen are, for the most part, African-American officers in the US Army. In the idealized world of the Pulps, they haven't suffered -quite- as much intolerance, but I'm sure it's no accident that these brave men were chosen to test the experimental rocket packs that have now made them famous. Based out of Fort Charles Young in Costa Pacifica, California, the brave men of the Tuskeegee Rocket Corps (named for the University where they were first recruited) have battle enemies foreign, domestic, and interplanetary!

Another group of heroes for our upcoming Pulp games, and already some of my favorite figs.

Coming soon - Captain America and Bucky, and the mysterious Doc Twilight himself! (soon as I can figure out how to add a fedora to a figure).

Hope you like these.

-Doc

« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 10:07:59 AM by Doc Twilight »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: The Tuskeegee Rocketmen (Improved Photos)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 01:30:16 PM »
OK, if noone else wants to comment (?), let me be the first.

I like the idea of these, and they seem very well painted (the pics are still a bit too blurred - do you hold the camera by hand?).

What colour(s) did you use for the jackets and trousers?

And if you want to add a Fedora: I would find an appropriate mini with one, and press-mould the Fedora - then cast the bugger. You can also just sacrifice a mini by cuttting off the hat with a razor saw.....  ::)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 01:59:02 PM »
I'm not much of a pulp gamer, but this is an outstanding concept! The painting looks good too. Are you using the macro function on your camera? I find I need to turn mine off for group shots sometimes or mine blur like this.

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 02:17:57 PM »
These are some of my favourite figs aswell, I have about 18 of them I think, 5 painted.

I have a new camera and suffer from a little focusing issue like you here, have a fiddle with your settings and balance the camera on something firm so that it doesn't shake.

Good painting, dark skin well actually any kind of skin is hard. Like your flags good to see you painted them. So did I  :D

dodge

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 08:14:17 PM »
I have a new camera and suffer from a little focusing issue like you here, have a fiddle with your settings and balance the camera on something firm so that it doesn't shake.

Tripod! Can be had for peanuts. Even with a tripod I cannot always get the right focus  ::)

Macro function is good, but I'm still striving with the white balance thing... and the lighting. My camera was probably too cheap  lol

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 01:26:56 PM »
My camera was probably too cheap  lol

My cell phone has a better camera than my actual camera which cost more. Only ever managed to get blurry pics with my regular camera whereas all the pics I posted in the past months are taken with the cell phone (a samsung for the record).