Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:50:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm fortified manor house/church stronghold  (Read 10023 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: 28mm fortified manor house/church stronghold
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2016, 08:27:43 AM »
The evidence is that many, possibly most large stone medieval buildings, castles, churches etc, which we see today as stone coloured structures or ruins were rendered and painted. Harlech Castle for instance was rendered and painted white, so it would have appeared a brilliant and shock and awe inspiring statement of power and prestige, high on its sea cliff - something like Minas Tirith in the movies...

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2016, 10:36:40 AM »
I think I may add a little more color to it just to break it up a little from being too monochrome...make it a little more interesting to the eye.

Carl, it really is a cracking build and I love the shape of it.
I do think it would be taken to the next level by adding a little variation in colour.
'Flat' grey does not do it justice.
If you look at the picture that Scurv so thoughtfully provided you can see the point I am trying to get at perfectly.

Stone is not USUALLY one tone but several.
A few diluted brown ink washes would really help achieve the effect in the above picture and, in my opinion, improve the effect of the paintjob.
Slightly differing tones, easiest to achieve by watering down the washes as you go, on a few of the individual blocks would do the job nicely without having to repaint the whole thing.
 ;)

I look forward to more pictures.
 :)

Offline roadskare63

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2016, 11:46:48 PM »
OK!!!!...As promised...MORE pictures...BEHOLD!!!... ;D

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 06:51:06 AM by roadskare63 »

Offline roadskare63

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2016, 11:49:43 PM »

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 06:59:56 AM by roadskare63 »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2016, 11:52:49 PM »
Giving it those extra colours really does lift it  8)

I like what you've done for the interior as well  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline roadskare63

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2016, 12:01:10 AM »

There are numerous floors for action play...the walls of the "church" section are removable if it is desired as simply a Great hall...and there are living and eating quarters in the tower section...the lord's room is at the top floor...the soldier's bunk room is second floor...either a library, or servant's quarters third floor of couse the ground floor is the meet and greet and would have tables for dining and the fireplace would be the kitchen...i have a trap door into the sublevels that would be used for storage and livestock/horses in times of siege.
I did brownwash/weather some to the extent I was happy with to break up the "battleship grey".
I think it turned out pretty well and I may lay in some minor details later, but at this point al the major construction and paint work is complete.
If you look inside the :church" section you will find that the walls are removable as desired ...this could be a fortified manor house OR a fortified church depending on the game.
Anyway, let me know what you think...ALL criticism is welcomed.

Thank you ALL again for helping to inspire me to move forward with my craft!!

Cheers,
Carl
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 06:55:37 AM by roadskare63 »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2016, 06:47:20 AM »
That has come out really well.
The brown washes really help add some nice variation to the initial flat grey colour and add some depth to the walls.
 8) 8)

The interior is excellent and should provide plenty of options for gaming taking it to another level.
 :-*

Well done, sir, for producing a great build with loads of gaming potential.
 :)

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2016, 07:39:12 AM »
I like it very nice indeed :-*
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2016, 08:43:27 AM »
Lovely model. ;D

Adding the extra colour really breaks up the dull one colour effect and brings it to life. It looks much more realistic, I bet you are pleased with the results of your labours. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2016, 08:53:19 AM »
Superb model , I can only marvel at the artistry displayed on this forum.  The work involved from initial concept to completion is obvious to the viewer . Sit back and pour yourself a beer / coffee and give yourself a pat on the back, thanks for posting .

Offline roadskare63

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2016, 07:12:16 PM »
Hey, I must thank each and every one of you for stating your opinions!!...It drives me to keep doing what I love to do and keep growing!!

Personally, I love BOTH versions...the plainer "battleship grey" and the later weathered and stained version as well...i will continue to complete both versions as I see fit...or depending on how LAZY I may be at the time lol
 Anyway...again I bow to you on this site as y'all really DO have a part in what and how I build.
Cheers to ya all!!...
Carl

P.S....this one was a suggestion from the wife...I went a lil overboard, but I am proud of what I made.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2016, 06:43:38 AM »
you can be very proud indeed

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2016, 08:34:52 AM »
Can I make a suggestion on the interior walls?

We're used to seeing castles in films and to wth bare stone or plastered walls. Main rooms and even corridors were panelled or covered in tapestry. Where they were left bare they were often detailed with paintings or mouldings.

If you have a Google at Stirling Castle, where a lot of work has been done on restoring the interior to its former medieval and Renaissance splendour, you'll see what I mean.

Great work though!

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2016, 10:32:32 PM »
I think a little more colour. Hear me out. At a distance it looks good closer up it looks almost like rust. I personally would have left well alone because the first version looked great to me.  But it is your toy so you do what ever you like.

The other thing is I thought with a castle wall they would have used the one type of stone for the bricks forming the outer wall. The hardest stone they could cut nearby would be the logical choice. Hence would it not all be a 'uniform' sort of colour. The interior stone might be a mix as it was more a filler product and getting as much as possible from close as possible as easily as possible would make sense regardless of the type of stone it was. I can see that being sourced from multiple locations but not the outer bricks of the walls.

A little more colour would make it look like it was quarried from somewhere where all the stone was brownish grey.

But stone is a natural material, and can vary quite a bit. Take a look at a cliff or a quarry wall and you will often see stripes of different colour, or just subtle changes of shade. Also, some walls attract moss etc which is another natural material that comes in varying colours and doesn't grow uniformly.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2016, 09:01:33 AM »
If you need to see good stone colours for a period house this is the one that i have been using as a ref, when planning to build my own Fortified Manor.

It's Provanhall House in Glasgow.