Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:15:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (Commercial) Greek Hoplites by 1st Corps  (Read 3068 times)

Offline Madmick

• Scientist
(Commercial) Greek Hoplites by 1st Corps
« on: September 21, 2016, 09:51:45 AM »
New hoplites with swords by 1st Corps.

www.1stcorps.co.uk
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 09:09:14 AM by Mad Doc Morris »

Offline Madmick

• Scientist
Re: Greek Hoplites.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 07:00:54 PM »
yep!

Offline kuba

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 08:42:52 PM »
Also shields seem to be glued wrong.
I don't think that these hoplites are bad, but there are already many others, maybe some less popular range would be better

Offline delbruck

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 01:27:58 AM »
I don't think there are many 25/28mm Greek hoplites available in bell cuirass. It is a little strange that they would release them only with sword. Swords were very much a secondary weapon in hoplite warfare.

Offline Jericho

• Librarian
    • Plastic Warfare Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 04:30:48 AM »
They look good to me, although I'm more a Persian man myself.

I don't think there are many 25/28mm Greek hoplites available in bell cuirass. It is a little strange that they would release them only with sword. Swords were very much a secondary weapon in hoplite warfare.

1st Corps has an already expansive range of Greeks & Spartans, both in bell armour or linothorax: http://1stcorps.co.uk/product-category/ancients/ancients-greeks/ancients-greeks-supplement-packs/
These look like new packs to give some variation to the mass of spear armed troops they already have available.

De hem weert, ic salt hem lonen.

Plastic Warfare Blog

Offline delbruck

• Scientist
Re: (Commercial) Greek Hoplites by 1st Corps
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 03:05:37 PM »
I wasn't aware that 1st Corps had so many hoplites in bell cuirass (attacking, advancing, standing). Is this an old range? Perhaps they were trying to match the style. In the pictures the details of the entire range look very soft. Of course, the softness might just be due to the way they were photographed.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 03:07:59 PM by delbruck »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 03:34:42 PM »
I think First Corps is just a maker of figures in a slightly old school style. I'm sure they make them like that because they like them like that, and there's certainly a market for that more traditional style of 25mm/28mm wargaming miniature.
I don't think these are that bad - either the miniatures or the painting. I've seen far worse.

I do have to wonder if the wargaming world really needs more Greek hoplites... But then I thought the same thing about this company's recent Arthurian range... In fact, I feel the same way about a great many miniatures releases that seem to plough the same few old well-turned furrows... :)
But I'm guessing they wouldn't produce them if they weren't confident there's a ready market...

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 05:09:36 PM »
I think gentlemen you need to take a second look at 1st corps.This isn't a fly by night kitchen table operation this company has been producing miniatures for nearly thirty years (continuously ) it doesn't just follow trends it has maintained a steady market share and influences more manufactures than you are aware. It's ranges are extensive and Commissions many more sculptors than I care to be in a room with ,all of them work for other companies from warlord to Hinterland (yes on occasion I'm one of them)
There are multiple styles of sculpting through out their ranges .But this particular style of figure is so damned popular that we all end up having to add to these ranges in these styles,regardless of our own preferred style of sculpting.1st Corps doesn't advertise as much as other companies it jus doesn't need too,(be live me non of us are starving )
A quick look at Micks other posts on new products will show again different styles of painting .While I'll admit these are not to my personal taste.Mick will have a market in mind.

Just to prove the point all the figures in this picture are  1st corps,and all have been used in advertisements .
Mark.

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 05:21:17 PM »
Then bloody hell!
Those are poor, out of focus, images of poorly painted miniatures.
Those images are not going to sell those figures. If they couldn't afford to pay a professional painter then they should have just used inked versions of the models.
From those pictures you can't get a good idea of what the actual miniatures are really like and what can be done with them. And if those pictures ARE a good representation of the figures and what can be done with them then you'll be better off buying a pack of toy soldiers from Poundland.

That's a harsh comment, wouldn't say these are either bad sculpts or paintjobs and would certainly be more than willing to lead these to glory on the tabletop! The pictures could be a bit more in focus but to be honest they have pictures of them, have been delaying orders from some companies as you don't see the miniatures you want to buy. So to conclude like these miniatures in their unique slightly chunky style and if I recall correctly  they are also well priced so thumbs up to 1st Corps!
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline delbruck

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 06:16:39 PM »
Looking at the Spartan hoplites, it does appear the simplicity of the design would make them easy to paint. Many figures today have so much detail they are not fun to paint. If the casting are clean, these figures could make putting together an early hoplite army very easy. Only having figures in hand would verify this.

In addition, the range looks quite extensive with some nice special characters. The Leonidas figure is certainly an "interesting" design.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 06:29:42 PM by delbruck »

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 10:58:12 PM »
Give them Hoplites to one of the lads on here who can wield a paintbrush properly and I reckon we'd all be drooling over 'em!

:)
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 11:41:34 PM »
... Many figures today have so much detail they are not fun to paint...

Amen.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 11:46:01 PM by Melnibonean »
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/