Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:08:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689750
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 632
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Save the Princess; Barsoomian style & En Garde adaptations for Barsoom  (Read 4661 times)

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
Last night we played a great little game of Barsoomian En Garde! The scenario started as a simple raid on a temple full of Green Martian Tharks with a hostage princess.

This turned out very dull, as the Tharks were simply shot down when they exited the temple and the final Thark inside killed the hostage. Duh.  

So we turned it into a  tense sneak-and-stab scenario. Two sentries were placed outside and moved every turn on a scatter die + 1d6" movement.

The Red Martian troops laid in ambush and a select few tried to sneak into the temple through a hole in the roof to extract the princess or protect her during the raid. The Red Martians had Initiative as long as they were unnoticed. The Green Tharks inside the temple did nothing as long as the sentries did not raise the alarm.

Will they succeed? Check it out at http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/2016/07/save-princess-barsoomian-style-en-garde.html  lol

I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline shadowking1957

• Mastermind
    • Shadowkings
Great table and miniatures. if you had fun then all worth it never judge your  endeavours.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
"...even smelled suitably mouldy for an old temple! "

*ahem* Too much information, old boy...  ;)

So we turned it into a  tense sneak-and-stab scenario.

Sometimes, when I hear 'this set of rules can't do this,' or 'set up is no fun!', I know a simple think though, as you have done, would make all right.

Albeit, requiring a second think through get it on the mark, even if her majesty buys it through lack of skill.  :D

As you lost a warrior the first run, and the princess the last one, both to climbing accidents, in a world where flying is normal and respect for falls high, I wonder if you made survival a bit TOO hard.

You really find 'VSF canon' for Mars that restricted? I've decided my flyers will have a choice of liftwood, R-Matter, or Negative Gravity Screw. I borrow from EVERYBODY.  8)

Whatever, I judge your game jolly good fun!

Doug

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
Well, I am somewhat of a purist. While I would like to play all versions mixed with each other, it is hard to produce an interesting game when all Earth-born humans have super powers. That is really the reason I differ between the two canons. You either have a game full of Martians and one super-powered human, or you have a game full of Martians and humans that are roughly alike in terms of capabilities.

That's why I think the "Space 1889" isn't really compatible with "John Carter".

But apart from that, anything goes AFAIC

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Well, I am somewhat of a purist. While I would like to play all versions mixed with each other, it is hard to produce an interesting game when all Earth-born humans have super powers. That is really the reason I differ between the two canons. You either have a game full of Martians and one super-powered human, or you have a game full of Martians and humans that are roughly alike in terms of capabilities.

I figure that if each player has a single human, super powers and all, for a leader that is perfectly victorian. Naturally two gentlemen with clashing ideologies would recruit loyal but simple-minded locals in their personal conflict in unfamiliar lands, is that not the natural way of things?  ;D
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
I figure that if each player has a single human, super powers and all, for a leader that is perfectly victorian. Naturally two gentlemen with clashing ideologies would recruit loyal but simple-minded locals in their personal conflict in unfamiliar lands, is that not the natural way of things?  ;D

But wouldn't an a-symmetrical game of one super-powered human set against a multitude of Martian savages be much more interesting as a game?

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain

John Carter keeps his super-powers because of the way he travels to Mars.
The troopships that travel the Edison aether wave take ages to get there during which time the troops get out of condition, and when they first arrive on Mars (until they acclimatise) they are at a distinct disadvantage to the natives - heat, dust, insects etc make them slower and less agile, and only superior firepower keeps them alive (although that can't be relied on).
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Ah, I quite accept there will be inconsistencies 'between sources.' Stories of super powers might be 'exaggerated.' Other factors may have given John Carter even more than a normal earth human.

Still, in spite of your 'purist' tendencies, you take or discard what you will. Now, Well's Martians are a whole different cut, but we use them in VSF as well...

But wouldn't an a-symmetrical game of one super-powered human set against a multitude of Martian savages be much more interesting as a game?

Plenty of fluff-driven things can be used.

On another tack, say the villian is almost a paraplegic, but able to walk with difficulty on Mars. His gift-of-gab has enslaved the minds of the local populace, but our intrepid hero will thwart his nefarious plans!

I personally love a cowardly villain of the 'let's you and him fight' variety. He'll use his super powers if cornered, if he HAS to, but won't face a conflict if he can 'run away to fight another day!'

I've a friend whose Prussian officer would make Flashman seem down right heroic.  ;D

Okay, he's had a brave moment or three, though Flashman did as well, BY APPEARANCES.  lol

Doug

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
By appearances or by accident?

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Save the Princess; Barsoomian style & En Garde adaptations for Barsoom
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 06:17:47 PM »
By a careful retelling of events...  lol

Doug

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 07:18:23 AM »
By the winner writing history.

Which, incidentally, is a very amusing rule for writing AARs  lol

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 07:20:13 AM »
John Carter keeps his super-powers because of the way he travels to Mars.
The troopships that travel the Edison aether wave take ages to get there during which time the troops get out of condition, and when they first arrive on Mars (until they acclimatise) they are at a distinct disadvantage to the natives - heat, dust, insects etc make them slower and less agile, and only superior firepower keeps them alive (although that can't be relied on).

Nah, that doesn't work for me, John Carter gradually losing his super powers? Never! Life, as is gaming, is all about choices.

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 01:27:54 PM »
Great table and miniatures. if you had fun then all worth it never judge your  endeavours.

I love Barsoom, and using En Garde is a great idea I had not thought of. I just wish I could find some high quality figures in 15mm (or maybe 20mm) to make it happen. Khurasan may be doing something roughly in this vein. When I look at Tin Man miniatures I can only sigh longingly...

Offline Mo!

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 02:01:05 PM »
Looks and sounds awesome!
Be mindful of the prayers you send
Pray hard but pray with care
For the tears that you are crying now
Are just your answered prayers

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 07:51:11 PM »
I love Barsoom, and using En Garde is a great idea I had not thought of. I just wish I could find some high quality figures in 15mm (or maybe 20mm) to make it happen. Khurasan may be doing something roughly in this vein. When I look at Tin Man miniatures I can only sigh longingly...

Now would be a 'good' time to give into longings, accept the 28mm.

Tin Man's is 35% off until the 14th.  ;)

Doug