Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:34:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 40k Fiction?  (Read 2738 times)

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
40k Fiction?
« on: August 16, 2016, 08:21:25 PM »
It's been ages since I've played 40k, but I really like the fluff. Which are the best book series'?

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
Re: 40k Fiction?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 08:39:03 PM »
The Hours Heresy ones aren't too bad.

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 09:40:40 PM »
If you like IG, don't miss the Dan Abnett's "Gaunt's Ghosts" series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaunt%27s_Ghosts

And from the same author, "Double Eagle" and "Titanicus"

Graham McNeill is also great, specially his Ultramarines novels series:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31638.The_Ultramarines_Omnibus
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13258966-ultramarines

Offline Bergil

• Mad Scientist
  • Toy maker
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 10:00:06 PM »
I have a rather expensive book called hellstorm or something. It's two stories about a black templar chaplain who takes command of a hive city to defend it from orks in a seemingly desperate last stand but pulls it off.

You might say that's a spoiler but you knew it was going to happen from the start. Anyway, these are pretty awful really.

I also have a book with a collection of short stories round here somewhere which are far more entertaining and rogue trader in appeal and story (I think). Happy to let them both go to for to you for a fiver plus postage if you're desperate for some reading material.

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 10:21:45 PM »
Yeah, if you want you can also see some of the books I have on sale here:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=74868.0

Space Marine Battles: The Gildar Rift
Space Marine Battles: Hunt for Voldorius
Space Marine Battles: Purging of Kadillus
Savage Scars
Victories of the Space Marines
Warrior Covern
Warrior Brood
Angels of Darkness
Dawn of War II
Daemon World
Fire Warrior
Dark Apostle
Dark Creed
Dark Disciple

I'm selling them because I decided to reduce my collection to IG novels only...or Omnibus of the Space Marines. I can do individual prices for the books if you are interested, just drop me a PM.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 10:53:36 PM »
If you like IG, don't miss the Dan Abnett's "Gaunt's Ghosts" series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaunt%27s_Ghosts

And from the same author, "Double Eagle" and "Titanicus"

Seconded.  Everything Abnett writes is way above par for gaming fiction.  His Inquisition novels (Ravenor series and Bequin) are particularly good for imaginative background flavor.

Sandy Mitchell's (a pseudonym) Ciaphas Cain series is much more tongue-in-cheek (think Flashman as an Imperial Conmissar) but still well worth reading.

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 10:58:31 PM »
Seconded.  Everything Abnett writes is way above par for gaming fiction.  His Inquisition novels (Ravenor series and Bequin) are particularly good for imaginative background flavor.

Sandy Mitchell's (a pseudonym) Ciaphas Cain series is much more tongue-in-cheek (think Flashman as an Imperial Conmissar) but still well worth reading.

Damn, forgot about Sandy Mitchell! I found them a must-read. And I also forgot about the Shira Calpurnia novels by Matthew Farrer. The only novels that I know that talk about the Adeptus Arbites.

Offline galatea77

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 12:41:34 AM »
I think Dan Abnetts Eisenhorn trilogy is the benchmark quality title for me, can't recommend this enough. Ravenor and Gaunts Ghosts are right up there too.

The Shira Calpurnia trilogy Enforcer is a fun read being the adventures of a female member of the Adeptus Arbites.

The Inquisition War trilogy is a fun read as it's a very early 40k book.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 12:43:17 AM »
Damn, forgot about Sandy Mitchell! I found them a must-read. And I also forgot about the Shira Calpurnia novels by Matthew Farrer. The only novels that I know that talk about the Adeptus Arbites.

Oh yeah, I forgot the Calpurnia stories.  Top notch stuff there too.

Offline hummus

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 12:44:22 AM »
The talon of horus by adb is all about the formation of the black legion and is one of the best books ive read in a while
Actually anything by adb is great his night lords trilogy was great and so was cadian blood about the ig versus the death guard and zombies

Offline Chuck1372

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 01:35:30 AM »
I like the Ciaphas Caine books.

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 02:35:00 AM »
And if you want to read a very humorous take on the Imperium and its Imperial Guard, just read this:

https://regimental-standard.com/

I think it's updated once a week.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 08:52:16 AM »
The seminal 40K book is Space Marine by Ian Watson. It's literally the very first novel written and the origin of a lot of the current fluff.

Mind; a lot of the background has evolved and changed since then, but the careful reader can still hear this book resonate in so much of current 40K fluff. A lot of it was actually thought up by Watson (which was his brief when he was hired to write the book).

To me it's the best 40K book, period. Not in the least because Ian Watson was already a scifi writer when GW hired him, and his style is worlds apart from what followed years later. It's much more involved, gritty and atmospheric and I think it's the closest to 40K literature you'll get.

The Inquisitor/Draco trilogy follows his first book and this too is good, but does not reach the same level as Space Marine in my opinion. Especially the end feels a bit rushed.

But it's obvious where Abnett got his inspiration when he wrote the Eisenhorn trilogy. Which is another series I can heartily recommend. This includes Ravenor and the following books of course.

Then comes the first trilogy of the Horus Heresy series of books, which is awesome in its scope. The second trilogy is also good, but a bit less so, and what follows is quite hit and miss. Some are real page turners, whilst others are simply too bland to chew through.

Other 40K reads I really enjoyed were the Last Chancers books, the Soul Drinkers trilogy and of course Gaunt's Ghosts.

40K fiction tends to be a lot of hit and miss; there are some real gems out there but also some utter crud. I think this stems from the fact that just about everyone at GW is an aspiring writer and probably slaves away at their literary aspirations in their free time, submitting complete novels for publication by Black Library.

I do hope BL rejects sub-par work, but judging by what has been published, they either don't, or there are gaping holes in their quality control, because some true stinkers have made it into print. So stick to the recommendations made in this tread and you'll have a lot of good reads.

Just stay away from Sons of Dorn*...

* At least until you've read Space Marine; then you'll see that SoD is the most blatant of rip-offs. On top of that, it's bland, boring and not a little bit cringe-worthy...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 06:56:23 AM »
Thanks guys. I seem to remember now reading one or two of the Gaunt's Ghosts books in my teens.

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 01:35:38 PM »
I think Dan Abnetts Eisenhorn trilogy is the benchmark quality title for me, can't recommend this enough. Ravenor and Gaunts Ghosts are right up there too.

This.

Can't comment on any of the other BL/40K novels mentioned as I've not read them. But I'll vouch for anything Abnett.