Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:52:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Help with painting water  (Read 1553 times)

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
Help with painting water
« on: September 27, 2016, 08:21:33 AM »
I have just started work on some 1' modular terrain tiles.

I made the first nine several months ago and base coated them quickly because I wanted to use them for a game the next day.

As you can see, I have base coated the river blue. I had planned to drybrush ligher blue and white over this before applying several coats of varnish.

However the next three boards have a canal section along one side, and the bright blue will definitely not work for a canal. I want to be able to use the canal boards to form a quayside for a harbour, butting up to sea boards and to have an estuary board that could take the river into the sea.

Therefore I really need to find a compromise color / soloution that will work for a river / canal / sea so that they are all compatible. I'm not sure whether to go for blue / green or brown, so any ideas will be gratefully received!
Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: Help with painting water
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 08:31:06 AM »
I have found that a very very dark blue-brown with a high gloss coat works for most things. Here is a horrible stock photo I found that exemplifies what I mean:

that kind of high reflective ripples over a dark colour will suit pretty much any body of water.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 08:38:58 AM »
Yes, that is certainly a good generic image for water. It looks almost grey. Maybe I should use the Dulux app to try to sample the color.

Offline psullie

• Scientist
    • Paul's Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 09:52:02 PM »
i'd suggest use the same colour you have for your bank but darker, after all from high up water looks clear (the fresnel effect only works with acute angles), become darker in the middle and closer to the outside of curves as deeper pools tend to be there, then run some green smudges to suggest weeds in the flow of the current. A high-gloss finish as YPU suggests.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 06:36:47 AM »
Rivers are very rarely blue, far more often a greenish color works better.  Lakes and oceans may appear more blue.  Of course, in flood stage they are more likely to be brown - or whatever the dominant soil color may be.  But that very dark blue with a gloss (as in reflective) coating will work.  Another option is gloss black with a gloss coating.  I've tried it with a couple of layers of gloss with a hint of blue in some layers and green in others.  Works pretty well.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 09:56:10 AM »
I went with a darkish green for my docks, which should work pretty well for most bodies of water....

....white was drybrushed on to give an impression of movement and then a couple of coats of varnish.

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 11:55:33 AM »
Many thanks, they all look really good. My wife has gone out shopping for a dark greyish sort of color. We used Dulux app to take a sample from photo of sea, so will see how that turns out. I do however know really like the look of the greenish sea.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 04:17:24 PM »
I find Phthalocyanine green is a good match for deep water - it's a deep green/blue colour.
I used it for all my naval bases.