Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:13:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My own 20mm Modern Africa thread  (Read 2808 times)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
My own 20mm Modern Africa thread
« on: August 04, 2016, 10:14:21 PM »
Although my painting skills are nowhere near those of the illustrious Jacksarge or Ash, I've been inspired by their threads to create my own. First, a little background.

I began 20mm Modern Africa (which I define as post WW II) more than 10 years ago. I wrote my own set of rules in which players controlled 4-5 squads of up to 10 or so figures each. The rules worked great, I ran them for my friends, I ran them at conventions, and everyone was happy. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Of course, my interest in other periods eventually nudged my Africa games to the sideline. When I published my French & Indian War skirmish rules (see signature photo), the days of gaming the wild political antics in the Congo seemed lost forever. But no period ever truly dies with us gamers, does it? It doesn't take much to get us interested in it again, and dusting off those figures. In my case, it was Jacksarge and Ash's threads.

So, full circle, right? I just finished painting these 10 guys and figured I'd go ahead and post photos of them. I have another batch that was done a week or so ago, but like a space cadet, I forgot about them when I had the camera and scenery out. Feel free to comment, disparage, or encourage. The figures are all Liberation Miniatures from their Falklands line.

I love the backpacks on these guys (though I imagine they don't like carrying them!)...

And another squad out on jungle patrol...

I subscribe to the theory that equipment would not all be identical like a soldier getting his first issue in Basic Training. Some is older and weathered, some newer, some from a different line of OD/Camo. I like the hodgepodge look it gives, and what's more, it makes the detail on the figs stand out more.

Anyway, enjoy! There's more to come!

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: My own 20mm Modern Africa thread
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 11:28:28 PM »
Funny that you dug out figures you have not played with for years.
I do that all the time.
Work like mad on a time period, play it a lot for a time.
Then put it away and not play with it for years.
I do look forward to seeing what you show next in this time period.
Maybe it will get off my butt and painting figures started years ago.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 02:15:31 AM »
They look great to me.  Liberation mins?
Hope to see more of them.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 03:02:24 AM »
Liberation mins?

I think they go more by RH Models, nowadays. But when I bought them, they were calling themselves Liberation Miniatures.
http://www.rhmodels.com/

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

Mike Demana

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 05:53:58 PM »
Hi everyone!

And here are those figs I finished last week. I looked at my forces and remembered I needed more RPG and LMG armed troops for the various factions I'd painted up. I went through my unpainted packs and pulled all of them out. Then I decided which I would paint up to supplement which faction. That is why it is only about 2-3 in each uniform style. While I was at it, I decided to pose them next to some new terrain and battlefield clutter I've painted up relatively recently.

Some African figures in Khaki uniforms (Katanga?), along with a white mercenary. The Africans are from a couple packs I bought years back, but can't remember whose. I know they were supposed to be PLO or Middle Eastern figures.

Some Acheson Creations resin pieces and an unfinished ruined building are the backdrop for these Olive Drab uniformed figures. The one on the left is from that same mystery Arab pack, while the one on the right is from Liberation Miniatures.

African militia in civilian clothes (once again from the mystery manufacturer -- I took them out of their packs long ago). The backdrop here are some resin "Jersey barricades" from Miniature Building Authority.

This extreme closeup, although not necessarily flattering of my painting, shows the camo pattern I painted on these guys. The left two are from Liberation Miniatures. The backdrop are resin sandbags from Acheson Creations.

One LMG from Liberation Miniatures and one RPG from above mentioned mystery pack. This was my take on a tiger strip camo pattern. They are posed against an Acheson Creations stone wall.

You may also have noted the way I distinguish which miniatures are LMG as opposed to assault rifles for my rules. I cut up some brass wire and put it on the base of the LMG guys so you can tell at a glance which is which. Hope you enjoyed these...more will be on the way next week, I hope!

Mike Demana

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 08:40:28 PM »
Are you using your own background? Or trying real world events?

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 09:26:47 PM »
Great Job ,I notice lot of guys write their own rules. Could I Share your pictures w/ my Yahoo  and Facebook group ModernAfricanBushwars? I will give due credit and post your Link to your site,we have lots of Links, albums etc..and lots of Imagination players. Again great job ,I;m trying to get one started myself. http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ModernAfricanBushwars  The Paint6ing is by one of our Members ?Johnny Wynne Hopkins" former officer of the Rhodesian African Rifles.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 12:27:43 PM »
Absolutely! Feel free to cross-post my photos. I'll check out the group. I will be publishing my own rules, too, and will let everyone know when they're available, as well.

I'm using real-world events. Most of the games I ran in the past were set in The Congo. Its road to independence was the most rocky, with multiple factions and outside involvement. I did run a fictional campaign, Chaos in Kammebalango, for my players for a handful of turns. Here's the link to that:
http://kammebalango.blogspot.com/

Thanks for your feedback!

Mike Demana

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 08:36:29 PM »
thankyou very much.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 04:25:00 PM »
Hi everyone,

The first two weeks of school intervened with my posting my latest pics. I've added Officer rules to my modern Africa rules that I will be publishing. Each faction, or player force, will have one commander figure on the table. They fit nicely into the way the rules work, but there was one problem: I had no officer figures, as such, painted up!

I sorted through my unpainted 20mm lead and pull out 10 figs, which should be plenty. Like with the RPG/LMG figs, I painted them to match existing squads that I'd already painted up. I also built up the bases slightly, so that they would subtly appear to stand out from the rank and file.

So, here they are!

U.N. commander from the Ghana contingent deployed to The Congo

Officer from the paratrooper battalion, trained by the Belgians

Officer in camo uniform leading his force on a patrol through the streets

Mercenary commander...called this guy "Rambo"...can anyone guess why? lol

Officers in Olive Drab uniforms directing their force

One of two militia commanders I painted up...with gold bling, of course! lol

The other militia commander, my black wash at the end "erased" most of the gray in his beard and hair I intended to make him stand out with...!

General figure in dress greens, saluting. This was actually painted by a friend who gave it to me, but I ended up not liking the black uniform and repainted it

The building in the background I had just finished up, too, so decided to showcase it in my photographs. Feel free to add your comments or suggestions! Thanks for looking...

Mike Demana

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 06:25:14 PM »
Love it ,I have a lot painted ,but need to get my group involved. Keep up the good work.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 02:20:40 AM »
Good idea, always nice to know who's in charge.