Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:37:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: "The Library" Game Recap (Update: Images fixed!)  (Read 1375 times)

Offline Fiftyvolts

• Student
"The Library" Game Recap (Update: Images fixed!)
« on: July 24, 2016, 04:34:42 PM »
EDIT: Ok dokie! I don't know what was up but I fixed all the images. Sorry folks, hope this is 10x more enjoyable!

I had some guests over this past weekend and I sold one of them on trying out Frostgrave. I pulled out my existing sigilist warband and we created a second illusionist warband from the remaining models in my collection (though we did have to resort to some old D&D prepaints I had lying around, woof).

I pulled out my Dwarven Forge dungeon tiles and set up a small labyrinth for the underground library scenario. Here's the recap!

----

Belmont the Sigilist and his faithful apprentice Gordon had just finished the preparations for their first construct, a clay golem, using the instructions in the grimoire they had discovered. Truly a brute of a creation, after the ritual was completed its eyes snapped open and a dull spark of intelligence sparked behind them.

With their newly expanded warband Belmont rounded up the soldiers and explained to them the rumor he heard about an underground library full of riches.

Meanwhile, the Illustionist Magda had finally arrived to the edge of the frozen city. After hearing of the gold rush of the magical artifacts and knowledge to be found amongst the ruins she knew she had to set forth to claim as much as should could while the thaw was fresh. Her long time doddering apprentice, who went by the moniker Uncle Grumpy, followed as well. Though advanced in years he only began studying magic late in life and never had the capacity to strike out as a wizard on his own.

The two collected some soldiers, but before they ventured forth into the city they let howl a magical call to the wilds and were rewarded with two mighty bears as companions for their troupe.

Ready for anything, they struck out to establish a base in the city. One of the soldiers knew of an underground library that might just do the trick… as long as no one else got there first.

Magda and her warband entered the library and quickly saw a few valuable pockets of treasure among the ruins. She motioned to a few thugs and thieves to start looting. Then, from the other side of the library she hears a crash. Were they not alone? Perhaps it was just rats.

After opening the door to the large chamber in the center of the library Magda saw it was not rats, well literal ones anyway, but instead a party of soldiers led by a wizard as true as herself. Clearly the find would not be taken so easily. Crossbow bolts started to fly from both sides as Magda goaded forward her grizzly allies.

Despite several desperate attempts Magda and Grumpy weren’t able to get their spells to cast or connect.  Magda grit her teeth and hoped that her soldiers would be able to get some work done.

Belmont knew that an intact library was too alluring to avoid confrontation with another wizard, but he did have the advantage of some experience in the city already. In this instance, he also had the initiative as he had broken into the subterranean chambers first.

He cast spells of enchantment onto Kronk, his cold but faithful companion, and Gordon managed to enchant the constract to greater strength as well. The two brutes lumbered forward into battler.

As Magda’s bear wandered out into the darkened chamber it happened to brush against a large chest. Suddenly the chest shook and jumped into motion! It was not chest at all, but a cleverly disguised construct left behind by the original collectors from this library.

Magda dispatched a thug the help free her bear from the magical trap. Meanwhile Grumpy turned his attention to a few of their minions, directing them to make their way out of the dungeon with treasures that the found.

Arrows whizzed past belmont and his men as they came under heavy fire. Kronks magically enhanced strength proved to be so great that bolts were shattering off his bare rippling muscles.

One Eye Willie, the crossbowman, was not so fortunate however. Belmont ducked behind the wall as he saw an arrow followed by a magical dart made from bone sink into Willie’s chest. Belmont knew that if they could get him to safety he would survive, but it would take time to heal.

Meanwhile, the expert thief in Belmont’s party called Cuttley had discovered a golden idol near a second exit from the library. Making haste he grabbed the treasure and fled the encounter.

The bears and Magda’s thug cautiously approached the giant barbarian that blocked forward progress in the hallway, perhaps if they could gang up he could be brought low.

Unfortunately to Magda’s horror more of her enemy’s men lay in wait around the corner. A hulking construct and a skinny thug jumped from cover into the fray. Grumpy saw the last of the treasure made it out of the confines of the dungeon and called the retreat.

Magda saw one of her party had fallen and could only hope that he would be ok. She signaled to Grumpy to take swift vengeance. He cast one final bone dart off at the enemy wizard. Finally the words of the spell rang true and the dart slammed into the blue robed man. He grasped his chest as a plume of red spilled forth and fell. Weather the wound was fatal was not known, but he would think twice before crossing Magda’s warband again.

----

At the end of the game we drew 3 treasures each. Belmont (who did in fact survive, whew) walked away with a handsome 300ish gold crowns, a grimoire of Animal Companion, and a grimoire of Transpose. He used the money to outfit his home base (a library) with a scriptorium. He also gained two levels which went into improving write scroll down to 8 now and learning create grimoire that was obtained from a previous shopping trip.

Magda established her own library base (we like to think it is in the library we just fought over). She gained a little over 400 gold and used it to buy gloves of casting. She also picked up a scroll of Fog and a scroll of Create Grimoire with the loot.

It was great to get a game in! I’m looking forward to my next chance (though with work and travel it might be a bit unfortunately.)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 12:30:48 AM by Fiftyvolts »

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
Re: "The Library" Game Recap (Update: Images fixed!)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 03:26:54 AM »
Great report!! I so want a few sets of those tiles but I've heard they are fairly expensive.

Offline Fiftyvolts

• Student
Re: "The Library" Game Recap (Update: Images fixed!)
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 03:37:31 AM »
Yeah not too bad price wise. The tiles are a great value
 They are super durable and uniform. I'm thinking of getting some of the caverns and sewer sets next.

Biggest draw back is they are heavy if you are looking to cart them around.